Author Topic: Nightshade - A Superhero Story  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
Nightshade - A Superhero Story
« on: February 08, 2009, 11:19:32 PM »
I'm gonna take a break from updating some old stories for a bit, to work on a superhero novel series I've been working on for awhile.

The idea for this originally started one day back when I was in high school. Sometime in '01 or '02, me and my best friend at the time, Curtis Coates, were super-bored. My parents were out of town and he was staying over for the weekend. So what we did was take out my video camera and start making a movie titled 'Our Cool Life', with a production company we created specifically for it, titled JC Productions. However this movie, we were improvising it as we went along and had no script, and was filmed solely in one room of my basement, and had zip-all for budget. It took place in Alberta and started off with me (Wearing various articles of clothes bunched up under my shirt as breasts and a dishcloth over my head as long hair) playing as Allison, a girl pissed off with her parents. She packs her bags and runs away. The next day Jeff gets a call from his friend Curtis, who are both friends with Allison, saying that Allison is missing. Then we cut to Allison hitchhiking (Keep in mind ALL of this was filmed in one room of my house) where she gets kidnapped by a truck driver with a lesbian daughter (The daughter is never seen, only talked about). Jeff dons some clothes to use as a costume (It was all put together on spare-of-the-moment and I was making it up as I went along and gathered up various things to use on it) and becomes Nightboy: Boy of the Streets, and goes and saves her, running into some complications along the way.

Running time was 15 minutes. I ended up loosing the video after my mom taped it over with one of her soaps.

Then a half a year later the same situation, so we decided to make a sequel that we ended up calling 'Our Fun Life'. Again, completely improv, no script, and no budget, and in the same room of my house. In this one, it takes place in Newfoundland instead of Alberta, about half a year after the first one, and my ex-girlfriend Roberta is with a new guy that gets abducted and killed, and then Roberta gets abducted, and its revealed its by the town's new doctor. Ryan, Jeff's best friend in Newfoundland calls him up and Jeff dons the Nightboy costume once more to find out what happened. Along the way, while riding his motorcycle, he fights many goons and finds out what happened to Roberta and that the dr (Who its revealed is the truck driver with the lesbian daughter, out of jail and having tracked Jeff to Newfoundland) had kidnapped her. This time Jeff ends up killing the bad guy and saving the day. There was also a sub-plot about two cops trying to solve the kidnappings, but they get killed.

Final run time was 30 minutes.

Then we started a third one, which was going to be a horror-themed one, where a killer in a skeleton mask with a gray cape was stalking Jeff's friends and murdering them and it was up to Jeff/Nightboy to figure out who it was and stop them. We never got to finish that one though.

A few years went by and I made a Nightboy script, but by this stage, the character was older so I figured referring to him as 'boy' wasn't so good, so I changed the name to Arch Angel, but then later changed it again to Nightshade. Then I turned the script into a story, and now I'm going through to lengthen it out into a short novel. After each chapter, I'll also include some behind-the-scenes info on that chapter and some interesting little thoughts and background info on some of the stuff in that chapter.

Now, without further delay, I present Nightshade.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 01:47:17 PM by Slushie Ranger »

Offline Slushie Man

• Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
Re: Nightshade
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 11:36:17 PM »
~PROLOGUE~

It was long past the witching hour of midnight in St. Wainluk and the normally-busy streets of the small city were practically deserted and resembled what a ghost town would be like if one were to come across one. The reason for this was that most of the reasonable citizens were at home, long-asleep in their comfy beds. However, a handful of citizens were also out partying up the clubs and having a crazy time in the town’s famous wild nightlife.

Shannon Deakin, a young, polite, well-liked Kindergarten teacher by day, but a wild drug-addicted partier by night, had been one such person and was now stumbling down the lonely sidewalk of Main Street, obviously way passed the point of safe intoxication. Under her opened jacket, which the light cool breeze of the night often blew open with strong gusts of wind, she wore a shining red dress - her party clothes for the night, which had found itself on the floor of a stranger’s bedroom just an hour before. Some may find such a life a wild one however it seemed to be the standard for the town of St. Wainluk.

She stumbled and tripped over her own feet, but caught herself on the side of a building, giggling noisily to herself. She straightened herself up to the best of her intoxicated abilities and continued stumbling down the sidewalk. Soon she reached a long pitch-black alley and walked passed it without giving it any second thought. A sober person however, would know better then to pass so haphazardly by such an area so late at night without at least a tiny bit of caution.

Seconds after she passed by, multiple bouts of laughter echoed from deep inside the alley.

The laughter got a bit louder and continued to rise in volume as three shapes wearing long trench coats walked out from the alley, like African hyenas coming out from the shadows to feast. The more muscular heavy-set man of the trio had a circular golden medallion hanging around his neck, which carried a mystic green jewel in the middle and foreign runes running along the outer edges. This twenty-six year-old man with dyed green hair wasn’t well known at all among the general citizens of St. Wainluk, however the underworld of crime in St. Wainluk knew of him as Todd Godwin.

On one side of him was Jason, his black hair spiked up in long thick points, that were stuck up taller then any person should allow their hair to stick up. On the other side of Todd was Brad, who was a bit on the short side with a mushroom cut hair style, but his physical strength made up for any short comings.

All three of them carried baseball bats, and Brad also snugly wore a pair of bronze knuckle rings on one hand.

The trio of filth began to follow Shannon from a distance, but was sure to quickly close the gap between them and her. She leaned against a wall to catch her balance once more and Todd took that moment to rush forward and stand in front of her, cutting her off from her path. She turned to move around him as if he were nothing more then a boring obstacle in her way, but Brad stepped in her way, cutting her off yet again. Paying hardly any more attention to him then she did to Todd, Shannon turned around to face the way she came from, but Jason moved to block that path as well.

They had her completely surrounded.

“Let me by!” Shannon slurred frustratingly, still quite heavily under the influence of large amounts of alcohol. Her drunken body formed a playful smile as she tried to push by.

“Oh come now, sweet thing, surely you aren’t ready to go home quite yet,” Todd sneered. His voice lowered to a whisper as he went on, “You know, we can have our own party right here, ain’t nobody around to see.” He leaned in and slowly licked Shannon’s cheek. She tried to cower in disgust, but couldn’t move far without bumping into one of the other two.

“Leave me alone…” she pleaded quietly, silently wishing that what was about to happen was all apart of a dream she was having while sleeping soundlessly in her bed.

“Oh come on!” Todd shouted, contrasting against his previous whisper. “We’re pretty good partiers, if I do say so myself.”

As he leaned in to her again, Shannon started coming to the realization that this was reality and not a dream. In a last-ditch effort to escape, she suddenly slammed her foot forward with all her drunken strength, nailing Todd square in the shin.

He let out a yell followed by a few loud curse words as he bent down to rub his shin. The girl cowered away from her shouting and swearing attacker, only to have Jason grab her by the hair and tilt her head back, hard. She began to cry as Todd stood back up and frowned at her.

“Hold her still, Jason,” he ordered. “Time we teach this **** how to respect us.”

With Todd’s signal, Brad stepped closer to the girl, raising his glistening chrome bat high in the air. Just as it reached the pinnacle of its height, a black-gloved hand flew out of the darkness from behind him and grabbed the back of the bat tightly. The hand jerked the bat backwards, causing Brad to take a step back, not expecting the pull of force. The bat was yanked from Brad’s hands and flung away, clattering to the ground and rolling further away still.

The three street punks turned their heads away from the pathetic drunk woman to look at the newcomer.

The mysterious figure was dressed in black from head to toe; he wore a black baseball cap with a giant ‘N’ stenciled in white on it and below that, the figure wore a pair of sunglasses as well as a black bandana to cover his mouth and nose. The figure also wore a black leather jacket, opened up to reveal a dark gray shirt under that. Further down his body, he wore a pair of black jeans, toped off with a pair of black boots. Located on his hands was a pair of black bicycle gloves that covered simply his palm and the back of his hand, leaving his thumb and fingers free.

“I highly suggest you let the girl go,” the figure spoke in a low obviously-fake, overly-masculine, voice.

Todd, Jason, and Brad looked at each other and smiles broke out on all their faces. Things were about to get very interesting. This punk couldn't be any older then fifteen years old.

Jason let his grip on the girl go. “Sure, whatever you say.” The three of them faced the figure, smiling in evil delight. Sure, they’d let the girl go, but it’d be worth it to teach this idiot a lesson about who to not cross at night. Besides the girl was really drunk; if they were still in the mood for her after they were done with this guy, they could easily catch up to her.

Brad took out a switchblade, popping it open. “You shouldn’t have taken my bat, ****.”

Jason and Brad rushed the figure, Brad jabbing his sharp blade forward while Jason swiped his baseball bat. The figure jumped in the air and flipped over their heads with seeming ease, and landed in a graceful crouch behind Shannon. He stood and as he started to turn, he grabbed the girl from behind. After they had turned, the figure let go and continued turning, so he was now facing the street punks again with the girl safe behind him.

The figure jumped straight up in the air, swinging his foot out and kicked Brad in the bottom of the chin. Brad’s head snapped back as pain coursed through his mouth and he stumbled backwards, tripping clumsily on the curb and falling with a painful thud to the ground.

Jason ran forward to attack with the bat again and swung down just as the figure dodged to the side and slammed his elbow to the back of Jason’s head, making him to stumble forward in blinding pain. Then the figure half-turned in the opposite direction from before, and elbowed the same punk in the face. He swung his foot around the back of Jason’s foot in a hook, tripping him up and pushing on his back to make him fall.

Shannon, finally slightly more sober after her frightening encounter, couldn’t decide if the mystery figure would attack her as well. Realizing that she really didn’t want to take any chances by sticking around to find out, she turned and ran away down the street.

The figure raised his foot and slammed it down on Jason’s chest as hard as he could. Jason yelped in pain and let go of the bat while he painfully coughed. The figure kicked the bat away from Jason's potential grasp and stared back down at him.

“Get lost and make sure I never see you again,” he warned Jason.

Todd Godwin, who had intelligently stayed out of the little duel, took a step toward the figure, slightly amused by his display of theatrics and skill. “Who are you?”

The figure paused for a few seconds before replying in a near-whisper, “I’m Nightshade.” With that, Nightshade turned and ran off into the darkness.

As Brad and Jason picked themselves up, Todd stared into the darkness where Nightshade ran off into, realizing with curious glee that there was now a new player on the field.

Things were about to get very interesting indeed…

Some interesting thoughts and background info:

- St. Wainluk is a mixture of a city and a town I've lived in, and a friend's name. The St. comes from St. John's, Wain comes from Wainwright, and luk is the last name of my friend Allison, who was also a character in the original Our Cool Life home movie.

- Todd Godwin was the name of my real-life Tae-Kwon-Do instructor, Brad was the name of a classmate in high school, and Jason was a fat little **** in my school that used to think he was tuff and would go around starting fights, but would always loose those fights.

- Todd's mystic medallion never really has much of a point in this story beyond being some jewelry for him to wear, however, in the future Nightshade III, it comes back into effect as a very important plot point.

- The original Nightboy costume in the home movies consisted of the cap, the jacket, and the sunglasses. I felt it needed even more to realistically hide his identity though when I started writing the script, so I added in all the other things then. However, I also added in black facepaint to that revised costume, but then when I dressed up as Nightshade for Halloween one year, that black facepaint caused EVERYONE to think I was trying to be a black gangster (the toy guns didn't help I guess), and I managed to offend just about everyone, so in this re-write, I've removed the black facepaint aspect.

- At this stage, I've written this as one of Nightshade's first forays out in his new alter-ego, since nobody really knows who he is yet. I never really go into any specifics, but I've imagined he'd been out a few other random times but never really made too much of an impact until now, which is why he's so eager to give his alter-ego's name out.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 11:40:03 PM by Slushie Ranger »

Offline Slushie Man

• Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
Re: Nightshade - A Superhero Story
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 01:46:48 AM »
~CHAPTER 1~

Early one morning, however not nearly early enough, Scott Short ran across the damp front lawn of St. Wainluk High School, a light drizzle falling from the grey sky above. A bookbag jammed with thick text books was draped over his shoulders while the heavy purple bags under his eyes were easily visible for all to see. He pulled out his cell phone to look at the digital time displayed on it.

Oh no! I’m late, he thought anxiously to himself. What a way to start his seventeenth birthday...

Hoping to cut his lateness down a bit, Scott took off running again, rushing in between a passionate couple that was about to kiss.

Scott ignored the vulgar words directed at him by the boyfriend and rushed in through the front doors of the school, around the corner, and down the newly-waxed floor of one of the halls, almost barreling into a group of chattering students. He ignored the rude comments that included a few words his mother would definitely not approve of, and he continued to run as fast as he could, hoping not to get stopped by a teacher trying to get him to not run in the halls.

After a couple minutes of running and dodging various students and teachers, Scott heaved a sigh of relief as he approached the door of his first class of the day. He stopped before entering to straighten out his clothes and brush his wavy hair back with his thin fingers.

He breathed in and opened the door as he held his breath.

“And that’s why when you multiply 34 and…” his Mathematics teacher was in the process of explaining a difficult equation to the class when he stopped and looked over at Scott with a disapproving glance.

Oh great, Scott thought to himself gloomily as he slowly walked down an aisle of seats and sat down next to his best friend, Curtis Coates. He was really regretting sleeping in that morning and made a mental note to never forget to set his alarm clock ever again.

While Curtis shot a disapproving glance at his friend, the teacher picked up his speech from where he left off, many of the students turning their attention from the late student and back to their notes.

Scott took out his notebook to join in and sighed, rubbing leftover sleep from his eyes; Even though he slept in, he still hadn’t slept as much as he would have liked and he highly anticipated the moment when he could go home and get some extra rest and...

An annoying tap on his arm brought Scott out of his thoughts and he turned to look at Curtis.

'Slept in?' Curtis mouthed silently. Scott nodded his head and turned back around, not wishing to get in even more trouble, this time for talking.

After his math class ended and all the students were piling out into the hall, Scott told Curtis to go on ahead and approached his teacher at the front of the room, nervous about what he was going to say.

"Mr. Park, I just wanted to apologize,” Scott began.

Mr. Park brushed his thick bushy hair out of his eyes as he turned and looked down at the student. “You’re a bright kid, Mr. Short. However, you constantly show up late and very often only half-finish assignments.”

“I know, and I am trying really hard, but I have a lot of personal stuff going on in my life right now that I’m trying to deal with, and I also have a very demanding job that I’m trying to keep in balance with school and…”

Mr. Park cut him off, "You’re in school to be educated and learn to eventually get a job that you enjoy and that you can stay at for the rest of your life. Whatever job you have now, that’s only for just now. Jobs like that’ll come and go in your life. But this – School - this is important. This will determine your life, Mr. Short. I can’t tell you how many students drop out of high school only to be living under an underpass or some crack shack because they didn’t want to finish their education. They didn’t want to find out what they wanted in life.”

“It’s a little bit more complicated then that…” Scott trailed off.

“How is that, Mr. Short?” Mr. Park wasn’t trying to be rude. He was generally interested. His students’ well-being was always important to him and if he was able to help out with any of their problems in any way, he wanted to. It was in his nature, not a part of his obligations.

“It’s kind of hard to explain.”

“I’ll give you a chance to make some extra credit to catch up, but you have to promise to show up to every class on time from now on, and do the work.”

Scott was overjoyed with that news; he was expecting some kind of verbal lashing or to be in trouble, but instead his teacher actually let it all slide and was trying to help him.

“After the weekend,” Mr. Park explained, “I’ll give you a test on all the recent material. Study as much as you can in preparation for that test, and if you get eighty percent or higher, I will give you some extra credit. I know this will be sketchy for you, but be here.”

“Don’t worry, Mr. Park, you can count on it.”

“I hope so,” Mr. Park turned, picking up his bag, and started walking away only to turn back around. “And may I suggest an earlier bedtime, Mr. Short? Your eyes give away your obvious lack of sleep." And with that, the teacher went on his way.

During the short break transition between classes, the hallways of St. Wainluk High School were packed with students of all ages going about their daily business. Some were at their lockers, others were clogging up the thin halls by standing around and talking with friends, some were heading to classes, and others were aimlessly walking around the school in a giant circle.

Scott walked into the busy student-packed main hallway from his previous class, and yawned as he walked down the hall, heading in the direction of his locker and brushing past the other kids. Since he had rushed to his previous class in such a hurry, he hadn’t had time before to stop by his locker to drop his bookbag off.

He turned around when he suddenly heard his name get called out and saw the young and beautiful Roberta Hammond walking up to him as she pushed past the sea of moving bodies.

Scott returned the greeting and stared at Roberta, just as mesmerized by her beauty as he had been two years earlier when he first met her. Even though Roberta was a year younger then Scott, he had met her through a mutual friend that they had at the time. Over the following year, he and Roberta began to get close to each other and just when Scott gathered up the nerve to tell her about his feelings for her and ask her out, another student did first and Roberta began dating him. Scott had retracted a bit, wanting to remove his feelings for Roberta so they could go back to being just friends without having to worry about his feelings for her. However even though they stopped hanging out as much as they originally did, he never did manage to remove those feelings.

When Roberta got closer, she noticed the deep coloring of purple under Scott's eyes. “Wow, you look horrible.”

“Gee, thanks,” Scott replied sarcastically as they continued down the hall together.

“Late night last night?”

“Yeah, kind of,” Scott stayed vague on purpose. Of course he couldn’t tell her the full reason, obviously. “Couldn’t sleep.”

“Well you know you can always call me, even late at night like we used to do,” Roberta offered as she lightly bit her lower lip. “If I’m asleep, I don’t mind waking up and talking to you.”

“Thanks, but I think I’ll pass," Scott replied. Even though his feelings for her were so strong he could hardly stand it, he had given up on thoughts of them ever being together. It was always one thing or another standing in the way. He decided long ago that he would not spend any more time entertaining the notion. “Unless you’re really boring on the phone and can put me to sleep,” he added jokingly.

They both laughed for a moment but stopped when Roberta waved to a group of her friends who had just emerged from the female bathroom. “I’ll catch you later,” she said as she rubbed Scott’s shoulder with one hand. “Hope you sleep better tonight.”

“See you around,” Scott replied as Roberta went and joined her friends. Scott stared after her as she and her friends disappeared around the corner. A strong hand fell on Scott’s shoulder and he turned quickly to see Curtis standing there, just a few inches taller then himself.

“You should make your move,” Curtis sighed as the two of them walked down the hall. “Don’t be a pussy. You missed your chance before, but now you have another one. It's like a gift from God.”

“What do you mean?” Scott asked, his interest slightly raised more then it had been when he first saw Curtis. What was this talk of a new chance with Roberta?

“Oh, you didn’t hear?” Curtis asked, surprised. He figured Scott would have been one of the first to hear and would hardly be able to contain his excitement. “Her and Neil broke up last night.”

Scott’s mind began to race like a Nascar driver during a tournament. What Roberta had said earlier about calling her if he ever needed to talk, had she actually been making a move when she had said that? Or was he just looking too far into it? Scott normally wouldn’t entertain the notion that it meant anything more then a simple friendly gesture between friends, but under the newly-learned circumstances, he couldn’t help but feel there was something more behind those words.

“She just got out of a long relationship,” Scott started to say, after realizing that Roberta probably wasn’t in the mood for another relationship quite yet. “I don’t think she would want…”

“Now would be the perfect time,” Curtis interrupted, cutting his friend off. He had a habit of trying to push Scott into decisions he would normally never make on his own, and this time was no different. “She’s hurt and needs a rock to lean against. You like her, obviously, and she seems to dig you too for some reason unknown to me, so I say go for it.”

The two stopped by Scott's dented locker as he begun to turn the combination lock to open it. Scott had always hated his combination lock. It had taken almost his entire first year of high school to finally get used to turning it without messing up, and those bad memories always came to the front of his mind every time he went to open his locker since that year.

Curtis widened his eyes and hit himself in the head, feeling like an idiot for forgetting. “Oh by the way, Happy Birthday!” He couldn’t believe that he had forgotten. He and Scott had been friends for years and he had never forgotten his birthday before. Already in his mind, he was formulating a way to make it up to him in regards to a huge birthday party at his cabin the following weekend, with all their friends and maybe some random hot girls as well...

“Thanks,” Scott replied without much enthusiasm. He hadn’t been excited about his birthday for quite a few years now, and people rarely ever gave him a reason to change his mind.

Curtis got his first real good look at Scott’s sleep-deprived eyes. “Wow you look…”

“Shut up,” Scott cut his friend off, already knowing the end of that sentence. Scott closed his locker, his new books in hand, and they continued down the hall when the tall Leonard Pothier walked up to them.

"Hey guys," he greeted. Len was taller then both Scott and Curtis and wore thin but noticeable glasses, along with a black T-Shirt with a cartoon version of the Star Trek: The Original Series Enterprise whooshing around. Before they had a chance to greet him back, a couple of more muscular students shoved Len into the wall of lockers with force, laughing as they continued walking away, words such as 'Geek' and 'Looser' floating back to their ears from the departing bullies. Len glared back at them as he regained his footing.

When Scott and Curtis greeted him back, Len turned back to face them again. "Hey Curtis, I’ve got a trick for you.” Curtis turned to him and smiled as Len pushed his glasses up and smiled. Curtis was oblivious to the fact that Len had a very twisted plan in his head.

“What is it?” Curtis loved tricks. Growing up, he had attended more magic shows then he could count and even bought some basic magic kits himself.

Len took his thick leather wallet out from his tight back pocket and removed a seemingly normal quarter from it before returning his wallet back to its place in his pocket. “I bet you five bucks that you can’t roll this quarter from the top of your forehead down to your chin, without it leaving your face.”

“Oh, that’s easy!” Curtis chuckled, thinking that it would the easiest five bucks of his life.

“I don’t know,” Len went on, voice oozing with sarcasm which Curtis didn't seem to notice in his excitement. “I tried it last night and I couldn’t do. It was really frustrating.” He gave the quarter to Curtis, who put it on its side at the top of his forehead and rolled it down his face to the bottom of his chin. However, Curtis was unaware that earlier that day, when Len had been bored in class, he ran a pencil over the edge of the quarter and it was currently leaving a thin but prominent pencil-lead line right down the middle of his face.

When he finished, Curtis proudly beamed. “See? I told you it was easy!”

“Gee Curtis, you sure showed me,” Len tried his best not to laugh. He took his quarter back from Curtis while Scott, giving up on his annual birthday blues, finally broke a smile.

“So where’s my money?” Curtis asked.

“We never shook on it,” Len remarked much to Curtis' disappointment.

“Oh man, that is a load of ****.”

“So Len, how’s the new car coming along?” Scott asked, remembering that Len had been spending all his free time for the last couple months rebuilding an old car from nothing but various spare parts and scrap heap metal.

“It's coming slowly, but surely. I got put behind a bit this week though when I had to spend most of the week fixing my dad's computer. But I’m back on track now and it should be up and running by the end of the month.”

“Sweet,” Curtis exclaimed. “You’ll have to pick me up for school in it some time, and when I get my license, you should let me drive it.”

Len laughed, “Not a chance in Hell am I letting you drive my baby.” Scott joined in on his laughter as he remembered the time Curtis 'borrowed' his parents car the previous school year and completely totaled it by accident.

Len turned to look at Scott when he laughed. “Oh wow, you look horrible.” Scott instantly stopped his laughter and glared at Len. “What did I say?” Len continued, not realizing that Jeff had already heard that comment multiple times that day.

Roberta walked down the busy hall with Jolene Tucker, their other friends having already departed to head to their own classes.

Jolene brushed her thin black hair out of her eyes and behind her ears as her and Roberta stopped at a vending machine. "What should I get?" Roberta asked her best friend.

"Go with the Skittles," Jolene suggested. Her and Roberta had been inseperatable as friends ever since Elementary school when Roberta had given Jolene her own lunch after Jolene had hers taken away by the class bully. They started hanging out after that and discovered they had a lot in common and had just been friends ever since. Because of their closeness, Jolene knew Roberta almost always got Ketchup chips from the vending machine and also knew she was getting quite sick of them after all this time.

"Maybe I should just go with the ketchup chips," Roberta debated with herself, trying to decide if she should get the Skittles like Jolene suggested, or go with what she always got.

"Maybe you should try your luck with a condom machine."

Roberta and Jolene turned at the random voice and saw a group of laughing friends walking away down the hall before they merged with the other students.

"What was that all about?" Jolene asked, only to have Roberta shake her head, having just as little of an idea as her friend. Roberta turned back to the machine, stuck in her money, and retrieved the fallen bag of Skittles.

Located in the thick of the city of St. Wainluk, there was a special hidden hide-out. One that only people in the underworld of crime knew existed. To anyone else, it was mere urban legend and nobody actually thought it was real except for a few conspericy theorists. However, if it wasn’t real, then why was loud rock music playing loudly throughout the ‘imaginary’ building, causing the speakers to boom with strong thumping base?

This specific little clubhouse, known as the Snake Pit to those who knew about its existence, was located in a part of the city filled with old shut-down stores that have been boarded up and illegally broken into since, leaving the boards in splinters on the sidewalk. Half the street lights had been shattered and there was an all-around gloomy and hopeless feel to the area.

In this part of town, known among criminals as Outlaw Haven, used to be one of the more populated and busy parts of the city, until a bank robbery gone wrong resulted in an explosion that took out four buildings and left behind poisonous gas. The area was evacuated and just fell into the unkind clutches of Father Time, with no one looking after it. It got its new nickname by being overran with criminals and corrupted police, with the uncorrupted police too fearful to go anywhere near the area so it had become a kind of hidden refuge for petty thugs, street punks, thieves, and other criminals of all kinds and all ages.

Sitting in the main room of the Snake Pit was the short and scrawny Chief of Police, Chief Hanson, sitting on the red leather of one of the booth seats with a rather large man. Many people often mistook the man's largeness as being fat, instead of the more realistic explanation of pure muscle. If any of those people were stupid enough to voice that mistake, it was the last mistake they'd ever make.

Heavy stale cigarette smoke clung around the room, causing the non-smoking Chief of Police to cough violently before wiping some spit off the bottom of his thin mustache. While the large man next to him chatted with one of the two topless young girls that accompanied him, Hanson glanced nervously around the room.

There were dozens of tables set up, some used for various card games, others used for dealing drugs, and there were booth seats for just sitting and having conversations in. There were no windows or any way for outside light to shine through into the criminals’ personal club. There was a bar set up at one end of the room and nude dancers dancing in cages with neon bars of all colors. Strobe and neon lights flashed all over the room, adding even more to the atmosphere.

The front door opened with a creaking noise that was audible even over the loud rhythmic thumping of the music and Hanson turned to see a younger man with dyed green hair and a golden medallion around his neck walk in.

Hanson silently scoffed at the punk's lifestyle and bent over the table to snort up a line of white powdery coke recently placed there by one of the other men at the table. Before he had the chance to partake in the sniffing though he stopped and looked back up, wondering why this newly-arrived green-haired punk was now sliding into the booth next to him. Before he could ask anything, the large man – Mr. Jonas Becker as he was famously known as – turned his attention from the two girls he was with and faced the newcomer, stretching out his hand, offering a cigarette to the lad.

Todd Godwin took one of the cigarettes out of the crumpled pack and put it in his mouth, using his own metal Zippo to light it. He leaned back as he breathed in and then out on the smoke, putting his Zippo away again.

“I hear you got some news on this little **** disturber that’s disrupting a lot of my business,” Jonas stated.

Was this that guy? Hanson wondered. Hanson was vaguely familiar with the 'Disturber' as he'd come to be called. While neither he nor any of his officers had any experience with him, Jonas Becker, being the Lord of Crime in St. Wainluk, has been hearing non-stop about a mysterious figure covered in black, disrupting drug deals and other various crimes for the last couple weeks. Earlier that day, Jonas had summoned Chief Hanson to the Snake Pit, saying that he wanted him to sit in on a meeting he had with someone who had dealt with the Disturber last night and even talked with him.

Hanson eyed the newcomer up and down. He certainly looked like he was more then capable of holding his own in a hand-to-hand fight, but something inside him had him doubting this guy got away from the Disturber without any scratches, cuts, or bruises.

“That’s right Mr. Becker, I…”

The Lord of Crime cut Todd off, “Please, call me Jonas.”

Todd continued from where he was cut off, “As you've been informed, I had a run-in with The Disturber last night. Me and my crew. The son of a **** took both of them out in just a couple minutes, and you know how tuff they are.”

“Indeed,” Jonas’ interested was brought up a few notches. Todd’s gang was indeed one of the toughest around.

"Why aren't you hurt?" Hanson spoke up.

Todd glanced at him as if he were nothing more then a fly on the wall. "Who's this?"

"Chief of Police," Jonas answered matter-of-factly. "I want him here to hear your description of the guy so he has something to go on in his investigation."

"What investigation?" Hanson asked.

"The one you are about to start, into who the Disturber is and to put an end to him." Jonas finished his sentence off by slipping a thick wad of bills across the table in Hanson's direction, who greedily snatched it up and pocketed it.

“Is it true what they say?" Jonas went on, looking back at Todd. "About him being just some kid?”

“He certainly looked and sounded like he was no older then eighteen at the most.”

Jonas shrugged his thick shoulders, no longer as interested as he had been a minute before. “Then it’s just a fad. Some pimply comic book fanboy geek that wants to feel like one of his great pathetic idols. It’ll pass as soon as his fad ends. Next he’ll probably be a huge anime fan and staple his eyes wide open.” He paused, planning on ending his say there, but thought about something else and decided to continue. “Until then, he could pose a bit of trouble. He’s already a minor nuisance. Does the bugger have a proper name?”

Todd breathed in and then out on the cigarette before replying with, “He calls himself Nightshade.”

"I think I like our name for him better; the Disturber," Jonas chuckled.

Todd smiled and nodded his head as Jonas thought things over.

"You'd think he'd pick a name that'd sound a little bit more...I don't know...scary?" Hanson thought out loud.

“Judging from reports of the guy, it would seem he only comes out at night." Jonas finally spoke up again. "Chief Hanson, I want you to have your cops on the lookout for this guy during their nightly patrols, and if they see him, bring him in."

"It'll be done," Hanson nodded before facing Todd. "I'll just have you work with an artist profiler so we can get a picture of Night...sorry Jonas...the Disturber...for my men."

Todd nodded and then faced Jonas as the crime lord addressed him next. "Mr. Godwin, I want you to recruit more members into your gang. Hell, I’ll even supply you with some. Then I want you to go looking for him. It shouldn’t be too hard; just cause some kind of ruckus across town and I’m sure he’ll come straight to you like a moth to a flame.” Jonas stopped and turned to pay more attention to the two naked girls beside him.

Todd opened his mouth to speak, but Jonas had a feeling as to what he would say and turned back to him, cutting him off before any words had the chance to escape. “And you don’t need to worry about the pigs, will he, Chief?”

Hanson sneered, "Not the ones on our side anyway. I can't guarantee the honest ones but let me know what night you're heading out to do this on and I'll make sure none of the honest ones are working."

Jonas paused before continuing on. “Once you have him, crush him. He’s only a boy after all. He may be strong, but he can’t be that smart.”

“Yes sir. He’ll be ours for the killing,” Todd slammed his fist on the table.

“Make sure that he is. Now, can I buy you two a dance?” Jonas raised his hand and snapped his fingers as Todd smiled crookedly. Within seconds two nude dancers, seemingly slightly older then the two Jonas had with him, walked over and sat on Todd and Hanson’s laps, working into the beginnings of exotic lap dances.

Jonas turned and began making out with the two women on his sides, enjoying his life.

Just some thoughts and background info:

- Much of this story is actually re-written from an old action story I wrote in Grade 9 called Bullet Proof, about a mobster that has this guy's family killed cause he couldn't make a high payment, but his baby son was staying at a relative's house at the time. That kid then grew up in witness protection under the fake name Scott Short. The mobster ends up finding out about him and forces him to make the payment his father couldn't, or all his friends and people he cares about will be killed. A lot of scenes and aspects of this ended up being taken from that story, two of which are the characters of Scott Short and Jonas Becker.

- Curtis was named after, of course, my partner on the home movies, with Len being a friend of ours, Mr. Park an old Math Teacher of mine from Junior High, and Roberta being the main female character in the second home movie.

- The quarter prank was a real prank me and Len pulled on our old Band teacher in high school after seeing it done on the TV show 'Friends'.

- This chapter starts a running gag throughout the series of the bad guys referring to the hero by their own name for him and not the one he picks, although its a different name in each entry that the bad guys refer to him as.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 01:03:11 PM by Slushie Ranger »

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 01:38:59 PM »
Nice work so far man, I really like it. I should really start doing long chapters like this!  :P

The detail so far is impressive and I find the story idea interesting. I'm a big fan of superhero stories! I also like that you've included background trivia, but so far I've not seen much about what exactly Nightshade is capable of. I look forward to finding out!
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Slushie Man

• Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 01:44:39 PM »
Well he's much like Batman and those other realistic ones - he doesn't have any superpowers, but he knows martial arts and he ends up getting lots of fun gadgets later on.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 01:52:39 PM »
Yeah I thought that might be the case. I like the name Nightshade by the way, I've never been very good at coming up with superhero names.

Offline Slushie Man

• Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 02:02:59 PM »
It wasn't easy. I went through several names for him, and even after I settled on this one, I found out it was the name of a D.C. character in the 60's, but it was a female, the costume was totally different, and she hasn't been even mentioned in the comics since the 70's or 80's, so it didn't bother me too much, so I decided to keep it.

I was thinking of changing it back to Arch Angel, but I've already started a treatment for another superhero story involving a new hero I made up to fit the Arch Angel name.

Offline Slushie Man

• Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 02:37:30 PM »
~CHAPTER 2~

After school ended for the day, Scott had waited at Roberta's locker for her so he could walk home with her. He figured he'd use that time to get a reading on her and see if he could pick up any subtle hints from her.

They exited the school with Roberta laughing at a story Scott was telling her about a recent embarrassing moment, but they stopped when Roberta overheard a student that was passing them make a snarky comment about how he hopes Roberta hasn't been forgetting her birth control.

"What was that about?" Scott asked.

"Hey!" Roberta shouted angrily at the student, but he was long-gone. She turned to Jeff. "I don't have a clue, but people have been making comments like that all day."

Just then, Roberta saw Neil and his football buddies walking out of the school, laughing about something. "But I think I know where I can get answers..." Roberta trailed off and stormed up to her ex-boyfriend, Scott not far behind.

"Neil!" Roberta shouted. He stopped laughing with his friends and turned to look at her.

"How many times do I have to tell you?" Neil said to her, acting angry. "I'm not taking you back!"

"WHAT!?" Roberta screamed. "I dumped you!"

"If that's what you have to say to make yourself feel better, but stop stalking me," Neil said, backing away. "All those times you cheated on me, they hurt and I need space right now."

Behind Neil, his friends couldn't help but laugh and even Neil was starting to loose his tuff exterior to a few giggles.

"Oh, I don't believe this ****!" Roberta shouted. "You're the one that has been cheating on me!"

Neil leaned in close to Roberta and whispered, "It's your word against mine, slut..."

Neil suddenly fell to the ground, Scott standing where he used to be.

"Did you just ****in' push me?" Neil asked, looking at Scott threateningly as he got back to his feet.

"Neil, leave him alone," Roberta stepped between them. Quite unaware of his how well Scott could handle things if given the opportunity.

"Come on, guys," Neil said to his friends. "Let's leave this slut and her new toy alone." They all laughed as they walked away.

"Thanks," Roberta said kindly to Scott as she turned to face him. "But you didn't have to do that. Neil could really do some damage to you."

"I doubt it," Scott mumbled.

"At least I know why everyone's been acting weird to me today. I can't believe that prick!"

Roberta spent the next several minutes complaining about the situation as her and Scott walked down a sidewalk together, the high school getting further and further behind them. The bright sun shone down on their moving bodies, the light having long-since chased away the dreariness of the morning.

“You don’t have to walk me home you know,” Roberta said, still fuming over her encounter with her ex-boyfriend.

“I know, but I have to walk past your house on my way home anyway,” Scott replied, trying his best to make it sound like a casual thought. As far as he knew, Roberta didn’t know that he was kind of flirting with her, and he didn’t want her to until the right time. Of course in reality she was able to see right through him like a clear glass of water. “Plus I like talking with you,” he added, deciding to make a slight little move on her. “I can talk to you about things that I can’t with anyone else, not even Curtis or Len, and I missed that.”

Roberta’s smile grew as they continued down the street. “So what do you do for fun these days?” She asked, probing Scott for more information about himself. After all, they hadn’t really hung out in awhile and she thought it would be a good idea to move past her encounter with Neil.

“Oh you know, this and that; dressing up in a costume and saving the day mostly.” Despite his overly-sarcastic tone, Scott was in fact, not quite lying. As he expected, Roberta laughed, picking up on Scott’s sarcasm. Roberta's laughter brought a smile to Scott's face.

Roberta bit her lower lip as she decided to take the next step and make her own move on Scott. “Well you know, if you ever want to get together and do something sometime, just give me a call or come on over. I’m usually home.” she paused, and then added on as a joke to go with, what she thought was Scott’s joke. “Besides, I could probably use a dose of ‘saving the day’ to spice up my social life after Neil and I broke up.”

Scott suddenly turned solemn and proceeded with caution, pretty sure that the subject was a touchy one for Roberta after the events from earlier. “Yeah, I’m sorry to hear about that.”

“Don’t be,” Roberta replied casually, to Scott’s surprise. “Neil was a prick that, despite what he's claiming, cheated on me and apparently talked a lot of **** behind my back. I’m happier now that I’m not with him.” By this point they were in front of Roberta’s two-story house and they had come to a stop, the bright sun beating down directly into Scott's eyes forcing him to squint.

“Well this is my house,” Roberta stated, changing the topic away from Neil. Even though she replied casually to Scott, she was still deeply hurt inside by the whole ordeal. “I guess I’ll talk to you later on.”

“Yeah, definitely,” Scott said back, his heart thumping a million miles an hour. Roberta headed inside her house without another word and as the door closed, cutting her off from his view, Scott sighed and wished he had said more instead of just standing there like an idiot.

He turned and continued on to his own house, stuffing his sweating hands into the pockets of his old and worn jean jacket.

Fifteen minutes later, Scott neared his own home, watching some little kids that were playing in the front yard of the house next to his, running through a water sprinkler. Scott remembered those days when he was that age and kept trying to drag his father by the hand through the water. Oh, how he missed the simpler days when the worst thing he had to worry about was if he could snatch a free cookie before supper or not.

He turned the corner and walked on a pathway cutting through the grassy lawn, leading to his house. He walked through the main door and removed his shoes in the front porch. “I’m home!” he called out as he entered the front hall.

Raptor, Scott’s small black mixed-breed dog, came running instantly and jumped at Scott. When Scott leaned down to pet Raptor, the dog licked his face as if he had never seen his master in years. Scott laughed at his pet’s playful greeting. “Ok boy, down,” he chuckled.

When Raptor allowed Scott to continue into the house, he walked into the kitchen with Raptor following close behind him, and sighted his parents sitting at the family dinning table. They turned to look at him as he neared.

“Oh Scott, you’re home!” his mother exclaimed happily.

“Happy Birthday, son,” his father greeted. Scott thanked him with as much enthusiasm as he could muster. Truth be told, his birthday didn’t really excite him anymore, and it didn’t help that he hadn’t gotten many presents, or anything good anyway, for years now.

“How was school?” his mother asked as she did every day when he came home. He doubted if she actually meant it anymore, or if it was just habit for her to ask now.

“The usual,” he replied, shrugging. “Got a little bit of homework to do tonight.”

“We only got you one present this year,” Don Short announced to his son. Scott probably would have been disappointed by that news if he hadn’t already given up all hope for future birthdays. His father continued, “However I think it’s something you’ll really like.”

“Wicked,” Scott replied, again with fake enthusiasm. His parents stood up from the table, smiling. God, those smiles really creeped the bejesus out of him. He knew his parents meant well, but why on God’s green Earth did they have to be cursed with the scariest smiles known to man?

“Your mother and I knew how much you wanted one ever since Uncle Ron taught you how to use one,” his father spoke up. “Luckily my dealership got a supply of them in just the other day.”

Scott looked at his parents, a huge genuine smile forming on his face. His father was the proud owner of a vehicle dealership in town, one of three actually. If his present was what he was thinking it was, then this was going to turn out to actually be his best birthday ever. There was only one vehicle he was ever taught how to ride by his favorite uncle.

His face radiated with uncontrollable joy. “Is it what I think it is?” Scott asked, nearly hopping up and down.

“Go check for yourself,” Don beamed with pride and joy at his son's excitement. “In the garage.” He knew how disappointed his son had been with previous birthdays, and vowed the year before to make up for it this year. He specifically ordered the present in from Japan himself.

Scott turned and rushed to the garage door, his parents right behind him. He opened the door and walked into the room, flicking on the dim light.

A white sheet covered something big in the middle of the room that had not been there last time Scott had been in the garage.
Don moved past his son and went to stand beside the object.
His wife made a corny fake drum roll noise, causing Scott to embarrassingly roll his eyes, as Don reached and pulled back the sheet, revealing a brand new shining black MZ 1000 SF motorcycle underneath.

Scott’s eyes lit up as if he was the inventor of the very first light bulb and discovered that it actually worked. “Wow,” was all he was able to muster. Don reached down to the floor and pulled up a black helmet. He wiped a speck of dirt off and tossed it to Scott, who easily caught it in his hands.

“Take it for a spin.”

A large smile broke across Scott’s face.

Roberta sat at her small desk in her bedroom, doing homework. She sighed and squirmed in her seat, stuck on a particular question. Chemistry usually had been a pretty decent subject for her. She wasn’t great in it, but she was never bad in it either. Up until their newest chapter however. It had become her hardest subject and she couldn’t wait to be through with it.

After a few seconds, she yelled to let out some frustration and threw her pen across the room. She had no idea if Scott was good at it, but she thought about giving him a call and finding out when her thoughts were interrupted by the doorbell ringing.

“Can you get that?” her mother called out to her from her work room down the hall. Roberta's mom worked at the museum and it was her job to chronicle every new object that came in and often took her work home when there was a lot to do, which was why she currently had three large boxes of objects opened in her work room, and she was going through them, writing each object down on a piece of paper, along with its condition and a description of it.

Roberta got up and made her way downstairs and to the front door as three knocks sounded throughout the lower floor of the house. She opened the door and was surprised to see Scott standing there with a helmet in his hands.

“Let’s go for a ride,” he smiled, confident in himself.

“A ride?” Roberta was confused and Scott noticed that in her eyes. “I didn’t know you had a car.”

Scott moved to the side. His face lit up with joy once more when he saw Roberta’s expression when she saw the motorcycle. She was speechless. “I got it as a birthday present,” he explained.

“It’s your birthday?” Roberta asked. Scott nodded and she was shocked that she never knew. She immediately felt bad for not having wished him a happy birthday earlier, especially since he had remembered hers the previous week. “Happy Birthday. Sorry,” she apologized. “If I had known I would have gotten you something.”

Scott didn’t care about that kind of stuff. There was only one thing he wanted from her at that moment, and he had already asked her for it. “Don’t worry about it. So you want go for a ride?” he repeated.

Roberta smiled. “Sure, just let me get my jacket.” She disappeared inside for a few seconds and then re-appeared wearing a short black leather jacket with brown fur lining the collar and which ended right below her ribcage. They walked to the motorcycle and Roberta climbed on behind Scott and tightly wrapped her arms around his waist.

Scott grinned to himself as he closed his visor and started the bike up. Maybe if things kept going as good as they had been lately, he’d soon move on to asking her out on a date. Scott pushed the thought out of his mind for the time-being as they zoomed off and he brought her around the town on his motorcycle.

They zoomed past various houses and stores, and then the high school, and down dozens of streets, passing by more houses and an assortment of other buildings. Along the way, Scott sped up once in awhile, causing Roberta to scream in excitement, but then also sometimes had to slow down due to heavy traffic. They even had to come to a stop at a gas station once so Scott could refuel the motorcycle.

By the time that late afternoon turned into late evening and the two of them had ridden through most of the small city, Scott brought Roberta back to her house, safe and sound. Scott removed his helmet as Roberta stepped off the bike.

“That was fun,” Roberta ran her hands through her hair, still smiling with excitement and adrenaline.

“I had a great time,” Scott smiled back.

“Me too,” Roberta replied.

Scott planned on waiting awhile before asking his next question, which was why he was just as shocked as Roberta was when he actually said, “Go out with me.”

“What?”

Scott fought to control what came out next. He couldn’t back down now, so his only option was to continue on. “Tomorrow night. Go with me to the movies.” He waited for what felt like an eternity to hear her answer.

Roberta chuckled to herself, knowing right away what her answer would be. She just wanted to wait a few seconds to torture Scott. “Ok,” her smile grew even wider. “I have dance class right after school though.”

“Yeah, that’s ok,” Scott replied, relived and thrilled with the answer he got. This was his best birthday ever! “I have my Tae-Kwon-Do class right after school anyway. We’ll go to the late showing.”

“We should go for another ride too,” Roberta suggested.

“Definitely.”

The two stared at each other in silence. Scott thought about kissing her, but realized it was probably too soon. Roberta however, secretly wanted Scott to kiss her, but also wanted him to do it when he was ready. When she realized that time was not now, she finally broke the silence by saying, “Good-Night, Scott.”

“ ‘Night, Roberta,” Scott said back. When Roberta turned and went inside her house, Scott put his helmet on and drove off back to his house. He was even happier now then when he had first left, which at the time, he thought would have been impossible.

Thoughts and info:

- The motorcycle and it being given to Scott on his birthday is something else that was taken from my old Bullet Proof story.

Offline Gaz

• RAF's Resident Coffee Addicted Pirate
  • God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 05:11:57 PM »
Nice story so far! I like it.  8)

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 06:56:15 PM »
Proof that motorbikes are cool.  8)

Offline Slushie Man

• Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 12:56:00 AM »

~CHAPTER 3~

Long after Scott’s parents had gone to bed, the only light source in the entire house came from the computer monitor in Scott’s dark bedroom. Scott sat at his computer, noisily printing a sheet of paper off; he hoped the loud printing noise would not wake his parents up as he would certainly have a hard time explaining things to them.

To put his ease at rest, Scott stood up and moved quietly out into the hall and down to his parents' room. He slowly and carefully opened the door slightly, peering in. They were both still sleeping, Raptor on the bed with them, sleeping on top of his father. Scott slowly closed the door and headed back to his room.

He opened the door to his closet and on a hanger was a dark gray shirt hung up under a black jacket, with a pair of black jeans hanging from the bottom and the hook of the hanger going through the back of a black cap. On the top shelf of the closet was a black handkerchief bandage, which was laid flat. Next to it was a pair of black biker gloves and four sets of black sunglasses. On the floor below was a pair of black boots.

Scott reached in.

Nightshade opened the door to the garage slowly, careful to not make a single creek. He turned on the light and closed the door behind him. He went over to his new motorcycle and bent down, peeling a shape off the sheet of paper he had printed off. He put it on the side of his bike and pressed hard on it to keep it there, running his fingers over its shape. He stepped back to look at his new handiwork.

There was now a giant white ‘N’ on the side of the bike. Pleased with himself, he went over and did the same thing on the other side of the motorcycle and then he walked to a shelf and took down his black helmet and put a white ‘N’ on the front of that as well.

Nightshade folded the beak of his cap up as he slid the helmet on overtop of it, lowering the black visor. He sat on the comfy seat of the motorcycle, currently dubbed The Nightbike while it had the N’s on it, and started it up. He pressed a button on a remote that he held in his hands, to open the garage doors. He put the remote into his jacket and zoomed out of the garage and into the night, the garage door closing again behind him.

A lone street thug dressed in a ski mask and thick winter jacket hauled a brick through the frail window of a closed store. An alarm blared loudly once the glass shattered and the man quickly rushed inside, stepping over the broken glass. It wasn’t long before he had his sack filled to the brim, bulging, and he returned back outside.

He took a nervous look around to see if there had been any witnesses, and was content when he discovered that there were none. However he suddenly heard the sound of an approaching engine. He paused in fear and waited a few seconds, like a deer caught in headlights. Before long, he came out of his scared daze when he realized that judging by the distance of the sound, the vehicle should have been in view by now, yet he still couldn’t see the source anywhere.

He squinted his eyes and finally saw the outline of something moving towards him. As it got closer, he picked out a pitch black motorcycle with no lights shining, almost on top of him, however it appeared to be driving by itself as it headed straight towards the robber.

As it got even closer, he spotted the figure riding it, his dark clothes having camouflaged him from a distance, much like with what happened with the motorcycle. As the Nightbike neared, the confused robber didn’t know what to do. Panicking, he turned to run but Nightshade caught up easily and passed him as he zoomed by, just about clipping the robber.

Nightshade slammed on the breaks as he turned the Nightbike to the side, blocking the robber’s path as it skidded to a stop. The robber didn’t have time to stop and slammed right into the motorcycle, flipping over it and landing painfully on the other side. The Nightbike then continued on and came to a complete stop a few yards away.

Nightshade got off the motorcycle, still wearing his helmet, and ran towards the robber, picking up speed with every quick step. The man slowly stood up, but finally reached full height again just as Nightshade reached him. The vigilante did a back flip but as he did, he slammed one of his legs out so he ended up kicking the robber as he flipped back. The robber flipped back in the other direction.

Nightshade landed on his feet gracefully and walked over to the fallen robber, leaning down and punching him only once, directly in the face, to knock him out. Sirens could be heard approaching in the distance, diverting Nightshade’s attention.

He hastily returned to his bike and started it up, driving off and quickly fading into the darkness. He drove around the corner just as a group of police cruisers arrived from another street and piled into the area, their red and blue flashing lights illuminating the street.

Two people leaned against the back wall of a brick building, hidden in its shadow. One of them wore a white tank top and had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth while the other wore a hunting jacket. The later handed some money to the former, and in return he got a bag of ecstasy pills placed in his palm.

“Nice doing business with you,” Jacket sneered. “If this **** is as good as I’m told we’ll be seeing more of each other.”

“My **** is always good,” Tank Top shot back, slightly insulted. “You have a problem with my ****, you have a problem with me, and I don’t like problems.”

“Of course,” Jacket put in a quick save. “I have no doubt I’ll enjoy this bag.”

“Just remember who deals the best **** for the lowest prices and we’ll do fine in the future.” Tank Top kept a serious face, but Jacket smiled.

“Hi-ya, fellas,” a voice interrupted. The two dealers whipped their heads to see Nightshade walking out of the shadows toward them. Nightshade was no longer wearing his helmet and had his cap on.

“Steve, is that you?” Tank Top asked.

“Far from him,” Nightshade snarled as he walked closer.

Tank Top quickly whipped out a gun and pointed it at Nightshade. Nightshade stopped walking towards the couple. “Who are you?”

“They call me Nightshade.”

“What do you want?” Tank Top questioned.

“Well a Big Mac would be nice, but I doubt I’ll be getting that off you.” Nightshade joked in a serious-toned voice. "Besides, McDonald's is closed at this hour, I believe."

“If you want some of my ****, I can set up a meeting for another time,” Tank Top replied, thinking that the man was after some of his drugs.

“Why would I want some of your ****?” Nightshade asked, disgusted. “That’s just plain gross. Next you’ll be asking if I want your piss too.”

“Wise-ass mother****er...” Tank Top fired, but Nightshade predicted that and moved a split second sooner. However, Jacket saw him move and instinctively slammed his leg out, catching Nightshade in the gut. He doubled over and moaned slightly. Jacket went to kick him again, but Nightshade grabbed his leg and pulled up as he stood. Jacket’s leg went high up in the air and he fell down on his back.

Tank Top turned to point the gun at Nightshade again, but Nightshade grabbed the gun barrel with his hand and pointed it away from himself just as Tank Top fired. Tank Top used his other hand and punched Nightshade in the side of the head. Nightshade let go of the gun and stumbled to the side, moaning slightly again. Tank Top aimed the gun and fired again, but there was only a click.

“****,” he swore as he put the gun away and quickly did a sloppy uppercut to Nightshade, catching him square in the face. Nightshade let out a yell and stumbled backwards. Jacket was now on his feet again and moved in to punch Nightshade as well, but Nightshade blocked and punched his attacker in the face. Then he swung his foot sideways and caught Jacket in the chest, slamming him up against the wall. Jacket’s head hit against the wall with a loud thunk and he fell to the ground, unconscious.

Tank Top ran towards Nightshade, his arm pulled back to punch. Nightshade went to duck, but instead of punching, Tank Top slammed his knee up, catching Nightshade in the chin. He slammed his elbow down on the back of Nightshade’s head, knocking him to the ground.

Nightshade didn’t move. Tank Top brought his foot up and slammed it down. Nightshade quickly rolled over onto his back and caught the foot in his hands a split second before it connected with his body. He shoved up, toppling Tank Top back, causing him to fall onto his ass. Nightshade stood, but wobbled slightly. He turned away from Tank Top and slammed his foot to the side, slamming it into Tank Top’s face. He fell back, also unconscious.

Nightshade held a hand to his head as he walked to Jacket’s body and bent down, taking the bag of ecstasy from him.

Mother****ers…That hurt, Nightshade thought painfully to himself as he went to a nearby manhole cover and lifted it up. He dropped the drugs into the rushing sewage below and closed the cover.

Once he returned home later that night, Scott immediately went to the bathroom and closed the door. He was still dressed in his Nightshade attire, except he had his cap, sunglasses, and handkerchief bandage on the counter beside him.

He looked at his reflection in the mirror, inspecting his bruised and bloody face. After wincing a half dozen times, he reached for a can of some kind of skin-colored cream, and began applying it to his cuts and bruises.

Thoughts and info:

- First draft of this story had a spelling error that made is so instead of Scott peering into his parents room, he was peeing into their room, and it had not been brought to my attention until long after it had been posted on several websites. It's since become a running joke between me and some friends.

- In the home movie version, the Nightbike was nothing more then a brown humpty turned on its side, lol.

- Since I'm having Nightshade be kind of like a realistic superhero, I wanted him to have realistic encounters, as someone in real life that decided to do what he or Batman does, would more then likely get their asses handed to them more often then not.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 01:21:19 AM »
Nice chapter again, I like seeing the realism of the hero, even if it means getting beaten up.

Also, you might want to bear in mind that the bike is probably going to have plates on it...

Offline Slushie Man

• Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 12:37:05 PM »
Meh, just pretend he covers it over or removes it or something, lol. I'll write something about that in a future chapter I guess, lol.