Author Topic: Animorph Game?  (Read 6861 times)

Offline Brad the Brit

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Cuz Im British.
Re: Animorph Game?
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2009, 04:47:50 PM »
.I have the board game sitting in my closet at home.

THERES A BOARD GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Offline Gaz

• RAF's Resident Coffee Addicted Pirate
  • God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2009, 04:57:43 PM »
Yep! There was a board game.

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2009, 08:49:10 PM »
I want it! :D

lol.

As for the battle system, I think something like Final Fantasy XII's battle system could work. The whole gambit system is actually quite brilliant once you figure it out, and it's a good way to control 6 different characters without your head exploding.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Gaz

• RAF's Resident Coffee Addicted Pirate
  • God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2009, 08:58:22 PM »
I'm sure you could find it used on Amazon or something.

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2009, 10:33:54 PM »

lol.

As for the battle system, I think something like Final Fantasy XII's battle system could work. The whole gambit system is actually quite brilliant once you figure it out, and it's a good way to control 6 different characters without your head exploding.

I havent actually played XII so I don't know how different it is, but the PC Animorphs game uses the turn based combat

Offline senter.pat

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2009, 11:03:39 PM »
No a turn based game would be an abomination. FFXII is actually a good idea for the gambits, but i wouldnt want there to be any commands on the screen... Like attack and all that, there should be a control for everything you can do instead of just putting in the command.

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
    • My tumblr
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2009, 11:17:39 PM »

lol.

I havent actually played XII so I don't know how different it is, but the PC Animorphs game uses the turn based combat

It actually worked a lot like programming, funny enough.... Which I only really noticed because I was taking a programming class at the time that it came out. *shrugs*

But yeah, basically, you pick up different commands that you can do, and then organise them in order of importance. Then, the game will do them automatically when the scenario comes up. Like, for example, I had my tank set to:

-Attack (Hostile target: lowest health)
-Cure
-Haste/Float/some sort of buff

So that way, my tank would always attack first, and then cure and buff him/herself once the battle was over. And then I had my healer set up something like:

-Curaga (Party member: health>25%)
-Attack (Hostile target: lowest health)
-Buff

That way, the healer would automatically heal anyone who's health dropped too low, but would still be attacking if no one needed healing.

And there'd be extra attack options, too. Like, you could have Attack (Hostile target: nearest) or Attack (party leader's target). Heck, you could even set it to attack your teammates if you were really bored.

But yeah, you'd essentially set up what your action is on one tab, and what the target is on the other tab. And then put them in order of importance.

Obviously, for an Animorphs game things like healing and buffing wouldn't quite work, since there's no magic. But, the automatic-ness of it is good. So, like, you can maybe have them set up to seek a hiding spot to demorph if your health gets too low, or something.

Offline senter.pat

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 01:27:49 AM »
I'm wondering what would happen in the game if using the storyline and say marco dies in the middle of the battle. You think thered be a way to get him back? or he would be lost the whole game

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
    • My tumblr
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 11:54:26 AM »
Hm... Well, I think it would be a bad idea for dead characters to be gone forever. Because then otherwise... Yeesh, yeah, you could end up with very few characters left by the end. I'd say that any dead characters will die for the rest of the mission, but then can come back afterwards. For the sake of playability, we can say that any "dead" characters are just unconscious(sp?), but if all the characters get knocked out, then it's game over.

Not sure how that would work with nothlits, though...

Offline senter.pat

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2009, 12:40:20 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines that if someone looses all their life, then they dont die, but you might have to do an extra mission to save them since they couldn't escape from the battle, a sort of rescue mission. And it would have to be carried out quickly, before the persons time limit was up. I dont see how we could work in nothlits... maybe for the sake of playability there would have to be a process to reverse it, but it would have to be so difficult that it would discourage anyone from ever going over the limit.

another thing i was wondering about, is what kind of leveling system it would have. and what they control. like at lvl 1 you can only have 3 morphs. Then as you lvl would you raise stats or would there be skills? Would we want there to be some for of currency? so that you could possibly get upgrades for your morphs? or should it all be advanced through stats and skills?

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
    • My tumblr
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2009, 12:44:56 PM »
I don't think limiting morphs per levels would be the best idea... I think that it should be just, if you find the animal and manage to acquire it, then you have it. And then if you use certain morphs more often, then they can level up. Things like strength and stuff can go up.

maybe for the sake of playability there would have to be a process to reverse it, but it would have to be so difficult that it would discourage anyone from ever going over the limit.

I think that would be the best solution. Maybe by doing special missions for the Ellimist, or something. That was we can make sure it isn't introduced until you do the mission where Tobias frees Jara and Ket.

Offline senter.pat

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2009, 01:23:13 PM »
I don't think limiting morphs per levels would be the best idea... I think that it should be just, if you find the animal and manage to acquire it, then you have it. And then if you use certain morphs more often, then they can level up. Things like strength and stuff can go up..

I dunno, then whats to stop people from just acquiring every animal they come into contact with? i think there should be a limitation of some sort. I mean all the animorphs can do any bird they want, but they all stick with their morphs...Well i suppose what you said could work, that spending time in the morphs makes them stronger... but maybe each morph should have a set of stats, instead of just having the stats on the character, then you have to lvl your morphs.

I think that would be the best solution. Maybe by doing special missions for the Ellimist, or something. That was we can make sure it isn't introduced until you do the mission where Tobias frees Jara and Ket.

assuming that the game does it like that. remember it doesnt have to follow the story line. maybe the group decides to kidnap a couple and starve them out. although if you had it follow the books, you wouldnt have to help free them tobias would have already done it. but a good place for mini-missions would be this place.

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2009, 02:10:35 PM »
yea unlimited morphs right from the start wouldnt be cool, cause then things would get too easy too fast, the best games are where you progress your abilities and powers

maybe you could have your experience level decide whether you can acquire a morph or not. So you come across and eagle and you want to acquire it but the game says "You aren't experienced enough to catch that animal"

So like if you want to acquire a bear in the wild, your gorilla morph needs to have been levelled up enough so that its strong enough to subdue it

And I think a more single player format would be best so you can focus on the moves of that one character, and have the other characters around be AI, but for team play I like the x-men legends and marvel alliance style controls, where you can toggle between four team mates

Offline senter.pat

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2009, 04:35:29 PM »
yea unlimited morphs right from the start wouldnt be cool, cause then things would get too easy too fast, the best games are where you progress your abilities and powers

maybe you could have your experience level decide whether you can acquire a morph or not. So you come across and eagle and you want to acquire it but the game says "You aren't experienced enough to catch that animal"

So like if you want to acquire a bear in the wild, your gorilla morph needs to have been levelled up enough so that its strong enough to subdue it

And I think a more single player format would be best so you can focus on the moves of that one character, and have the other characters around be AI, but for team play I like the x-men legends and marvel alliance style controls, where you can toggle between four team mates

seems to me that a tranqualizer gun would be useful, possibly kept in a pack and hidden before you morph. maybe you could have a teammate scavenge for weapons after battles, could even develop new weapons for beetter game play

its a good idea to have to be a certain level for morphs, but another way to control the available morphs is the gardens since that would proably be the main place you would be getting morphs

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
    • My tumblr
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2009, 07:05:43 PM »
I dunno, I'd be pretty pissed if I came across a rare morph only to see "You can't acquire that, yet!". I mean, that's like coming across a rare Pokemon, and noticing that you have no Pokeballs left. MAJOR annoyance.

The characters never had any limits on what they could morph. If they can manage to get close to it, then they can acquire it. Simple as that. The way you stop people from going on acquiring sprees is to make the animals harder to approach.

And, as has been suggested, have the morphs level instead of the characters. That way, it'll still encourage people to use their "main" morphs, and the rest of them will just be for fun.