Author Topic: new ranks  (Read 3825 times)

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
new ranks
« on: November 09, 2008, 02:48:30 PM »
just suggestions:

Technical Guru is for people with technical expertise that people can get assistance from.

Community Leader is one who exemplifies a good and helpful member but is not a Guru, Moderator or Administrator. (They typically get access to the Hidden board, but don't have mod powers.)

Spammer This person floods the board with too many posts, most of which are useless. If the spamming stops for X days, then they can return to normal status.

Offline Tyler

• Evil Kit Clown from Space
  • God
  • I'll kill you all!
Re: new ranks
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 02:50:32 PM »
Meh, too general.
I am eternal. I am the Eater of Worlds.

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 02:52:37 PM »
still want your mod rank, i see ;)

they can be changed, it's just suggestions.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 03:00:41 PM »
Spammer This person floods the board with too many posts, most of which are useless. If the spamming stops for X days, then they can return to normal status.

I think the last thing we want is to encourage spammers...
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline adamjared

• RAF Ancient
  • Gold Donor
  • .: One of the few remaining RAF Elders :.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 03:02:44 PM »
No, i think Goom Meant it as a title as a sort of punishment. Let everyone know that the person is a spammer.

Offline Tyler

• Evil Kit Clown from Space
  • God
  • I'll kill you all!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 03:03:25 PM »
Personally I like how it is now, being based on post-count and all.
I am eternal. I am the Eater of Worlds.

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 03:03:40 PM »
No, i think Goom Meant it as a title as a sort of punishment. Let everyone know that the person is a spammer.

exactly.
they can also have some penalties (like not being able to post more than X amount of times in a day etc.).

it's not a good rank at all.

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • Richard's Animorphs Forum
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 03:07:36 PM »
Spammera will be banned immediately, so there's no need for a title.

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 03:08:04 PM »
ah, okay. ;)

Offline adamjared

• RAF Ancient
  • Gold Donor
  • .: One of the few remaining RAF Elders :.
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 03:36:58 PM »
Spammera will be banned immediately, so there's no need for a title.

I don't think that Goom meant Spambots and the like, i think he meant actual Members, who are getting too carried away with double and triple posting, going off topic, etc.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 05:00:45 PM »

I know what he meant, but let's face it there are some idiots who might spam on purpose just to get the title. Also, as Rich said, we ban obsessive spammers.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 06:26:56 PM »
I like the idea of having ranks for reasons other than post-count, monetary donations, and positions of forum authority, but I definitely wouldn't favour having a rank for spammers.

Here is the way I see it: There are 400-ish-and-growing members of RAF. Just over 60 of those members have posted more than a few times. Of those 60-something members, there are maybe 20 that have acheived high ranks due to astronomically large post-counts. They receive a certain recognition for this.
However, there are members that have been here a very long time, who are very well-known in the boards and have established clear forum-personalities, yet not many of them have attained better than full-member status.
Perhaps there should be a rank for members who have been here a long time and who are active and well-known and widely-befriended, but who have relatively-low post-counts.

Example: I've been here almost exactly as long as Shanker, and he is very well-known in the boards, but my posts are nearly triple his. (no offence intended at all, Shanker, just making an example)
He is also older than quite a few members here who have more posts than he has (like Anna and Ken), but he's still stuck with a "Jr." on the front of his title.

Perhaps, after a person has been here a certain length of time, and/or has reached a certain karma, and is a very familiar name to the members here, they should gain a status comparable with members who have been here only briefly but are very fast posters (like Tyler was at the beginning).

?

Eh. Just a thought or five.

:)
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 11:25:57 PM »
I like the idea of having ranks based on how long one has been a member, and incorporating another element such as karma.

Would these ranks be awarded subjectively?  I think it would be interesting to do it that way; after all, many forums have awards they give out to members.  But it might be fairer to have it be completely objective, based on statistics.

Ah, now I've got ideas for RAFawards too.

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 12:04:32 AM »
we could have an additional rank based on how long you've been an active member as well (like 1 year member, 2 year member, old RAF member etc.)

that wouldn't encourage spamming, and would be nice to get.

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 12:11:44 AM »
Old RAF member?

How's this:

Classic RAFian: A rank for those who were here for Classic RAF, and who are still here

Veteran RAFian: A rank for those who have been active RAFians for at least three generation-waves of newbies, and thus attained a solid forum personality (in other words, if the newbies that THEY welcomed have welcomed another wave of newbs that are now welcoming OTHER newbs)

Maybe there should be another rank, for any RAFian who has been mentioned/used as a character in the RAF-based fan-fiction of another RAFian. Eh. It's late over here, and I'm speculating. Forget it.  :)
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time