Author Topic: How did Ax learn English?  (Read 9153 times)

Offline CounterInstinct

How did Ax learn English?
« on: June 06, 2008, 09:22:34 AM »
No translator devices were used right? And Ax depended solely on thought speech to communicate with Earthanoids.... how did he learn to speak english when he morphed human?
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline ThermalRider

• Workin' Them Angels
Re: How did Ax learn English?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 09:26:01 AM »
You know, I was just thinking this and came on to make a topic about it.

I'm not sure. Technically he shouldn't be able to speak English, or any language for that matter.

esplin

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 11:01:18 AM »
well he did have the translator chip like all andalites.  he always messed around with sounds remember?  I mean he did speak pretty perfect english besides that.

Offline ThermalRider

• Workin' Them Angels
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 11:18:10 AM »
I thought that the translator chip only worked one way though. Like a human would speak and it would turn it into words that Andalites understood. It wouldn't have to work the other way since thought speak doesn't use words but just kind of puts the right pictures or thoughts into your head.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 11:22:32 AM »
I thought that the translator chip only worked one way though. Like a human would speak and it would turn it into words that Andalites understood. It wouldn't have to work the other way since thought speak doesn't use words but just kind of puts the right pictures or thoughts into your head.

Couldn't have put it better myself. All members of the Andalite military have a translator chip implanted in them, which translates unfamiliar languages for them to understand. Thought speech works on a level beyond words, so any sentient species can understand thought speech.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 11:49:08 AM »
Maybe Ax is just a really fast learner...

Theoretically even when he's in human morph the translator chip should still function (or should it?) to translate what the other humans say. Perhaps he just was using that to help him learn the language itself.

And he's a really fast learner...

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 01:41:23 PM »
You know I figure the translator helps in some way
I mean think about it
Aldrea morphed Hork-Bajir and could speak fine right away
Same with Alloran in TAC
I doubt Visser Three watched Muzzy when he first tried a human morph

Granted I haven't the slightest idea how it might work, but I figure it must do somethin
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 01:48:19 PM »
Something that's really bothered me-
If thought-speak works on a level 'deeper than mere words' where do the Andalite language and Andalite words come from ????
Not caring about what's popular since 2006.

Offline ThermalRider

• Workin' Them Angels
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 02:16:31 PM »
A written language and a "spoken" language have different purposes. A written language could be used for logs or manuscripts.

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 05:59:43 PM »

Couldn't have put it better myself. All members of the Andalite military have a translator chip implanted in them, which translates unfamiliar languages for them to understand. Thought speech works on a level beyond words, so any sentient species can understand thought speech.

wasn't that mentioned in TAC when elfangor and arbon were talking to loren on the skrit na ship...

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 06:55:37 PM »
So thermalrider, you're saying that Andalite is the galaxy's answer to Esperanto :lol:? Cool.
Not caring about what's popular since 2006.

Offline ~

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Something slow an bittersweet
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 09:26:47 PM »
Theoretically the chip could be an extension of the language centers of the brain, adding any language directly to his mind.

Just a thought.

Offline Zues770

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 02:54:08 AM »
I would say that it comes as natural for the morph but speech doesn't come natural to us since we have to learn how to speak so I would just consider it freedom on the authors part.

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 03:42:22 AM »
Well, Elfangor used a translator chip on Loren back there...
Aldrea also used on one on Dak Hamee...

Maybe the human languages were already "learned" by Andalites at school...? Since Ax once said that they studied humans as part of their education in their school.
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline estrid

• God
  • LOL
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 01:52:26 AM »
well, u know elfangor knew english, cuz he lived amongst them and all, maybe he taught ax english? that was never mentioned, yes i know. but it is a cool thought, and it would make some sense
" 'What do you care if he drains a few vegetables?' I asked. 'He's a vampire!' Chester snarled. 'Today vegetables....tomor row, the world!' " Bunnicula-a Rabbit Tale of Mystery

Jess is my RAFbest friend cuz she is way awesome!
Cody-my gayBFF for eva!
Coolest Member of the Year 2009