Author Topic: Voice/Text chat RP anyone?  (Read 3989 times)

Offline netspider86

Voice/Text chat RP anyone?
« on: November 14, 2017, 08:22:15 PM »
Hey everyone! I'm a 30something fan of the series, read it first in Italian forever ago, and got back to it in more recent years. A while back I tried to get a few friends with some moderate RP (D&D) experience into trying a softer approach to an Animorphs themed campaign, but it never worked; probably because I was the only fan of the series in the group!

I'm not really that into forum based RPG because of pace, time restrictions due to work and other stuff, and so on. So I'm looking for a smallish group anywhere in the world who'd like to try this online, either via text or voice if you'd prefer. I reckon timezones will be hard, so it won't be too frequent, but worth giving it a try! Right? Yes? Maybe? I'd prefer something with at least some minimal structure - not purely interpretation based - but a very lightweight system that leaves a lot to the GM would work just fine!

I don't have a huge experience with GMing but if no one else in the group wanted to do it, I'd be up for giving it a try.

Let me know who's up for it!

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
Re: Voice/Text chat RP anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 09:52:56 PM »
Hey!

Uh, so I type RP on Google Docs, and also ho bisogno di praticare italiano ogni giorno con un oratore fluente ^^ ho studiato italiano per dieci anni ma ancora non sono fluente!

And well, I have the first Animorphs book in Italian, so I have no excuse not to practice with it.

Are you new to RAF? Welcome! Terenia (Jessi) and I (Tara) are also 30-something fans and we live together seeing as we are dating, so we could all collaborate if you wanted.

If you have Voxer or Discord we could also set up voice chat. Our characters tend to be Yeerk rebel OCs in a spinoff of the original series. Picture a soap opera set on a rebel base from Star Wars, and you've got the idea.

Sound interesting?

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

guitarhero01234

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 01:06:46 AM »
First off, welcome aboard, netspider! I’m definitely down for some sort of a live RP; the only really active RP on here (the Galaxy’s Edge Space Bar) is moving along rather slowly and I don’t do much outside of work, so time is at least somewhat flexible for me :)

Offline netspider86

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »
Hey all! I've really been lurking a bit on and off, but I'm almost positive this is the first account I create. Almost.

I'm usually a sucker for canon, so I'd prefer something that doesn't detach horribly from the series, but other than that I'm fairly open. I'll say that I'd rather not roleplay a 14 years old! Few ideas in no particular order:
  • Same universe and rules, but possibly different timeline and none of the original human characters (the morphing technology is given to a different group entirely, so we start from an early stage of the invasion)
  • Actual spin-off maybe with some link to reality, e.g. right now there is a certain dude that we'll call
    Mr Grump who might as well have a Yeerk in his head, and the original gang manages to reach out to some trustworthy young adults expanding the group (so maybe something 2/3rds into the series, except it's moved to more recent years)
  • In the original timeline a small group gets in contact with the Animorphs and gets involved, maybe somewhere else on the planet (let's face it, a: in the real world many of the things they did would have made someone go "wtf is up with this kid? let me watch them closely for a while" and b: always in the real world, wouldn't the Yeerk have tried to diversify their operations in more than one major city?... this could be at several points in the series' timeline)
  • Actually from that a. observation, a whole first part of a campaign could be focussed on how a bunch of folks notices something odd and their efforts to find out more... would require an extra effort not to metaplay, but it could be a cool experiment :)
  • The existing Animorphs members have all disappeared, died, been captured, whatever, maybe except one or two of them... the Yeerk seem beaten, but a small group discovers that a new invasion has been going on under much stricter security, hiding behind the supposed Yeerk defeat (obviously years after the series' end)
...or really any other good idea you might have! By the way, no one volunteering for that GM role? ;D

In terms of what to use, Discord works well I think! It's solid either for text or voice, with the option to have multiple channels (OOC, "private" IC dynamics, sidequests with only part of the group, whatever). Timewise, I'm in Italy with a 9 to 5 (sorta) job but also have a long distance relationship with a girl in the USA, so some of the times that would work best are normally already taken by the two of us hanging out...
The best options are probably the majority of Monday nights (approximately 11pm/midnight to 2am UTC+1), and varying weekend days (most likely afternoon / early evening my time). I'm often free on weekday evenings too, 7pm to midnight UTC+1, but I don't see that working out particularly well with US times :P

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 08:20:52 PM »
Hey netspider,

I don't mind GMing, but most of my GM ideas have to do with the aforementioned base full of rebel Yeerks.

Interesting ways in which my characters could interact with canon characters, or OC-but-close-to-canon characters:

-What if one of the original human characters was a Controller who agreed to work with the group as a rebel, or as a spy?
-Spinoff with humans making contact with the Peace Movement, who are a bunch of dirty hippies living in the woods and trying to actually make some changes in the war from the sidelines
-Yeerks.
In.
Canada! (Or Europe. Or Africa. Or somewhere, eh?); actually, there is a group of characters I could use who are based in Liverpool and London...
-Speaking of your idea on "noticing something weird"...there's a human genius group called Mensa (like the actual human genius group) but they have mishmashed human tech and Yeerk tech (they're all free humans) to operate a cloaked space station in orbit. They're insufferable ****s and I love them.
-I love the idea of either post-war-what-do-humans-do-with-aliens-living-everywhere (human victory scenario), or post-war-Earth-lost-and-the-Empire-reigns-supreme (Yeerk victory scenario). So much richness in either of those worlds!

And if all else fails, one of my rebels on a supply run to Earth could run into an Animorph. Because uh, they still think the Animorphs are Andalites. Whoops.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I'm on Pacific time, so that's nine hours behind Italy. I work 8-4 (I'm a science teacher) but I also have frequent breaks! The best times are probably your weekends in the early evening, so say, your Saturday or Sunday at 5pm would be my 8am.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:23:55 PM by Myitt »

Offline netspider86

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 05:28:24 AM »
To clarify, are we talking ship-in-space base, or Yeerk-Pool-base, or some-other-secret-base-like-the-ones-the-Animorphs-tried-to-go-destroy? Boy that last one was long. I'd be up for the latter two cause they leave some room for some full human, morphing able, character who doesn't necessarily live IN the base - which would be more my choice.

That works well with all your first 3 ideas I reckon! The other 2 both work but I'm slightly less interested in them, they take some of my favorite dynamics from the series away (acquiring and practicing new morphs, aliens among us secrecy...). I prefer the first half, maybe the first two thirds of the series by the way, in case it wasn't clear by now. Your additional idea works too but you don't sound too into that, so let's scratch it!

If one of those works with your original ideas, happy to have you GM! Or we could alternate, make it something like the books in the series where the narrator changes, hehe.
To elaborate on what I said in my original post, I had something in mind with some dice rolling here and there, but lots of GM discretion. So, minimal stat sheet, rolling for success based on stats + situation, GM keeping consistency, realism, etc. in check: yes; super detailed HP for anything from characters to plants, injury tables, unending lists of classes, skills & stuff: naaaaah, unless you have a tested ruleset that has worked for you before. Is that good for you? The specific of how stats and rolls work could be up to the GM or we could agree on a system :)
BTW I played around with server settings on Discord yesterday, I have one set up with a few channels and a bot for dice rolling, we can move there when we have a general idea... and gh gets back to us I guess :P

Timewise, Sat/Sun at 8am Pacific Time for a few hours works for me if you're normally already active at that time! I am normally busy on one of those two days only (quidditch practice cause yay normal hobbies), although I'll have plans for the whole weekend now and then, like next week.

Hey netspider,

I don't mind GMing, but most of my GM ideas have to do with the aforementioned base full of rebel Yeerks.

Interesting ways in which my characters could interact with canon characters, or OC-but-close-to-canon characters:

-What if one of the original human characters was a Controller who agreed to work with the group as a rebel, or as a spy?
-Spinoff with humans making contact with the Peace Movement, who are a bunch of dirty hippies living in the woods and trying to actually make some changes in the war from the sidelines
-Yeerks.
In.
Canada! (Or Europe. Or Africa. Or somewhere, eh?); actually, there is a group of characters I could use who are based in Liverpool and London...
-Speaking of your idea on "noticing something weird"...there's a human genius group called Mensa (like the actual human genius group) but they have mishmashed human tech and Yeerk tech (they're all free humans) to operate a cloaked space station in orbit. They're insufferable ****s and I love them.
-I love the idea of either post-war-what-do-humans-do-with-aliens-living-everywhere (human victory scenario), or post-war-Earth-lost-and-the-Empire-reigns-supreme (Yeerk victory scenario). So much richness in either of those worlds!

And if all else fails, one of my rebels on a supply run to Earth could run into an Animorph. Because uh, they still think the Animorphs are Andalites. Whoops.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I'm on Pacific time, so that's nine hours behind Italy. I work 8-4 (I'm a science teacher) but I also have frequent breaks! The best times are probably your weekends in the early evening, so say, your Saturday or Sunday at 5pm would be my 8am.

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 06:27:48 PM »
To clarify, are we talking ship-in-space base, or Yeerk-Pool-base, or some-other-secret-base-like-the-ones-the-Animorphs-tried-to-go-destroy? Boy that last one was long. I'd be up for the latter two cause they leave some room for some full human, morphing able, character who doesn't necessarily live IN the base - which would be more my choice.

When I say base, I mean specifically an off-world base, underground, on an abandoned moon. Location unknown!

That works well with all your first 3 ideas I reckon! The other 2 both work but I'm slightly less interested in them, they take some of my favorite dynamics from the series away (acquiring and practicing new morphs, aliens among us secrecy...). I prefer the first half, maybe the first two thirds of the series by the way, in case it wasn't clear by now. Your additional idea works too but you don't sound too into that, so let's scratch it!

Actually I'm interested in the first three, but also the last idea! It would just be harder to sustain it, unless we just saw where the story took us.

I
To elaborate on what I said in my original post, I had something in mind with some dice rolling here and there, but lots of GM discretion. So, minimal stat sheet, rolling for success based on stats + situation, GM keeping consistency, realism, etc. in check: yes; super detailed HP for anything from characters to plants, injury tables, unending lists of classes, skills & stuff: naaaaah, unless you have a tested ruleset that has worked for you before. Is that good for you? The specific of how stats and rolls work could be up to the GM or we could agree on a system :)

I actually don't use dice rolling, I just use consistency / fairness in responding to attacks or new developments without powergaming / god-modding. Whatcha think?

BTW I played around with server settings on Discord yesterday, I have one set up with a few channels and a bot for dice rolling, we can move there when we have a general idea... and gh gets back to us I guess :P

Cool! I have a Discord account, my name on there is Myitt.

Timewise, Sat/Sun at 8am Pacific Time for a few hours works for me if you're normally already active at that time! I am normally busy on one of those two days only (quidditch practice cause yay normal hobbies), although I'll have plans for the whole weekend now and then, like next week.

Well Quidditch sounds awesome!! And yeah, I can try to do 8am (9am is probably better) on weekends.

Hey netspider,

-Yeerks.
In.

Thoughts?

[/quote]

Offline netspider86

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 04:31:39 AM »
I'd say we give it a try. I'll add you on Discord next time I log in, now to see if gh up here reappears, and one more person would be great, to have a reasonably sized group to start with.

Off-world base could be a bit weird, I have no particular interest in playing Yeerk (or Chee pretending to be Yeerk) characters myself, so if the main set for the story is an off-world base my character would stick out more than they'd like to.

<Who's this?>
"New recruit, Visser. Totally a Yeerk. Promise!"
<I have never seen him before>
"Yea well, you'll just have to trust me, not like we can quarantine him for 3 days and wait to see if the Kandrona starvation starts to kick in, right?"
<...>

Any ideas in mind that don't run into that issue? :P