Author Topic: "Though, in mind, I know, 'tis new to me..."  (Read 6440 times)

Offline Toc'

• Xtreme Member
  • One of RAF's French residents
Re: "Though, in mind, I know, 'tis new to me..."
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2009, 05:42:47 PM »
For Now !
And as I said... only 1% of (the?) girls are INTPs^^
So I might be the only one  ;D
Mwahahah
Pink Piggy: Anyway, these are standard assumptions in economics. I have no problem with them. Quantum theory also seems weird but it is accepted, that is the way of science.
Brown Piggy: Quantum theory makes no claim about the motivations or welfare of quantum particles.
Pink Piggy: You just do not understand the mathematics involved. This is typical uninformed criticism of economics.

¤  Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Wildweathel since December '08 ¤

Offline Taiyoh

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Voice of (t)Reason
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2009, 05:56:48 PM »
For Now !
And as I said... only 1% of (the?) girls are INTPs^^
So I might be the only one  ;D
Mwahahah

Possibly.  Do you hope you are?

Offline Toc'

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2009, 06:00:18 PM »
I do!
I am totally narcissistic^^
I wanna be unique  ;)
Pink Piggy: Anyway, these are standard assumptions in economics. I have no problem with them. Quantum theory also seems weird but it is accepted, that is the way of science.
Brown Piggy: Quantum theory makes no claim about the motivations or welfare of quantum particles.
Pink Piggy: You just do not understand the mathematics involved. This is typical uninformed criticism of economics.

Offline Taiyoh

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Voice of (t)Reason
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2009, 06:02:58 PM »
I do!
I am totally narcissistic^^
I wanna be unique  ;)

Haha.

Offline wildweathel

• Werret of Portland
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2009, 10:12:06 AM »
I ended the last post on a rather depressing note, buried in the depths of the Morlockian machine, where human beings are hammered into compliant, enslaved cogs.  But what then is the alternative?  What is humanity missing? 

I begin again, now with the end in mind:

There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, in the end, "Thy will be done."  All that are in Hell, choose it.
--C S Lewis, The Great Divorce

In the end there is one thing and one thing alone that matters.  It is an enormous thing, but fortunately something that can be summed up in few words:

Will I be content to really be myself, not merely for myself?  Will I set aside my own self-importance to sing a part in the Creator's song?  Or would I rather sit outside, in charge of nothing but myself, yet, in that one thing supreme?

Yamaarashi no jirenma ka?  Mi wo yoseru hodo aite wo kizutsukeru.  Kou iu koto ka?
(The porcupine's dilemma, huh?  The more he lets others get close to him, the more he hurts them.  Is that it?)
--Neon Genesis Evangelion

Will I bear the pain of growing close, for the joy of being close?  Will eternity be a blessing or curse?

I call Heaven and Earth to witness that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.  Choose life, so you and your descendants may live.
--Deuteronomy 30:15

Will I live or will I die?  The final and most terrible freedom of a free will.

The teacher, the parent, everyone who mentors in any way--no matter how small--to the child, is the Educator.  Mr. Dewey is right to call this a special calling.  The Educator has a divine mission: to argue the case of life.

And so the school ought to be a place first and foremost of wonder, where humanity has gathered its achievements, saying "Come, our children, see the wonders the Creator has made possible through us!"  Where humanity has enshrined the mystery of nature.  "Come, our children, see the wonders of our home!"  But these two things alone cannot make the full case. 

We must show children what they are capable of--push them beyond the limits they see in themselves, instill discipline before we can hand it over and call it "self-discipline."  Let self-confidence arise from honest success, not empty flattery.  Let human society be and expression of humanity, rather than the other way around.  So, teach typing, penmanship, reading, a foreign language, arithmetic, a musical instrument, and a wide variety of physical skills.  At the same time do not overlook play, and unstructured time.  Armed with real skills, and free to use them themselves, children discover the third part of the argument: "Come, our children, see the wonders our Creator has made possible in you."
Kony 2012
arrest the worst

Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Tocade since Dec '08.

Offline Toc'

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2009, 08:26:19 PM »
What to say?

May I write about my experience with school? I would like to but you might be bored ^^

Anyway, with my little experience I came to the conclusion that with the system of marks and the way we were evaluated we could not learn correctly cause it spoilts the learning process. I'm the daughter of a teacher so I used to know how to exploit the system to my advantage.
You go to school, you sit down, you are force-fed like a goose and then you are asked to regurgitate your knowledge on a piece of paper.
The more your regurgitate, the higher your marks are.
Good pupil  :)

Once the exam is past, you are allowed to make room (to empty your brain) in order to absord the next subject.
I got very good at that process. Now that I am depicting it, it makes me think of bulimics who eat as much as they can and then go to purge themselves in the toilets.
In the end there is barely anything left, only vague memories... But it is all shallow and emptied from its substance.

I like those humanistic values on which our educational programme is based.
Thus, we should know everything : Mathematics, History, Geography, Literature, Sports, Music...
That's the goal. I like this idea. It's probably naive, idealistic but it would annoy me if it disappeared.
The thing is, with our educational system we are not even allowed to get curious (or if we are, it's a good coincidence) the answers are already given, nothing to whet the appetite, the food is already cooked, ready for us to swallow.
I got sick, I guess.

I understand your point about experience and how important it is (it is probably part of "whetting the appetite  ;) ).
Otherwise, if this knowledge is out of touch with the real word, it is one more alienation to the kid.
I know I tend to use this word a lot. It's because I feel alienated in my everyday life. I really do.
I chose to study economics cause it is really not a noble subject.
It's a subject one doesn't study with their heart, with passion. And as I have no passion for anything... i felt like it was the best subject for me ^^ (yeah, I love my logic ^^)

Why do you always mix religion with this Wildy?
All those extracts from religious texts made me feel very uncomfortable when I read your post.  :-[
You sound like a religious fanatic ^_^'
 ::) I don't really feel like the child of a pseudo-Creator created by Man himself.

Well, maybe it brings some answers to "the case of life", but they are all lame to me.

When I was 5, I remember I was on this swing in my grandparent's garden and I started to wonder what happened when people got old.
I first thought that they never stopped growing and that they got taller and taller.
I was first content with that and then I watched the poplars near my garden and I imagined giant people (very old people so) walking. Their legs were longer than the trees themselves.
And then I started to wonder why I had never seen giants before, walking through the trees.
I got the idea that it would be dangerous for young people, cause they would be so high that they would not see us and could accidentally kill us.
So, I started to think that they might be sent to another part of Earth, or to another world, once they reached a specific height.
Again, in their other world, they would have to move again once they reached another specific height.

See, the question of death was solved ^^

But then, as I was all happy with my explanation, I went to talk about it to my grandmother.
She totally cut me while i was talking and she told me that people died when they were old.
 :'(
Then she TRIED to relieve me talking to me about God and Heaven, etc...

As a child I wanted to believe that cause I absolutely denied the fact that I could be definitely separated from the people I loved and that, myself, I could die someday and just become nothing but dust.
I found it so unfair and absurd that I didn't even want to think of it.
Life could just not be like that...

Then I grew up, I stopped believing in lots of stuff, God was just another casualty of mine.
Honestly, Heaven vs Hell, who could be satisfied with such a simplistic thing?
And a world after Death?
A world after Death where I am going to find back my whole family? YUCK, I hope I'll get my privacy there. LOL

Of course I am anxious when I think about the End but I prefer my atheistic/realistic way to see the world than singing lullabies to myself...

Well I think people who believe in this kind of thing are in total denial...
But perhaps we are all like that, to some extent  :-\

« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 03:21:25 AM by Tocade »

Offline Taiyoh

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Voice of (t)Reason
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2009, 12:59:52 PM »
Well I think people who believe in this kind of thing are in total denial...

"this kind of thing"

The atheistic approach, or the holy approach?  You were not very clear in that manner (though I assume you mean the 'holy' approach).  :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 06:53:25 PM by Taiyoh »

Offline Toc'

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2009, 01:07:37 PM »
This kind of thing = Something after Death.
The religious approach?

Offline Taiyoh

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Voice of (t)Reason
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2009, 01:13:25 PM »
This kind of thing = Something after Death.
The religious approach?

Yes.  That is what I had meant by "holy"  :)

Only time can tell for anyone, and once you die it is rather hard to report.  ;)

So I take it you're atheistic?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 06:53:49 PM by Taiyoh »

Offline Toc'

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2009, 05:52:13 PM »
Only time can tell for anyone, and once you die it is rather hard to report.  ;)

So I take it you're agnostic (in a generalization, you believe what can be proven)?

You mean, you take it I am NOT agnostic ?
Otherwise, your sentence doesn't make sense  ;D

Offline Taiyoh

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Voice of (t)Reason
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2009, 06:52:58 PM »

So I take it you're agnostic (in a generalization, you believe what can be proven)?

You mean, you take it I am NOT agnostic ?
Otherwise, your sentence doesn't make sense  ;D

Yes...I do not know what I was thinking when I wrote that.

*bows head in shame*

Replace it with "atheistic"  :)