Author Topic: How did Ax learn English?  (Read 9152 times)

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
Re: How did Ax learn English?
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2008, 10:43:03 AM »
Thanks Estelore.  :)

Of course, we have no way of knowing exactly how the translator chips worked, but it would make sense for the chip to still work even when in morph (since the chip was connected to the mind and the mind is still connected to the person even in morph). It's logical to assume that the translator chip not only translated foreign languages, but may also have allowed the Andalites to "learn" the language.

In book 14, Ax is able to translate the Galard used by the Horse Controllers. This proves that either Ax's mind is still connected to his translator chip when in morph, or that he already knew the language before hand (either by naturally learning it or via the chip itself).

However, there are some inconsistencies in the series regarding languages. In book 13, Ax admits to knowing some of the Hork-Bajir language, but is unfamiliar with certain key words that Jara and Ket keep repeating. This could imply that Ax does not have a translator chip (I don't think it's ever said for sure that he has one) but that would be strange since it was said in Andalite Chronicles that all members of the Andalite military had a chip implanted (Elfangor had one even at the start of the AC).

Interestingly, we know for a fact that Aldrea did have a translator chip, despite the fact that it was clearly stated that she was never in the Andalite military as females were not allowed in the military at the time.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline ThermalRider

• Workin' Them Angels
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2008, 10:51:34 AM »
When someone goes into a morph, wouldn't the chip either get pushed into Z-space with the rest of their mass or (if it stayed in the body) it has a chance to cause damage if a small animal is morphed because it could puncture the new brain or push right through the head? Remember in #15 when they tried to morph flies and they had the mind control shark chips in them, they were in danger of having them burst through.

Also, as far as Galard, wasn't it said that it was the universal language used so people from other planets could understand each other when trying to trade? Sort of like a Basic in Star Wars or Stark in the Ender series. If it is like that, it would probably be safe to assume that it was taught to Andalites in school.

But I agree, there are too many inconsistencies to really be accurate.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2008, 10:57:56 AM »
Like I said, it's easily possible Ax learned the language earlier, possibly in school. Although Andalites wouldn't need it themselves (since all sentient species understand thought speech) it makes sense that they would learn it in school or at the military academy. Kinda like how they teach French at most English schools, even though I may never go to France and half the people there speak English anyway!  ;)

My best guess would be that KA didn't think of the translator chip idea until she wrote the Andalite Chronicles (which came after book 13 and 14) and Aldrea would have to have one in the Hork-Bajir Chronicles otherwise she'd have trouble understanding Dak!

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2008, 02:33:20 PM »
The translator chips would have to be really tiny for Ax to be able to morphs flea and not have his head explode. o_O

Another theory, since Andalites are mildly telepathic (otherwise, thought-speech probably wouldn't work at all) is that the "translator" isn't a physical device at all, but a sort of psychic field... Kind of like the TARDIS in Doctor Who. It might have been a physical device in Andalite heads at some point in time (HBC, AC), but by the Animorphs timeline the actual physical device is on the Andalite homeworld, and simply going near it for a certain period of time would be enough to keep the ability in their head forever.

If that made any sense to anyone, I'll be impressed. lol.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2008, 04:34:12 PM »
no, I think thought-speak is like communicating in thoughts or images. like learning in china, geography and math are easiest. it's because numbers and maps are pretty much the same no matter where you go.

for thought-speak, like saying grass, well grass is pretty much the same no matter what planet you go to. it may be different color but it's still the same. if it's not the same, it wouldn't really be called grass. so the andalites thought-speak grass, and other species understand the thought or picture and they understand the word in their own language or something. am I making sense?

Hmm, okay.  I was thinking that you would hear the actual words, cause of this part from HBC when Dak first meets the Andalites:

"The voice was in my head! It made no sound. But I heard it! It was strange. The words were
not words of the Hork-Bajir.
But I understood them."

But I guess this could also be read as hearing images and interpreting them as words.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2008, 05:02:45 PM »
The translator chips would have to be really tiny for Ax to be able to morphs flea and not have his head explode. o_O

Another theory, since Andalites are mildly telepathic (otherwise, thought-speech probably wouldn't work at all) is that the "translator" isn't a physical device at all, but a sort of psychic field... Kind of like the TARDIS in Doctor Who. It might have been a physical device in Andalite heads at some point in time (HBC, AC), but by the Animorphs timeline the actual physical device is on the Andalite homeworld, and simply going near it for a certain period of time would be enough to keep the ability in their head forever.

If that made any sense to anyone, I'll be impressed. lol.

Having recently watched Doctor Who, I do get what you mean and I like the theory, but I personally doubt that's what the Andalites used.

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2008, 05:07:51 PM »
It's one of those easier-said-than-done things, sorta' like ansible and anoptik technology.
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2008, 06:05:04 PM »
When someone goes into a morph, wouldn't the chip either get pushed into Z-space with the rest of their mass or (if it stayed in the body) it has a chance to cause damage if a small animal is morphed because it could puncture the new brain or push right through the head? Remember in #15 when they tried to morph flies and they had the mind control shark chips in them, they were in danger of having them burst through.
well that's sort of the point in my opinion. if the translator chips do get pushed into Z-space, why didn't the mind control chips get pushed zero-space as well? I always assumed because it was metal, it couldn't go into Z-space, but that got me thinking, what would happen if you swallowed metal and then morphed? according to the theory, the metal would stay in your stomach, and if the stomach was too small...

of course the morphing was originally only for andalites, and I can't imagine how andalites can get metal in their stomachs (if they have stomachs) by the way they eat. so maybe it would stay in the stomach...

anyway, I don't think the translator chips get pushed into zero space.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2008, 07:44:11 PM »
Logically, the chips would have to be sent to Zero Space, otherwise their heads would explode if they morphed an animal with a small head. Perhaps the Andalites constructed the chips so that they would be sent to Zero Space when they morphed, in order to prevent such accidents happening. This would explain why the shark chips didn't end up in Zero Space, since the Yeerks obviously wouldn't design the chips with morphing in mind.

I suppose this could be linked with the question of how Alloran's body (and Jake when he was a Controller) was able to morph small animals with a Yeerk in his head. Since the Yeerk is made of living tissue, I suppose the morphing process must transfer the Yeerk's mass into Zero Space along with any excess mass from the host body.

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2008, 11:53:19 PM »
How often does Alloran/Visser Three morph small creatures, tough? lol. I think we only saw him go small once, and even then, we never really got to see how small. It could have been big enough to contain a Yeerk.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2008, 12:08:44 AM »
what about when jake was a controller? he said the yeerk made him morph an ant...

Offline estrid

• God
  • LOL
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2008, 12:35:28 AM »
but jake didnt have a translator chip in his head.  and the smallest morph visser 3 ever does is the kafit bird, right? so maybe the kafit's head is big enuf 4 the chip?
" 'What do you care if he drains a few vegetables?' I asked. 'He's a vampire!' Chester snarled. 'Today vegetables....tomor row, the world!' " Bunnicula-a Rabbit Tale of Mystery

Jess is my RAFbest friend cuz she is way awesome!
Cody-my gayBFF for eva!
Coolest Member of the Year 2009

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2008, 12:42:32 AM »
uh...anidragon was talking about a yeerk in a morpher's head, not a translating chip.

actually visser three morphed something really small in #38.

Offline estrid

• God
  • LOL
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2008, 12:59:49 AM »
what?
" 'What do you care if he drains a few vegetables?' I asked. 'He's a vampire!' Chester snarled. 'Today vegetables....tomor row, the world!' " Bunnicula-a Rabbit Tale of Mystery

Jess is my RAFbest friend cuz she is way awesome!
Cody-my gayBFF for eva!
Coolest Member of the Year 2009

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2008, 01:04:40 AM »
I don't remember... let me check.

it doesn't actually say. all it says is morphing something small, and seeing as how the andalites were shooting at him, I'd assume it's not small like puppy size, but small like bug size.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 01:16:34 AM by morfowt »