Author Topic: Production plan  (Read 9458 times)

Offline Mr. Guy36

• im still in ur ear, still controllin ur body
Re: Production plan
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 08:07:16 PM »
I definitely like the narration copy. Clean, easy to read, and clearly shows not only the breaks, but how the next line follows.
Not sure on the dialog, though. It definitely helps to see what parts are whose, but I agree with Duff about context being important.

I refuse to remove this sig because of some petty argument. RAF must remain solid.
By popular demand, now with Gaz!

Above silence, the illuminating storms - Dying storms - Illuminate the silence above

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 08:45:43 PM »
yea i didnt see how he had organized it, thats perfect, and i love how you've got a few different options to read it based on your preference, although I'm with mrguy I'm really not feeling the dialogue mode lol but I'm sure a few people will definately want to use that which is why its cool

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 10:18:19 PM »
Let me know if you guys need funds or whatever. Also remember that i have a deep low voice! ha ha 

Sweet.  Low, but with a profound, strangely sad, in-a-word-epic, joy bubbling up through it?  Or at least you can try?  Perfect!

As far as funds go, I think we're all set, since Richard will take care of hosting.  Thanks for your donation to RAF (made the blog and everything), by the way.

Wrapping up hosting.

OK, I tried setting up Mediawiki, and, there's no contest between it and what I can do with Drupal.

Mediawiki-based site: production managers have to compile to-do lists by hand.  Thus, they remain constantly out-of-date and error prone (unless the managers work insanely hard)

Drupal-based site: Project members get prioritized to-do lists, automatically generated from the status-tracking pages.  On the side-bar of every page.

There's a technical term for that: cool.

Richard has offered to host.  Gator's fine for everything we need except bittorrent tracking (judging by their TOS, they have a policy of shutting down all trackers, no-questions, no-appeal).  Fortunately, nearlyfreespeech is quite inexpensive for low-volume tasks like that ($20 a year, at most), and we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.  This takes care of the business end of hosting (except for technical details not needing project-wide discussion) so I'll move ahead to:

Redaction

Strictly speaking, redactors are editors. 

to redact (R IY D AE K T)
1.  To draw up or frame (a proclamation, for example).
2. To make ready for publication; edit or revise.

(American Heritage Dictionary, pronunciation in CMU arpabet)

But, I'm redefining it to mean those who prepare the text for reading, by breaking it down into individual segments and creating the corresponding nodes on the website.  These then automatically appear on the assigned actor's to-do list.  Above, I've posted a zip containing the first three chapters of MM1.  Open it up and follow along.

Redactors:
  • Identify characters and corresponding nodes to the site
  • Create a node for each chapter
  • Prepare a narration copy.  In this the dialog is deemphasized (blue and small, in my example)
  • Prepare scripts of the dialog.

In the example I've given, I've not kept a one-chapter=one-scene equivalence.  Upon reflection, that would probably be simpler, and I can't see a reason for it not to be one-to-one.  So, imagine scenes 1 and 2 as ch1-dialog, and scene 3 as ch3-dialog.  (Ch2 has no dialog)

• Attach script and narration to the chapter node
  • Create nodes for new characters
  • Create segment nodes.  A segment represents a chunk of recording and is either: the narration for a chapter, or a character's lines for a chapter.
  • Once nodes are created, the site can create to-do lists for the actors, etc.

So, that would create the following nodes

Part:Jake
Part:Rachel
Part:Tobias
etc.

Chapter: 08 M1:Ch1
Seg: 08Ch1-N:Jake
Seg: 08Ch1-D:Jake
Seg: 08Ch1-D:Rachel
Seg: 08Ch1-D:Tobias
Seg: 08Ch1-D:Cassie
Seg: 08Ch1-D:Marco
Seg: 08Ch1-D:Ax

Chapter: 08 M1:Ch2
Seg: 08Ch2-N:Rachel

Chapter: 08 M1:Ch3
Seg: 08Ch3-N:Marco
Seg: 08Ch3-D:Marco
Seg: 08Ch3-D:Ax
Seg: 08Ch3-D:Tobias

(the 08 comes from publication order, btw)

Once each part is assigned to an actor, that part's segments are added to the actors' to-do lists.

Now, this means that redaction is a bit of a boring data-entry, typo-fixing, web-form filling job.  Sorry.  I'm willing to do part of it myself, of course, and I'll insist that production managers do as well.

So, what I'd like to know from the actors is what do you think of the script and narration style.  Can you work from it?  Any questions?  Comment?  etc.
wow. that sounds a little complicated...

Offline wildweathel

• Werret of Portland
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 10:39:09 PM »
wow. that sounds a little complicated...

Yeah, the good news is that there's not much more (if any) complexity hiding.  The other roles don't add anymore pages to the site, they just update them.  There's an American proverb (ripped off from someone else, the Chinese according to the proverb) that a thousand-mile journey begins with a single step.  And then continues with another step. 

So, redactors just start with Ch 1 and go to the end.  Actors act one segment at a time.  The system is (if I do it right) set up so that everything that needs to be done is on someone's to-do list.  And managers' main job is to watch out for things falling through the cracks--and there's computer assistance for that too.

The trick is to keep individual tasks short (a single chapter of narration might actually be a bit long, about half an hour to read), so that the only complexity that people have to deal with is short-term. 

I cant find where you linked chapters 1-3 of MM1 so you might have covered this. When it shows the actor their lines, will it show just their lines, or the entire seen, I would say the whole scene would be better so that they can read the line in context in case they don't remember what the scene and the emotion was for that one.

Neither.  It shows all of the lines, with // marks showing where the 'said's were removed.  It also shows a fairly sparse summary of the narration.  Oddly enough, most of the narration is about getting inside the narrating character's own head and less about what's happening in the open, so it's OK for it to be sparse.  I would definitely encourage actors to read the entirety of the scene first, including narration in order to divine the emotion.

Now that you mention it, you know what?  It's not hard at all for the redactors to produce an additional clean "just what's on the page" copy if actors prefer, because, honestly, it comes down to whatever works best for each individual actor.

Mirienne, thanks for the link assist. 

Do you have experience as a moderator, webmaster, or sysop (especially on a Drupal site or wiki)?  This isn't strictly necessary to be a manager (you'll pick it up fast, anyway), but would be helpful.  Managers and redactors have to change the site structure much more than the other roles, hence more permissions, hence a higher (but still small, assuming I set it up right) risk of causing an oh-darn-but-at-least-we-have-backups.

Anyway, I'm exhausted.  I'll look this post through and edit if appropriate tomorrow.
Kony 2012
arrest the worst

Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Tocade since Dec '08.

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 10:50:44 PM »
Mirienne, thanks for the link assist. 

Do you have experience as a moderator, webmaster, or sysop (especially on a Drupal site or wiki)?  This isn't strictly necessary to be a manager (you'll pick it up fast, anyway), but would be helpful.  Managers and redactors have to change the site structure much more than the other roles, hence more permissions, hence a higher (but still small, assuming I set it up right) risk of causing an oh-darn-but-at-least-we-have-backups.

I have a bit of moderating experience on boards and that's it.  :P

Offline adamjared

• RAF Ancient
  • Gold Donor
  • .: One of the few remaining RAF Elders :.
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 02:21:42 AM »
Hey if you are looking for people with moderation experience... I used to be co-admin of RAF!

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 08:24:30 PM »
Hey if you are looking for people with moderation experience... I used to be co-admin of RAF!

of this RAF? really? when was this? i had no idea

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 09:20:22 PM »
on RAF classic...

Offline Touquie

• ShamWOW!
  • God
  • Just Dancing in the Dark
    • Touquie's YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 09:43:49 PM »
This is looking really good!

So should I record my lines?  Who do I send them to or should I post them here?  What file format is prefered?

I'd also like to add that the redactors should probably add the voice effects (thought speech) rather then each individual actor.  I remember this was a hassle earlier because everyone was using a different technique and sometimes I would recieve lines that already had the effect added.
I'm RAFmarried to my Pookie, Charlie ;D

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 09:44:36 PM »
um...I think we wait until wild has the wiki or host or whatever set up...when is it gonna be set up?

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 10:55:50 PM »

of this RAF? really? when was this? i had no idea
on RAF classic...

i think that's sarcasm morf, but i could be wrong. :-\

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 11:53:04 PM »
why is it so hard to get them...

Offline wildweathel

• Werret of Portland
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2009, 11:03:56 AM »
um...I think we wait until wild has the wiki or host or whatever set up...when is it gonna be set up?

I've got a prototype installed on my computer.  Basically, here's what I need to do:

• Install ssh server, to simulate remote website management.  Currently I've been using my local login, which isn't an option with remote systems, obviously.
  • Setup Drupal to create database->webserver backups.
  • Take snapshot of site.
  • Reconstitute snapshot as a site copy.
  • Practice taking and restoring point-in-time snapshots.
  • Read documentation regarding scheduled tasks.  Set up on my machine.
  • Disable testing accounts.
  • Prepare administrative accounts (strengthen passwords, create non-root admin accounts for myself and Richard)
  • Package site for set up.
  • PM Richard RE: set up.
  • Create snapshot to initialize site on RAF server(s)
  • Set up on RAF servers.
  • Create accounts for project members.

Once I do those things everyone can try it out.

OK, snapshots are easy to take (backup_migrate, rsync -rlp, cp -al).  Restore is still a little obnoxious.  More for my reference than information here's how it works: (and abuse of spoiler tags FTW  :))

[spoiler]
Create database account.  Keep password handy.
Restore drupal-uploads directory.
$ cd drupal-uploads/backup_migrate
Restore database:
$ bzcat manual/RAFAudiobookProject-timestamp.bz | mysql -p -u username -h sql-server-name database-name
enter database password
Restore drupal directory.
Check file permissions.
Update sites/default/settings.php to contain correct database login info.
Site should be up.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 02:55:30 PM by wildweathel »
Kony 2012
arrest the worst

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
damn, need any help with any of it?

Offline wildweathel

• Werret of Portland
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2009, 02:28:57 PM »
Don't worry; it's going well.

EDIT:

Correction, I'll eventually need you to register on the site.  It's (or rather it will be) a separate database from the forum, just like chat is.  So, sorry, duplicate registration required.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:30:39 PM by wildweathel »
Kony 2012
arrest the worst