Author Topic: Safety  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Toc'

• Xtreme Member
  • One of RAF's French residents
Safety
« on: January 22, 2009, 08:57:19 PM »
After Queen's remark on the "picture of yourself" thread, I'm making a suggestion I had already thought of before.
Why not improving the safety of the members by preventing people to see some parts of the posts or some threads (like the pictures one) as long as they haven't reached a certain amount of posts.
Cause everybody can log in the forum and directly access to more private things...
And personaly I don't find it normal nor safe.
Pink Piggy: Anyway, these are standard assumptions in economics. I have no problem with them. Quantum theory also seems weird but it is accepted, that is the way of science.
Brown Piggy: Quantum theory makes no claim about the motivations or welfare of quantum particles.
Pink Piggy: You just do not understand the mathematics involved. This is typical uninformed criticism of economics.

¤  Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Wildweathel since December '08 ¤

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • Richard's Animorphs Forum
Re: Safety
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 10:10:17 PM »
Anyone can post. So having a restriction on boards that are tied to post counts are also useless.

Members should be cautious of what they post; after all this is a public forum.

esplin

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 10:29:15 PM »
Richards right, Even though I totally don't follow what he says. XD

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 10:30:44 PM »
haha. As in, if we have post-count restrictions on boards, people will simply post to get to the post requirement. That's not security, that's a little stone in the road; not a wall.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 10:42:47 PM »
haha. As in, if we have post-count restrictions on boards, people will simply post to get to the post requirement. That's not security, that's a little stone in the road; not a wall.

still, wouldn't that help?
i'd prefer a 'little stone' than nothing.
maybe like 20 posts minimum or something?

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 11:04:23 PM »
if you're worried about your safety, just don't say it on the threads, or say it through PM. like what estelore does. she never gives out anything that could allow someone to find her, unless someone guesses it (like anna), and even then it's through PM.

Offline wildweathel

• Werret of Portland
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 03:05:31 PM »
My real name is on a need-to know basis.  I don't post pictures of myself, nor of nor taken from my home.  My address is only given to the nearest major city (and a good linguist could figure that out from my accent).  My advice to everyone is to come up with a policy for what you are willing to share and stick to it.
Kony 2012
arrest the worst

Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Tocade since Dec '08.

Offline Qwerty the Charliecorn

• The cannibalistic pipe-dweller
  • Xtreme Member
    • My deviantART
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 04:20:26 PM »
I believe that whether or not we post pictures of ourselves is OUR choice and no one else's. If someone chooses to be risky, it's their choice entirely. I feel that most of this forum's members are mature and intelligent enough to know what kind of risk they're taking by showing photos of themselves and sharing personal information.
If you are not in my avatar, and would like to be, or if you changed your name and avatar and would like me to update it, PM me. I cannot add or change anyone at the moment as I lost the file I use for this, but if people still want in, I'll work on it.

I am RAFmarried to my sweet shnukums, Rachel. ;D

Offline wildweathel

• Werret of Portland
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 04:24:52 PM »
I agree, and apologize if I seemed otherwise.
Kony 2012
arrest the worst

Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Tocade since Dec '08.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 04:35:04 PM »
I believe that whether or not we post pictures of ourselves is OUR choice and no one else's. If someone chooses to be risky, it's their choice entirely. I feel that most of this forum's members are mature and intelligent enough to know what kind of risk they're taking by showing photos of themselves and sharing personal information.

exactly why i haven't shown a picture of myself yet.
make yourself as safe as you feel you need to be.

Offline Qwerty the Charliecorn

• The cannibalistic pipe-dweller
  • Xtreme Member
    • My deviantART
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 05:00:05 PM »
Although... People do unsafe things all the time without understanding what they're getting themselves into, and a lot of parents don't bother to talk about internet safety with their kids, which could be a problem for some of the younger members...

Perhaps a quick safety reminder could be added to the useful links thread?
If you are not in my avatar, and would like to be, or if you changed your name and avatar and would like me to update it, PM me. I cannot add or change anyone at the moment as I lost the file I use for this, but if people still want in, I'll work on it.

I am RAFmarried to my sweet shnukums, Rachel. ;D

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 05:09:40 PM »
Charlie, I gotta' say, I do like THAT idea quite much. Perhaps a simple, "Jeeze, people, this IS a public forum. You mightn't want to post your face all over the place, if you're gonna' tell yer name."

if you're worried about your safety, just don't say it on the threads, or say it through PM. like what estelore does. she never gives out anything that could allow someone to find her, unless someone guesses it (like anna), and even then it's through PM.

*chuckle* The Morf-man pays attention.  :)
My policy is pretty simple: Only give the first name if they guess it, if you REALLY trust them (after a nice loooong scrutiny), or if you already know them outside RAF. Absolutely NEVER give specific location or contact information, no matter how much you trust them. NEVER post pictures in any PUBLIC location. Don't tell your age unless you're old enough that it doesn't really matter (at least 18).
Don't give out family names or information. Don't tell what school you attend, unless you're at university (because then your enrollment becomes public domain information, at least in this state).

Hey, Richard? Isn't there a post requirement for being able to read the e-books?
Just for the sake of curiosity, is it POSSIBLE to set a post requirement for the General/Life Boards?

If not, it certainly isn't going to bother me.
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 05:17:50 PM »

Hey, Richard? Isn't there a post requirement for being able to read the e-books?
Just for the sake of curiosity, is it POSSIBLE to set a post requirement for the General/Life Boards?

If not, it certainly isn't going to bother me.
There's no post requirements on the ebooks. And it is possible to set a post requirement on the general and life boards.

Offline demos666

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Satan is dad, hell is my home.
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 05:20:16 PM »
If people know my name or where i live i really couldn't care. If total stranger walks up to the house i know how to deal with them
My Theme song is The Number Of The Beast-Iron Maiden
Save a fire, Burn a tree
I put the laughter in manslaughter
“I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter.” - Winston Churchill
"Vidi, Vici, Veni." - Julius Caesar
"Hope is the first step to disappointment" - Librarian, Blood Ravens

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 05:42:58 PM »
There's no post requirements on the ebooks. And it is possible to set a post requirement on the general and life boards.

Thanks, Richard. :)
Ahhh, maybe I was thinking a different forum? I have the books on my shelf, so I've not require the e-books. *shrug*
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time