Author Topic: Limit N00bs from viewing Life & General Boards?  (Read 10716 times)

Offline Nateosaurus

• Superhero
  • God
  • Now madness takes you, forever
    • My youtube :)
Re: Limit N00bs from viewing Life & General Boards?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2009, 05:54:43 AM »
This post limit idea is really stupid.

I really liked weathel's post.. it was great. It's true.

It's really simple, if you don't want it shown, don't post it. How many times do we need to go over that? lol
Most likely to have a superhero identity 2012
Best superhero duo 2012 (Team Phate)
Most likely to survive the zombie apocalypse 2013

Offline wildweathel

• Werret of Portland
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2009, 09:40:42 AM »
Say a newb arrives, maybe he'll actually post in the ANIMORPHS threads FIRST!!! Maybe we'll get that board to really LIVE, the way other boards do!!! Then, after he's committed a fair amount of time to showing us how he thinks, we'll let him know what our lives are like, and that we can empathise with him, too. ...

Brilliant point, Esty.  Actually, that's enough to convince me to support hiding Life and General, not for security reasons but for community-building ones.  I believe that there are two things that really bind this community together: a shared interest in Applegate's/Grant's literature and a sense of fun--not worrying about being a little crazy. 

There is even a small risk that RAF can swing to being a general discussion board, and from there it's a small step to an anything-goes board a la 4chan (though I think Richard would shut down before things got that far out of hand, and that scenario couldn't happen without significant turn-over in the membership--it's a possibility, not a prediction).  How we enculturate new members plays a huge role in the long-term development of the community.

If we do lock down these boards, there should be a sticky to the effect that "restricted" does not equal "safe" at the top of General and Life; even if you're willing trust the community as it exists at the time you are promoted there are no guarantees that future members will be trustworthy, etc.

As far as posting count, I recommend making Life and General a "Full Membership" privilege--50 posts.  That's approximately 20% of the registered membership, but a level that a new member can reach without getting bored.

So, vote changed from No -> Yes.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 09:47:56 AM by wildweathel »
Kony 2012
arrest the worst

Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Tocade since Dec '08.

Offline Coal Kropotkin

• The anarchist formerly known as Prince
  • Gold Donor
  • Howdy!
    • Mastodon
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2009, 10:07:26 AM »
i'm going to have to say no.
i do not think you should post anything you don't want others to see, (everyone here knows i post a tonne of info about myself, but i feel safe enough doing it, my phone number is based in another part of my state, my city is HUGE! [which i loath! haha]) . i agree with demos if you don't want it read, dont post it!
i do however like what este said, bu  not think a full member minimum should be required, it took me for-bleeding-ever to get that far haha (bored board! gotta love 'er!) if there is going to be a restriction on any board i would be more in favour of creating a NEW board that has a minimum rather than locking an old one (although i don't know how much goes into makinga new board... :/ ).
maybe- if it doesnt take TOOOO much effort- there could be an entire section reserved for full members' (or higher...).
or to encourage new members to post, a board for fulls a board for jr extreme a board for extreme ect ect

(could someone tell me the order of RAFranks please?)

well that is my one hundred million cents (yes, i DO count for that much :P )

RAFEngaged to Ash! <3
Kat's Awesome!

Updated phone: 423 401 8527

RAFJOP at your service!

Offline wildweathel

• Werret of Portland
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2009, 10:30:57 AM »
Here are the perks and rough membership stats.

Perks: Member Ranks / Groups Info.

Jr Member (10, top ~170 have this rank or higher)
Full Member (50, ~120)
Sr Member (250, 73)
Hero Member (500, 58)
Jr Xtreme Member (1000, 39)
Xtreme Member (2000, 28)
God (500, 16)
Donator (8 members)

Other groups
Sr Staff (2)
Jr Staff (1)
Ebook Contributor (1)

I oppose having more than two levels of forum access based on post count (there might be a staff board, and there's nothing wrong with that).  I don't want to fragment the community or place too much emphasis on rank (this isn't the bleeding army!), just have a chance for new members to get to know us and us them before they become fully a member of the "us." 

Remember, I've been active less than two months, and have more posts than GazStalker (who joined a month earlier than I did) and even the donators Cerulean and Vivian (and almost as many as you, Broken, but that's just splitting hairs).  Post count should not be everything!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 10:39:21 AM by wildweathel »
Kony 2012
arrest the worst

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2009, 10:52:44 AM »
well if you don't wanna go by post count alone, how about the ratio of logged in time and post count...or something else like that?

Offline wildweathel

• Werret of Portland
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2009, 11:42:57 AM »
There is no statistic for trustworthiness.
Kony 2012
arrest the worst

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2009, 11:51:04 AM »
no, but it's better than just post count alone...

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
wait is this gonna effect everyone or just the new ppl? Cuz the life and general boards r my favorite ones
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline Toc'

• Xtreme Member
  • One of RAF's French residents
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2009, 12:24:16 PM »
Yea I think it would be cool to have a small post count limit, just so random people cant sign up just to lurk.

But I agree with dameg, people definately have to be careful with what kind of personal information they put on the site. I know this is home and we all feel safe here, but its still the internet. So putting up the post req on those boards will reduce the risk, but not eliminate it.

I do think the same, but...
I think some threads shouldn't be allowed to be viewed by total noobs like the picture thread or the email/skype thread (not the whole "life and general boards").

Edit : I read the rest of the discussion (that could be a good idea  ::) )

It will create a much stronger sense of security than actual security.  The actual security is essentially non-existent, because it would be based on the assumption that postcount is equivalent to trustworthiness.  This is crazy.

You "might" be right.
I don't wanna say something else cause your my RAFenemy, it would be against my principles ^^ Plus, you've just ruined my plans now Yes, i planned to kill Esplin (in the kitchen with a broomhandle  ;D).

I'm not gonna vote yes nor no cause, hmmm, anyway noobs tend to post in the animorphs part at first >< cause it's generally the reason why they are on the forum and as they tend to discover other people they tend to post more and more in the life and general boards.
I don't know if there is a need to make them reach a certain amount of posts.
I'm neutral ^^
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 12:56:34 PM by Tocade »
Pink Piggy: Anyway, these are standard assumptions in economics. I have no problem with them. Quantum theory also seems weird but it is accepted, that is the way of science.
Brown Piggy: Quantum theory makes no claim about the motivations or welfare of quantum particles.
Pink Piggy: You just do not understand the mathematics involved. This is typical uninformed criticism of economics.

¤  Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Wildweathel since December '08 ¤

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2009, 01:02:06 PM »
oooook ignore my last post I now know this just applies to the newbies. I do think that it's a good idea to initially ban the newbs from the life and general board cuz like Duff said, this is the internet and we're gonna have a bunch of weirdos signing up on RAF just to look at ppls pictures r view their email addresses. Sooooo yea the post count thing is a good idea cuz then you'll see who actually joined to be a part of this forum or who just joined to get personal info out of ppl

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline Coal Kropotkin

• The anarchist formerly known as Prince
  • Gold Donor
  • Howdy!
    • Mastodon
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2009, 01:10:30 PM »
no, weathel, it is not the army.
however,it wouldn't be fragmenting the community, if lets say there was a NEW board, for just the extreme and up (can someone explain the God thing? please?). and NO it would not be a sign of trustworthiness, but it would be a cool beni of having such a high post count AND  would encourage RAfians to post in other boards besides just the bored board (my personal favourite...MAN if it only counted >< ) it may not be  a sign of trustworthiness BUT it would be a sign of loyalty...
you see my point?
however i do agree with you, that there is no way to determine a fellow RAfians trustworthiness, and i would not want anyone to mistakenly post personal and/or private information in one of these boards thinking it was safe because it had an elite membership.
so upon further review of my statements and a little foresight, i resign my idea but retain the fact that i think it would be sodding KEWL haha

RAFEngaged to Ash! <3
Kat's Awesome!

Updated phone: 423 401 8527

RAFJOP at your service!

Offline wildweathel

• Werret of Portland
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2009, 02:58:53 PM »
"God" = name for "Sr Xtreme Member".  It's the top tier @ 5k posts.  Gods can move and lock threads that they start, and have a 500-message mailbox.  That's all.

My concern is that if there's a "valhalla" board for XMs they'll spend a lot of time there and disappear from the regular community.  That's all.

this is the internet and we're gonna have a bunch of weirdos signing up on RAF just to look at ppls pictures r view their email addresses.

Well, we could, but I don't actually expect that to be much of a problem--the vast majority of people are mostly trustworthy--but it just takes one really bad apple to spoil the whole thing.  As far as putting my e-mail out goes: by now, I've just resigned myself to a few hundred e-mails a month advertising dubious "supplements" or, um, appliances.  Fortunately, Google has a good spam filter.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 03:00:30 PM by wildweathel »
Kony 2012
arrest the worst

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2009, 03:01:34 PM »
*chuckle*
Honestly, I kinda' like the idea of a Valhalla board (or would it be Asgard? Olympus?), but I agree that it would probably limit how much time the RAFpantheon spends in normal RAF. :P
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2009, 07:31:30 PM »
*chuckle*
Honestly, I kinda' like the idea of a Valhalla board (or would it be Asgard? Olympus?), but I agree that it would probably limit how much time the RAFpantheon spends in normal RAF. :P
U mean any more than RAFchat has done XD? I think that's actually a good idea.

Glaflafock

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • Richard's Animorphs Forum
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2009, 11:45:19 PM »
Love reading all your opinions.