Author Topic: Group Re-Read: #21 The Threat  (Read 3452 times)

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Group Re-Read: #21 The Threat
« on: February 10, 2009, 07:05:09 PM »
Summary
There is a new Animorph. And he's arrived just in time, because the Yeerks are preparing their biggest takeover ever. The ultimate target:the world's most powerful leaders gathered together in one place. What better way to get into the minds of humans? Literally.

At first, David joins the fight with a vengeance. But there is definitely something wrong. Because he's starting to break the rules. Taking risks that could get the all captured. Or killed. The Aniorphs don't know what to do. Because there was a tie when the Yeerks were their greatest enemy. That's about to change...

Questions

1) What, in your opinion, is the 'straw that broke the camels back', so to speak, with David? In other words, what made him turn traitor?

2) If David hadn't "killed" Tobias and began attacking the other Ani's, what do you think the Ani's would have done when David tried to run away? He wasn't trying to join the Yeerks, after all. Just...leave.

3) The Visser's plan to trick the Andalite bandits utterly baffles me for a few reasons. How did he know the Ani's would arrive the wrong night? Did he know they were listening when he spoke with the other people in charge of seating arrangements while in morph? If so, why didn't the others seem confused by speaking about tonights banquet?

4) Going off of that, the night of the fake banquet, how does V3 know that the Ani's are there, inside the hologram?

5) What do you think of David's "blowing with the wind", as Rachel puts it, during that first possible battle?

6) Anything else?

Next week: #22 The Solution

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline ChimichangaChupacabra

• Banned
Re: Group Re-Read: #21 The Threat
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 07:14:15 PM »
1)  He was weak-natured and generally just a screwloose?

2)  I don't think they'd have let him get away and start afresh somewhere else, if he'd already made an attack on one of them.  He'd be too much of a risk, they wouldn't let him roam free.

3)  Yeah.  The details of the Visser's hotel resort thing have always been ridiculous.  Oh well.

4)  Scholastic magic!  The targeted audience wouldn't care.

5)  Yeah, it was a mistake for Jake to let those concerns about David just pass.  Marco and Rachel couldn't stand the guy, it was always pretty inevitable he was going to cause problems, and not function in a group the way the others did.  Plus he wasn't exactly the most upstanding heroic citizen the world's ever seen.  It should have been dealt with right there and then.
"WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?!" - Bale.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 07:15:52 PM »
So, would you say David's betrayal is Jake's fault, for not addressing those issues? Instead he kind of rides with it, and sees how things pan out....until it's too late.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 07:21:49 PM »
The betrayal is due to a lot of things, really.

I never really understood V3's plan. It seemed to hinge on speculations and chance.

I don't think they'd let David just leave, even if he hadn't tried to kill them.

Ani-Master 2014!

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 08:20:28 PM »
Jake's fault?  Not at all.  David was scum.  They were just too lenient with him.

Offline dolphin4077

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 08:50:22 PM »
1.  I say when he heard about Saddler.
2. If David hadn't become violent, I think they still would have tried to reason with him.  Probably the best solution they could come up with would to have the Chee keep tabs on him.
4.  KAA probably thought Visser 3 needed a morale booster, so she let him get something right.
5. Bad choice

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 08:58:18 PM »
Again, awesome book

I've said it before and I'll say it again:
David's first reaction to birds (a bald eagle of all things!) is to shoot it.
He never had some defining conversion to evil, he was always twisted, and need an excuse.
What better excuse than war ::)

And of the many questions this book poses, one I never have answered:
When was Jake running around rooftops in tiger morph?
(I know, we don't know every minute of there lives, but still, the way it's mentioned in this, it seems like it should have actually occured along the way the series. imo)
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 09:08:27 PM »
Things don't have to always happen in-book, or on-screen in movies.  It's just exposition, way back in the very early book #1/#2 days Jake probably had a lapse in judgment, you know, being a KID, and did something dumb.  It's not really a KASU, at least not in the same sense as her other screw-ups.

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 12:19:53 AM »
On page 12 of Book 21, Tobias says <Can I grab a gull? Puh-leeze. Can Michael Jordan hit a three-pointer? They're just rats with wings.>

This is exactly what Nigel the Pelican says in Finding Nemo: "Oh would you just shut up? You're rats with wings!"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266543/quotes?qt0397044

I thought that was cool.

Offline yunyun

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Dreaming on :P
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 10:27:19 AM »
i have a thought about this book: why ON EARTH would a random red-tailed hawk that hates golden eagles follow one?! 
Starfire is my RAFcousin. :D
click?

Thanks Ouroborus! ^_^