Author Topic: Group Re-Read: Week 18: #16 The Warning  (Read 4048 times)

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Group Re-Read: Week 18: #16 The Warning
« on: December 13, 2008, 10:05:04 PM »
Summary
Jake's made a pretty amazing discovery. It seems like there may be other people who know about the invasion. Others who know about the Yeerks. Jake finds a Web site devoted to the Yeerks. And Jake, the other Animorphs, and Ax aren't sure it's too good to be true.
But if they try to investigate the site and it's a trap, there's no way the Yeerks won't find out who they are. If they don't check it out, they'll never know if they're the only ones fighting. Whatever Jake and the others decide to do, they've got to move quickly because Visser Three isn't the only one dying to meet them....

Questions
1) This is more of a comment, really, but did anyone else feel a bit like Ax re-reading this book? I found the idea of a 14k modem laughable and the chat text frustrating and backwards. I can feel Ax's pain dealing with mid-90's technology! I forgot how bad it was!

2) What do you think of Esplin 9466 the Lesser's character in general? Do you think the fact that he became successful as a human is betrayal of his species or admirable?

3) What do you think of Esplin the Lesser's survival method? Should Jake have let him go, even knowing that a human host must die for his cannibalism every three days? Or did Jake do the right thing in keeping his word?

4) Do you think the Esplin's are similar, like many human twins?

5) Who do you think burned down Fenestre/Esplin's house?

Next week: #17 The Underground

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: Group Re-Read: Week 18: #16 The Warning
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 10:10:12 PM »
I suppose the Lesser Esplin doesn't care too much for Humans. otherwise he'd hire a brain surgeon to extract the Yeerks from Human heads. Or is it that simmple to pull a Yeerk off of a brain? I don't know.

I don't know who burned down the house. I don't remember Fenstre enough to tell if he's dimilar to his brother.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 10:13:06 PM »
1.well don't really know what 14k modem is, so no, I didn't feel like ax, and I've never been into a chat room before when I read the book, so I thought they were all like that

2. well I wouldn't call it betrayal. If you can't succeed in one thing, then succeed in another. I'm not too good in language, but I'm good in math so I'm fine with that

3. I honestly don't see why cassie was that upset. I mean I'd be a little upset that I'd want to kill him but not so upset that I'd go against jake to kill him. Did jake do the right thing? no. should jake have killed him? no. this is one of those shades of gray.

4. They're both extremely insane

5. I'm thinking cassie...

Offline dolphin4077

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 10:57:35 PM »
1.  This book will make me appreciate today's tech until the next time my computer crashes or something else goes wrong. 
2.  I thought he was an interesting character who showed us another facet of evil, and it's nice to know Yeerks have dysfunctional families too.  As for him being successful as a human, I think it's cool he didn't take his fate lying down.  I don't think that particular action was a betrayal of species but more of a betrayal of government. 
3.  It's a sick method.  No question, Jake had to make a tough call.  Letting Fenestre go isn't a shining example of virtue, but I think if they hadn't, it would have messed up the Animorphs themselves more.  The moral lines they drew would have been gone a lot quicker.
4.  I think they are similar.  Both are ruthless and have ambition.  We all know Visser 3 wouldn't mind being a cannibal.  However, I think Lesser gets some mitigation because his brother drove him to it.  I think if Visser 3 had played nice, he would have had a brother content to toe the party line.  Also, they don't seem to share the Andalite obsession.
5. Not because I have any proof or great theory, but I say it was the Controllers who spied on the website.   

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 12:18:26 AM »
Haha, I'm an internet technician, so the entire internet part had me in stitches. 14k modem, and the only security they worry about is cookies? Where's your firewall, Jake?! lol. Actually, even when the book first came out, the chatroom seemed pretty weird to me, what with the only being able to type in really small chunks. I was already using mIRC by then, and had never touched an AOL chatroom, which this was supposedly based on. So I didn't get why the chatroom was so weird.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 09:18:47 AM »
The Warning was a very good read! The plot was good action pact and the story was very relevant to the series. It moves swiftly from discovery – investigation - infiltration – rescue mission.
And so much happened in between, like Jake almost being swatted to death as a fly; Rachel and Ax are frozen in bio stasis; Cassie once again thinks with her heart, doing a talking-wolf stunt on a little kid; we delve deeper into the capacity of the Yeerk as an individual;

Jake handles the missions and changes in situations rather well. He is indeed a good natural leader, inspite having all his fears and limitations himself.
I particularly like the way KA wrote Jake acquiring, becoming and being the rhinoceros. It was so cool the way the morph was brought into the series. Like this oblivious tank that can’t really see. WATCH OUT!
Can anyone refresh me with a quote on the bit where Marco realizes what Jake is morphing. He says something like <Oh that?! You are morphing that?!> Heheheheh!
And I think it’s interesting how it’s him and Rachel that firstly end up with the big ground morphs. It’s an interesting reflection on their fire-power natures in comparison to the others.

1) This is more of a comment, really, but did anyone else feel a bit like Ax re-reading this book? I found the idea of a 14k modem laughable and the chat text frustrating and backwards. I can feel Ax's pain dealing with mid-90's technology! I forgot how bad it was!
Yeah, things have changed. We laugh at those big monitors we used to think were the best during the 90s, when we got all these LCD flat monitors now days. I think it’s only natural to ‘feel like Ax’ on this topic. We’ll all feel like Ax looking at, say this Forum, in a few decades, too.

Haha, I'm an internet technician, so the entire internet part had me in stitches. 14k modem, and the only security they worry about is cookies? Where's your firewall, Jake?! lol. Actually, even when the book first came out, the chatroom seemed pretty weird to me, what with the only being able to type in really small chunks. I was already using mIRC by then, and had never touched an AOL chatroom, which this was supposedly based on. So I didn't get why the chatroom was so weird.
Hehehehe! I don’t think so. I am probably one of the people who got into the net thing very late. Even now days, I don't really know what a firewall is!!! I first got the concept of a chat room at around the same time I picked up an Animorphs book, to be honest. So I think of the chatroom-insert in the book as an accurate depiction of the time. Refreshing to read.

2) What do you think of Esplin 9466 the Lesser's character in general? Do you think the fact that he became successful as a human is betrayal of his species or admirable?
I am trying to remember if Visser Three’s twin was actually banished by the Empire or just rejected by his stronger twin. One can call it ‘inventive’ the process he developed in order to survive, but it’s difficult to admire.

3) What do you think of Esplin the Lesser's survival method? Should Jake have let him go, even knowing that a human host must die for his cannibalism every three days? Or did Jake do the right thing in keeping his word?
The fact that he persevered to come on top and made the most of his situation on Earth, shows the Yeerk’s adaptability and capacity to look for other ways to succeed, than their own conventions.

4) Do you think the Esplin's are similar, like many human twins?
Both are sick in their own ways. He is in some ways ‘stronger’ than Visser Three, for he literally worked very hard to come on top, being ‘outside’ his own people.
Personally, I couldn’t have let the Controller come out alive. His host was voluntary and the Yeerk was doing what he was doing for his own survival. There was really no other option but to kill him to put a stop to what he was doing.
But the implications of that would really ruin the Animorphs’ conduct, so I think Jake was correct in keeping his word.

5) Who do you think burned down Fenestre/Esplin's house?
Really good question. The easiest answer is his psycho brother. Once discovered, his twin was a contingency to the leader’s plan of the invasion on Earth.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 07:13:29 PM by Gafrash »

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 09:43:42 AM »
I didn't get into the internet until 2000 or so. So I didn't feel like AX reading that book. I actually thought it was kind of cool. They were on a chatroom, on the internet.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 10:47:07 PM »

Haha, yeah, I was introduced to the net through AOL 3.0 and...yup, those chats are very familiar to me. Imagine trying to rp like that!!

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 11:08:19 PM »
Question: Do you guys think Biostasis freeze the morphing clock?
I reckon Rachel and Ax weren't that close to becoming nothlits if it did.

Offline Kotetsu1442

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 04:24:01 PM »
Question: Do you guys think Biostasis freeze the morphing clock?
I reckon Rachel and Ax weren't that close to becoming nothlits if it did.
Well, that all depends on exactly what the reason for the morphing time limit is... which is unclear. A reasonable guess is that the clock has to do with how long the technology is capable of keeping your physical body in Z-space linked to the animal that you have morphed, that for some reason it is able to maintain this link only for two of our hours and then the link is severed and you are unable to retrieve your own body (though that it is still capable of maintaining the link between your own mind and the morphed brain is odd; but maybe it is a separate and much more indefinitely sustainable link). If this is the case, I would say that Biostasis of the morphed body wouldn't actually would stop whatever time-limit there is on the Z-space link.

However, this explanation fails to address how metamorphosis from caterpillar to butterfly would somehow restore the link and reset the clock, so it in itself doesn't explain everything; apparently for unknown reasons the time link is somehow dependent on the biological function of the morphed body as shown in the caterpillar/butterfly reset, so it is entirely possible that a biostasis could in fact be a morph-clock pause button.

Well, while I'm here:

Questions (that I feel I have something to contribute to)
Upon re-reading it yes it is quite laughable and funny. However, it is almost just as funny re-reading Ax's descriptions of advanced technology, which is in itself antiquated (not in that we have all of the level of technology that he speaks of, but in that his views of 'futuristic' and thoughts on what are important technological issues are already a bit dated, having already being put into public, commonplace terms).

Um, I'm going to address these two questions and a lot of their responses by saying that I'm actually kind of appalled at this discussion:
2. well I wouldn't call it betrayal. If you can't succeed in one thing, then succeed in another. I'm not too good in language, but I'm good in math so I'm fine with that
3. I honestly don't see why cassie was that upset. I mean I'd be a little upset that I'd want to kill him but not so upset that I'd go against jake to kill him. Did jake do the right thing? no. should jake have killed him? no. this is one of those shades of gray.

2.  ...As for him being successful as a human, I think it's cool he didn't take his fate lying down.  I don't think that particular action was a betrayal of species but more of a betrayal of government. 
3.  It's a sick method.  No question, Jake had to make a tough call.  Letting Fenestre go isn't a shining example of virtue, but I think if they hadn't, it would have messed up the Animorphs themselves more.  The moral lines they drew would have been gone a lot quicker.
OK, here's the thing: When you go see this "oh, that poor guy is oppressed by his society as a second class citizen because he was the 'lesser twin,' I can identify with someone being a second class citizen wanting to find a clever way to escape society's confines." (and just to make it clear, he was not betraying a bad government because he was against its policy toward other sentient creatures, he made it clear that he was escaping a society that treated him as a second class citizen with a lowly position)

But here is what makes Fenestre/Esplin different from that inspirational main character in Gattaca: his solution involves murder; indefinitely ongoing, ruthless, cold-blooded murder. And this isn't the "Well, the Yeerks believe that other races are inferior, so his killing humans without regard for their life is to be expected" situation, because he is eating his own kind, something that is an outright atrocity punishable by death in his culture, he has decided that he doesn't care for any type of morality or value of life, just himself.

So no, he is not admirable. He may have been quite clever and shown a strong spirit that did not blindly accept conventions, but admirablity takes some amount of decency. If you read a story about a slave who escaped in the 1800s and then the entire story was about him hiding out and murdering slave children in the fields to take their food and assure that he wasn't caught you wouldn't even think to ask if he was admirable, you would go "I'm sorry for his life as a slave, that was definitely wrong of the society of the time; but if the only way you can find to escape in and survive is through murdering innocent people who are just as shackled to the society as you are, then you can't actually consider that an alternative." Fenestre/Esplin's fate wasn't even that of a slave, just someone stuck in a low end of society with a menial job (not all that different from the guy in Gattaca again), not glorious or satisfying by any means, and sure otherwise good people have resorted to a life of crime to escape that life; but it takes a complete sociopath to resort to not just petty theft but the most atrocious, gruesome crime. I'm not saying I didn't understand his motives, he treated the world as Dog-eat-dog (actually, pretty literally) and decided to look out solely for himself, but if he decided that this was worth it above allowing people just as oppressed their chance to do the same then there is no way he could be considered admirable. It is terrible to say that "If you are not good at English, get ahead in math" is morally equal to "If you can't get ahead in society, get good at murdering and escaping justice."

As far as Jake's side goes, the only thing wrong on his part was that he was locked into a promise he shouldn't have to keep, he should have restricted his promise to hearing out Fenestre/Esplin and the decision to completely let him go and not come back for him later was completely morally wrong. To say that deciding to kill Fenestre/Esplin would damage the Animorphs or ruin their moral lines by making them willing to cross them only shows really poorly drawn moral lines. If a criminal is guilty of violent and despicable acts such as rape or murder and there is no way to bring that person to justice and stop them other than killing them, there is almost no moral or ethical system in history that would say you should do anything other than kill them in order to stop them; to willing let them go free to do it again is the morally reprehensible and socially irresponsible act. This was one case where Cassie was completely right instead of making up morals based on her 'uncomfortable feelings' and the Animorphs decision to let Fenestre/Esplin go was not only a poor moral one (because they were allowing him to go on murdering unsuspecting people of both species in the hopes that this would slightly weaken the Yeerk effort), but also a terribly foolish one: As if ten random, low level Yeerks taken out each month would make any difference when; as they discovered, part of Fenestre/Esplin's way of maintaining their safe position was feeding V3 and the Yeerk Empire valuable information; letting him go was an act of betrayal to their cause, if they had to do it to rescue their frozen friends in that situation then the very next mission should be planning a new way to take out Fenestre/Esplin.

I am trying to remember if Visser Three’s twin was actually banished by the Empire or just rejected by his stronger twin. One can call it ‘inventive’ the process he developed in order to survive, but it’s difficult to admire.

The fact that he persevered to come on top and made the most of his situation on Earth, shows the Yeerk’s adaptability and capacity to look for other ways to succeed, than their own conventions.

I think that's a much healthier perspective on Fenestre/Esplin: Inventive, persistent, determined and clever: Yes. But these things do not make someone admirable. And to clarify your question, Fenestre/Esplin being assigned to a lowly menial position on the planet that V3 was conquering may have been part of V3's doing to rub it in his inferior brother's face, but Fenestre/Esplin says that as the lesser twin his society considers him a lesser, weaker citizen so he would have gotten crappy, inglorious missions regardless; he was never actually exiled, he was just in a crappy position at the bottom of the Empire, his 'escape' was of his own doing though after renegading, making his host rich and converting to cannibalism and living the ritzy life he does it is not be possible for him to return to the Empire as he would be facing a death penalty.
If your attack is going well, you have walked into an ambush.

Offline SkyMorpher

• Fly high, seek peace, God bless (Formerly Animel23
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 02:23:12 PM »
I'm thinking of pulling this one out later...it is fun looking back on the earlier tech stuff. I don't even recall what our modems are these days, but it's way ahead of what they had. Chat definitely evolved fast, because I started using chatrooms in like late 2001 and they were nothing like the ones they describe. These days, chatboxes still have limits, but chats went beyond that way fast.

I think it's funny that someone created a website and forum based on this...anyone been to that site? I know we were discussing it here at one point.

I personally don't take such a overall negative view of Cassie, wouldn't say she was 'making up' morals along the way. But that's for another thread.