Author Topic: Journey of a Mad Guitar Player  (Read 16867 times)

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
  • "I'm honestly a huge dork."
    • My Book
Re: Journey of a Mad Guitar Player
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 05:10:03 AM »
oh hey!! i get so excited when you guys put me in your stories tbh.

also this is great i love it and i'm laughing so hard but also feel horrible for laughing because i know gh is distressed and in pain and also possibly going crazy.
My Tumblr
Saffa is my shorm and RAFtwin. :D Lumy is my awesomeful RAFbrother. ;D
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer 2013
Best RAFian Supervillan/Minion Duo 2013 (Saffa/Abby :D Morph Twins)
RAFian Artist of the Year 2016

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 09:45:46 AM »
So, for the first chapter, Chapter 5, this.

“So, quick question here,” Xeno said. “Are we here to look for gh's guitars, or to go shopping?” Indeed, the four RAFians (and Anderson, although whether or not he was really there was up for debate) were standing outside a small guitar shop, not too far from RAF itself.

“The latter,” gh replied, not seeming to catch Xeno's sarcasm. “Although, if things work out, I wouldn't mind doing a little of the former.”

So, you're there to shop and not find your guitars? Oh, wait, I think I got it. Had to read on.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

guitarhero01234

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 11:18:08 AM »

also this is great i love it and i'm laughing so hard but also feel horrible for laughing because i know gh is distressed and in pain and also possibly going crazy.

Lol, thanks :D I really just hope I'm portraying you well :P

So, you're there to shop and not find your guitars? Oh, wait, I think I got it. Had to read on.

Was supposed to be a joke. Hey, they can't all be zingers! :P

:edit: New chapter

Chapter 7

“ABBY!” gh screamed. “LEMME BACK IN THERE! I WANNA TEAR HIS ****ING FACE OFF!”

“Yeah, that's not happening,” Abby said. After removing gh from the store, she switched her grip to a full nelson. “Not a good idea to go around killing people. . . .”

“I'M NOT GONNA KILL HIM, I'M JUST GONNA MAIM HIM A LITTLE!”

“Pipe down, gh,” Xeno said. Of course, throughout this disaster, Anderson was off to the side, snickering.

“gh,” Hunter said, covering his sensitive ears. “Look at me, man. Breathe.”

“I DO NOT WANT TO BREATHE, HUNTER.”

Hunter placed a hand on gh's shoulder. “gh,” he said again. “Breathe.”

To everyone's surprise, gh complied. Slowly, very slowly, the anger subsided. “Alright,” he said finally. “I'm cool. Abby, you can let me go.” She did – and gh fell straight to the sidewalk. “A little warning would have been nice!”

“That's what you get,” Abby said with a giggle.

“And you didn't have to grab my ear,” gh continued, gently rubbing his cartilage piercings.

“So, quick question here,” Xeno said. “What exactly is up with you, gh?”

“Alright, I think it's time to level with you guys.” gh took a deep breath. “. . . I watched this Tyler Perry movie. . . .”

“gh.”

“And ever since, I just haven't been the same! It's like I just have to punch everything.”

“You know we can't help if you're not gonna answer the question.”

“Alright,” gh moaned. “I haven't slept in days, I'm freaking out because my guitars are missing, I never got a chance to eat today, and I'm about ninety percent sure a certain somebody from my past has come back to haunt me. That work a little better for you?”

For a few moments, nobody said anything. After a while, Abby spoke up. “Why didn't you just say something?”

“Because I don't want you guys to worry, alright? Look, let's just get this done so we can get back to . . .” Out of the corner of his eye, gh saw Anderson smirking at him. “You know what? Give me a moment, guys.” This was met with an apprehensive look from Hunter – one that perhaps cut gh deeper than it should have. Nonetheless, gh walked around the street corner, holding up his index and middle finger. “Two seconds, alright?”

“You wanted to chat?” Anderson said, still wearing his smug grin.

“You're not helping things at all, you know,” gh said once he was sure the others were out of earshot.

“But what would be the fun in that?”

“You know what?” gh pointed a finger at Anderson – or rather, the air in front of him. To an onlooker, this would likely have been a bizarre scene to witness. “Piss off. My headache's coming back, and I really don't need some **** like you taunting me. I've got enough on my plate as it is. So do me a favor and die or something.”

“We are literally the same person,” Anderson commented.

“. . . God damn it, that really complicates things, doesn't it?” gh took a seat on the sidewalk. “I need some aspirin or something.”

“That bad?” Anderson said, his voice coated with smug satisfaction.

“Since when do you care?” gh closed his eyes for a moment to try to collect his thoughts. “Look, just try not to distract me, alright? I don't want everyone else thinking I'm crazy.”

“No promises.”

gh held up an open hand. “Just shut the hell up!” He rested his forehead in his trembling hand. “****,” he said, struggling to get any words out of his mouth. “I just need some sleep. . . .”

And with that, gh slipped out of consciousness.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 01:22:11 PM by gh »

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 01:45:10 PM »

Lol, thanks :D I really just hope I'm portraying you well :P
you're doing great honestly! i really love this.
also ugghhh man c'mon we're gonna worry whether you tell us or not, the worry will just be worse if we have no idea how to help you because you pull away =d
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

Offline Quaf

• Andre, the seventh animorph
  • Gold Donor
  • be excellent to each other and party on dudes
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2016, 12:59:24 AM »
ah yes what better way to procrastinate than to read about the journey of a mad guitarist

It's great I love it
Well, I'm the boss... Head Honcho. El Numero Uno. Mr. Big. The Godfather. Lord of the Rings. The Bourne... Identity. Er... Taxi Driver. Jaws. I forgot the question quite a while back. Who are you, again?

guitarhero01234

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2016, 01:18:06 AM »
Thanks, guys :D

New chapter. Sorry if it's a little short, but I really wanted an excuse to do this song adaptation.

Chapter 8

“Back here again,” gh said loudly. “Great. Just great.”

Indeed, gh was back in the void inside his mind. A part of him expected Anderson to appear again. For a while (if time even meant anything), he waited. And waited. And . . . nothing. It's like a goddamn prison, he thought.

Then, he heard a soft, yet ominous drumbeat. It started out very quiet, as if it was coming from the distance, but grew louder and louder. As the sound grew closer, gh could hear a chromatic, atonal keyboard melody accompanying the drums.

He looked down and noticed that he still had the Hello Kitty guitar in his hand. How or why it followed gh into his mind, he wasn't sure, but now wasn't exactly the time for questions. He sat down on the immaterial floor, and resting the guitar on his leg, he began to play. As if on cue, a voice exactly like his own began singing.

Close your eyes,
Get ready, one won't stop the flow. . . .
Console your child,
Get him ready, one more, don't let go
Tonight
It's you

gh himself sang along with his vocal doppelganger for the next verse, somehow knowing the lyrics, as if by instinct:

Calm your eyes,
Get ready, one won't stop the flow
Soul coming around to the morning sun
C'mon, soul of mine,
You're ready, one more don't let go
Tonight . . .
It's soda water, boys
It's soda water, so. . . .

The music began to build in intensity as gh alone sang the next verse:

Ah, soul of mine,
Ah, sober
Ah, sold the mind
Ah, I'm so sober
I know the way,
Ah, stoned
Ah, so it ends,
Ah, I'm stone sober. . . .

The disembodied voice then took the lead, outright screaming at gh. He stopped playing out of surprise, but the music continued to grow into a cacophonous crescendo.

Ah, gimme that gun!
Gimme that acid!
I wanna lose everything that's policing us, and then everything must begin!
And I wanna kill everything!
And I wanna smash it all to bits!
I wanna lose everything but release,
Why don't you just BREAK THEIR ****ING SKULLS!?

gh tried to focus his mind, to break himself out of this nightmare. After all, this was all in his head, wasn't it? However, his efforts had little to no effect on the choir of voices around him, shouting all kinds of violent urges at him. He wanted to drown it out. He wanted to to ignore it. But it got louder and louder. Finally, gh had enough. “Face yourself!” he screamed, barely able to even hear himself. He didn't even know what he meant by that, but the words just came out of his mouth. He shut his eyes and clasped his hands together, trying to focus on something . . . anything but that damned noise. And slowly, very slowly, the noise subsided.

Source song. Does it make sense in context? Not really. Does it make sense even with the lyrical changes I made? Probably not. Is it a great friggin' slow burn of a song that proves how much of a genius Devin Townsend is? Oh, hell yes :P

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2016, 02:34:22 AM »
oh snap. this is really cool man
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

guitarhero01234

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2016, 02:54:07 AM »

New chapter. I promise, this is gonna be the last dead-serious chapter for a while. Chapter 10 in particular is gonna take a turn for the . . . let's say, "bizarre" ;)

Chapter 9

After leaving the realm of his subconscious, gh almost dared not open his eyes. The only thing he felt under his arms was grass and leaves, which immediately was not a good sign. If he remembered correctly, he passed out while sitting on the sidewalk. Perhaps the other RAFians had moved him? But if that was the case, why lay him down on the ground?

When he did open his eyes, gh found that he was, in fact, not in the same place. The only thing he could see were trees, and beyond the canopy of trees, the last remnants of a sunset, with a few birds circling overhead. “What the hell,” he said in disbelief as he carefully propped himself up. He rested his still throbbing head in his hand. Why wouldn't this godforsaken headache go away?

“Well, I see you're awake,” Anderson's voice said.

“Great,” gh said, slamming his arm against the ground. “You're still here. That's the first thing I need right now.” His voice was thick with sarcasm.

“Aw, I love you too!” Anderson grinned from ear to ear, showcasing rows of immaculate teeth.

“Shove it,” gh mumbled. As he stood up, he looked around and surveyed his surroundings. Nothing but trees as far as the eye could see. “Where the hell even are we?”

“If I'm correct, I'd say we're in a forest.”

gh looked unamused. “Gee, thanks for that brilliant insight. What ever would I do without you?”

“Well,” Anderson started, “considering that we're literally the same person. . . .”

“I repeat: shove it.” gh dusted himself off and collected his Hello Kitty guitar from the ground. “If you don't mind, I'd like to get my ass out of here as soon as possible. So, unless you actually have any advice, I'd much appreciate it if you'd shut the **** up, please.” gh started walking in whatever direction felt correct while absentmindedly noodling on his new (albeit slightly embarrassing) guitar.

“And what're you going to do if I don't?” Anderson pondered rhetorically. “Kick me out of your messed-up head space? I'd like to see you try.”

“Listen.” gh stopped playing momentarily. “You might think I'm some horribly violent psychopath. And hell, maybe I am. I don't exactly have the best track record, I'm aware.” He looked Anderson dead in the eyes. “But I swear, if I can't excise you outright, I'm gonna keep a leash on you, even if it kills me.” gh returned his eyes to the path ahead. “First, I get out of this forest . . . wherever I am. Then, I find the other RAFians, and then my guitars. Then, I sleep for a week straight. Then, finally, I find a way to kill you dead in your tracks.”

Anderson had no retort for this, other than his trademark grin. “God, what is wrong with me,” gh said, a little bothered by the lack of any response. “Here I am, talking to a hallucination of a freaking armadillo mascot. I must be really exhausted.” He took a deep breath. “Or crazy.”

“Or both,” Anderson offered.

“Nobody asked for your input,” gh muttered. In all reality, gh was only talking to hear something other than the sound of his own guitar playing. At least, that's what he told himself.

gh walked in silence for a while, until the forest was shrouded in total darkness. He sat down on the ground by a small river to take a quick rest.

“So, you mind if I ask you a question?” Anderson said, finally breaking the silence.

“Shoot.”

“Whoever took your guitars. You really think it was . . . her?” Even Anderson seemed apprehensive to bring this person up.

“It's a possibility,” gh admitted. “And a pretty decent one at that.” He sighed and tried to fight off sleep, which was not easy in the least. “If it was her, I am so screwed I don't even want to think about it.” He was already mumbling sleepily. The urge to drift off into a nap was very tempting at this point.

“You think? Let's be honest here, you could probably take her out if you needed to. . . .”

This seemed to jerk gh out of his daze. Immediately, he stood up and glared daggers at Anderson. “You know what? Yeah, I probably could. But would I?” He gripped the neck of his guitar tightly. “It's like I said, I'm not letting you control me. Say I do give into my anger and 'take her out.' That would only prove that I'm insane. And I don't need any more proof of that right now.”

gh rubbed his forehead with a trembling hand. “****,” he muttered. “I think it's coming on again. . . .” As if on cue, gh stumbled, almost falling onto his guitar. Struggling to retain any hold he could onto consciousness, he fumbled in his pocket for a second before retrieving his cigarette lighter. Without a second thought, he struck the flint wheel and held the flame as long as he could before passing out. After a moment, he extinguished the flame and held the still-heated chimney of the lighter against his wrist.

“JESUS!” he yelled, resisting the urge to pull his arm away from the lighter. After the lighter cooled down, gh looked at his wrist; there was a minor burn mark, but nothing that wouldn't heal after a couple days. Thankfully, the painful sensation served as a momentary tether for gh's mind.

“What is wrong with you!?” Anderson said. For a moment, he almost seemed concerned for gh.

“I'm not gonna pass out again,” gh said, a blend of frustration and determination permeating his voice. He started walking along the riverbed. “Come on. I'm gonna find my way out of here one way or another.”

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2016, 05:21:25 AM »
Getting serious Arkham Knight vibes here.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2016, 05:40:50 PM »
honestly i love this. i don't even care that it's super serious and dark right now, it's fantastic
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

guitarhero01234

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2016, 02:00:28 AM »
Thanks! I really do appreciate the praise :D

New chapter. This . . . this is . . . a . . . thing, I guess? I'm sorry, I really have no words for what you're about to read.

Chapter 10

gh continued walking well into the night, well past the point that any sane individual would have stopped. Of course, this was not the case for gh. Fueled by a sense of determination (which some might call stupidity), he pressed forward.

As the night went on, gh's body screamed at him to stop. He needed to sleep. He needed to eat. And dear god, did he wish he hadn't smoked his last cigarette at work. All of these things only served as a force pushing gh forward, however. Not only did he need to find his guitars, but he needed to prove to himself how strong he was. A little foolish, maybe, but it wasn't easy to think straight under his circumstances.

He continued until his stomach started growling. That was the point when he realized he had to eat something. He looked around for anything remotely edible. Tree bark? No, he wasn't a Hork-Bajir. Even in his current state, he wasn't quite crazy enough to try that. Grass? Not nearly enough sustenance. Dirt? Wait, that's just plain ridiculous.

There. Out of the corner of his eye, gh saw something growing in front of a tree. A small group of mushrooms.

“You think they're safe to eat?” gh asked Anderson.

“How should I know?” Anderson answered derisively. “If you don't know if they're poisonous or not, how would I?”

“Right,” gh said. “God, I'm forgetting we're not, you know. . . .”

“Literally the same-”

“Shut up.” gh knelt down to inspect the mushrooms. “I have no idea,” he concluded. He shook his head. “Screw it. I'm friggin' starving.”

Anderson shook his head. “It's your grave. . . .”

gh stood up, having finished his snack. “So glad I found those mushrooms,” he said, still chewing on the last remnants, “I was starving.” He looked around the forest surrounding him. “Y'know, this place is kinda . . . juicy.” When he said the last word of that sentence, the letters “J,” “U,” “I,” “C,” and “Y” flew out of gh's mouth and hung in the air, each of them a different color.

gh walked forward a little bit, making some rather odd vocalizations and observing the trail that his hand left when he waved it in front of his face. He especially made note of the forest scenery, which was much more vibrantly-colored than it seemed earlier.

When gh came to a clearing, something made him stop in his tracks. There, movement! Before gh could react, a tall humanoid figure covered in brown fur came into view.

Oh my God, Sasquatch!” gh yelled with a laugh.

In response, the Sasquatch let out a roar, which was not quite as intimidating as gh would have imagined it would be. “gh, what's up!” the Sasquatch replied in a rather doofy voice. As gh ran up and hugged the tall, shaggy creature, he let out a big laugh. “What're you doin' out here?

I was just walking in your beautiful forest,” gh said, looking around once again at the psychedelic imagery.

Oh, it's not my forest, brotha',” the Sasquatch said, “it's everyone's!

gh once again gave the Sasquatch a hug. “You're so ****in' awesome, I love you!

I love you, too, gh! You're an awesome rocker!

gh and the friendly Sasquatch both let out a series of roars, each more pathetic than the last.

Can I be a Sasquatch, too?” gh asked.

You already are,” the Sasquatch replied in a sage-like yet still idiotic tone. “You're my son, gh. My little baby Sas'.

When gh looked down at himself, he realized the he was indeed covered in shaggy brown fur, much like his new friend. Without another word, the two began to frolic through the bright colors of the forest while music started playing from somewhere. “Time to fly!” the Sasquatch said, and as gh jumped onto his back, the two rocketed into the air. Feeling the greatest song of his life coming on, gh began singing along to the music:

Down where the Sasquatch hide,
In the misty mountainside,
He's got shiny diamonds that he's got to protect!
Look into the Sasquatch eye,
Did you know that Sas' could fly?
Sasquatch is my daddy and he's got to protect me!
Half man, half machine,
On the cover of a magazine,
Bigfoot is my father and he's got to protect me!
These lyrics don't make sense,
Think I've found my evidence,
That Yeti is my father and he wants to protect me!

You know where I can find my guitars?” gh asked, interrupting his gorgeous song.

Sure!” the Sasquatch chirped. “They're right over there!” He pointed ahead, and as a matter of fact, there Señor Butterball was, floating right in front of them.

Let's get it!” gh said. “I can get it . . . if I stand on- WHOA!” With a jolt, gh was falling, and this immediately broke him out of his trip. He looked down, having seemed to have fallen out of a tree, and right below him. . . .

gh groaned as a tree branch rushed up from below him and he landed, straddling said branch. “Oh . . . not again. . . .” He limply fell off of the branch and landed in a heap on the dirt ground. He slowly picked himself up. “That was really weird. Sasquatch isn't my father. . . .”

. . . I will not apologize for my brilliant formatting. Comic Sans is glorious, even if it is F U C K I N G   C A N C E R. Source for this absolute mind****, if anybody cares.

And yes, this is the third Tenacious D adaptation that I've done in one of these things. I shudder to imagine what song I'm gonna use if I ever write another companion piece. . . .
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:55:15 AM by gh »

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2016, 02:48:23 AM »
yes, gh, because consuming random mushrooms that could potentially kill you is smart sigh.
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

guitarhero01234

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2016, 02:54:39 AM »
Well, when at any point in this book was gh thinking even remotely straight? :P

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2016, 05:56:34 AM »
Reminds me of this.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2016, 12:18:24 PM »
oh my gosh haha that's exactly what it reminds me of thank you for that XD
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013