Author Topic: Questions about things I either forgot or didn't know  (Read 2770 times)

Offline skribs

Questions about things I either forgot or didn't know
« on: December 16, 2017, 05:16:53 PM »
A question I asked in another thread received an answer that made me think of more questions.  A lot of these are probably answered in the books, but it's been over 12 years since I've read them, and I no longer have them.  So maybe you guys can help me out.

1.   Why does Visser One prefer to take over Earth in secret, as opposed to using Blitzkrieg tactics like Visser Three wants?

2.   Why don’t the Andalites send help to Earth?  They have Z-space technology and they know Earth is being invaded because of Ax’s communication in #8.  They should want to avenge Elfangor.

3.   Why don’t the Animorphs use Ax to expose the reality that aliens exist?  [spoiler]Especially after all the times they try to do things like land a Bug Fighter on the White House Lawn, use the free Hork Bajir (instead of…Ax?), among other things.[/spoiler]

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
Re: Questions about things I either forgot or didn't know
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 05:44:13 AM »
1. I think Visser One favored a secret invasion because she had two human kids, Darwin and Madra, while she was controlling Allison Kim, and was married (in two ways) to Essam 293 (controlling Hildy Gervais; Allison and Hildy married each other while under the control of Edriss and Essam.) So in a bizarre four-way relationship, Visser One had human kids somewhere on Earth that she didn't want to be destroyed. I think they cover this in one of the books narrated by Marco, or perhaps right there in Visser. http://animorphs.wikia.com/wiki/Edriss_562
2. Basically, the Andalites didn't rush to help Earth because they kind of didn't expect it to be worth anything, and they were hoping it would go under like the Hork-Bajir planet did. I think. I might be wrong on that, but that's probably covered in book 38 (The Arrival) or book 54. http://animorphs.wikia.com/wiki/The_Arrival
3. Because as soon as they show their hand of cards, the Yeerks would overpower them, and Earth would be doomed.

I welcome better responses from other people who are even more of an expert on the series than I am.

You might also find information here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/Animorphs

Offline skribs

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 09:50:39 AM »
1.  That's a possibility, but it seemed to me to be more strategy-related.  I could be misremembering.

2.  Go under like the Hork-Bajir?  The Yeerks successfully enslaved the Hork-Bajir and they became the Yeerk shock troops.

3.  But there are several books where the Animorphs actively try and expose the Yeerks.
Book #3: The Encounter - they wanted to disable the cloaking device of the Yeerk truck ship to expose the Yeerks to the city
Book #11: The Forgotten - the original plan is to fly the crashed bug fighter to Washington DC and land it on the White House lawn to expose the invasion to the President
Book #13: The Change - I believe the original plan was to use the Hork-Bajir to prove to the world that aliens exist, but they decided instead to hide them
Book #17: The Underground - The Animorphs don't have a plan to expose the Yeerks, but are happy to let the Yeerks expose themselves if they're high on oatmeal.
David Trilogy:  The Animorphs plan to deal with the world leaders is to explain what the Yeerks are to each of them in turn

The Animorphs try to expose the Yeerks several times throughout the series.  Why not use Ax to expose them?

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 04:03:30 AM »
There might also be a strategy reason to it, yes. Like "slow infection" thing. Or "cook the lobster/frog slowly so it doesn't jump out of the slowly-heating pot".