Author Topic: Am I the fan one who enjoyed Alternamorphs?  (Read 1875 times)

Offline CatMorph

Am I the fan one who enjoyed Alternamorphs?
« on: July 23, 2017, 10:29:21 AM »
I think I'm the only one I know that liked the Alternamorphs. I was really into choose your own adventure books at the time, and an Animorphs themed one was a dream come true at the time.

Too bad the only choices you could make were what morph to choose. They could have given you different options on what to do while in morph instead, such as attack, hide, or run.

My favorite part about it though, was if you screwed up, it would tell you what page to go back too. No other choose your own adventure book did that. You had to keep your finger on the choice page, in case you wanted to go back after a bad choice, or read from start to finish again.

One of the Alternamorphs endings has you stuck as a fly forever. That's far worse than being trapped as a rat. Do you think that ending was in character, or far too harsh?

It was supposed to be a lesson in admitting you were wrong or something. You are made to promise you won't get in the way, which isn't that hard to do. Since it's been a while since I last read it, it's unclear to me how much of it was really the reader's fault, and whether or not the Animorphs were just jerks because of the stressful situation.

Offline tigz

Re: Am I the fan one who enjoyed Alternamorphs?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 04:11:09 PM »
From what I remember (and its been a long while) some of the choices seemed really illogical to me.
I too grew up reading "choose your own" books (including the great puzzle based nintendo series with mario and zelda themed books) and I recall feeling like some of the "correct" choices were either flawed (IMO) or I could just imagine a much better scenario with whatever "wrong" morph killed me.
TBH I haven't bothered re-reading them as an adult and I suppose if I did, I might be able to see that she was probably trying to show the unpredictability of war/battles, or the futility of war since mostly it just leads to death. But as my younger self I just thought the answers were stupid.

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 03:12:53 PM »
I think my basic problem with Alternamorphs was, in an effort to make the main character a "cool 90s kid," they ended up turning him into a confusing and unrelatable jerk. :P Like, I couldn't put myself in his shoes because nothing about him seemed natural. For an Animorph or anything else. I can't even remember why I felt this way, but I definitely had a reason, and it'd be interesting to do a reread to see if that still holds true.

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 10:33:32 PM »

Yeah, I mean they were pretty cool as "what if?" scenarios, I seem to remember having fun with them at the time.

Obvious cash-in on the Choose Your Own Adventure craze, but they were pretty decent reads.  I forget, were they out during the ghost-writer period, or were they an actual Katherine/Michael thing?

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

Offline tigz

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 01:12:10 PM »
having looked at them again, its basicly retcon fan-fic isnt it?
they kinda just followed the idea of putting "yourself" into the group.
except some retcon fan fic was actually just much better written.