Author Topic: The Animorphs lived after 54, Confirmed by Michael Grant  (Read 9976 times)

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
Re: The Animorphs lived after 54, Confirmed by Michael Grant
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 03:04:20 AM »
Yeah, and that's what I'd hope for if they go back there, anyway.  Set it 200 years after the Earth war, see what's been going down since.  Some new Yeerk insurgency, or new war entirely, Andalite or Hork lead characters perhaps.

And yup, Scholastic's testing-the-waters attempt with re-publishing the originals bombed, and hard.  There's just no audience for this anymore.

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2016, 06:47:13 AM »
They should make a series about a publishing company trying to reboot a book series suspiciously similar to Animorphs during an actual alien invasion.
yeah

Offline TheWolfEmperor

• The Salem Author From Bennington
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2016, 12:42:53 PM »
They should make a series about a publishing company trying to reboot a book series suspiciously similar to Animorphs during an actual alien invasion.

Heck, fans were speculating that the Animorphs books were being secretly deployed to alert people about the Yeerk Invasion.

Author, Blogger, Soldier, Spy

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2016, 06:34:17 PM »
S O   M E T A
yeah

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2016, 11:21:49 PM »
Yeah, and that's what I'd hope for if they go back there, anyway.  Set it 200 years after the Earth war, see what's been going down since.  Some new Yeerk insurgency, or new war entirely, Andalite or Hork lead characters perhaps.

And yup, Scholastic's testing-the-waters attempt with re-publishing the originals bombed, and hard.  There's just no audience for this anymore.

It bombed largely because they dropped the ball on marketing for it, not because there's no audience. Look at the new Power Rangers movie coming out. Relaunches are all about the way they're market and, more often than not, these days it means giving them a darker tone--which Animorphs is perfectly suited for.

The problem was that they were given slightly cooler but still cheesy covers, limited press, and next to no publicity beyond a shiny new website. Scholastic bungled it.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2016, 02:26:36 AM »
The Power Rangers movie isn't going after the original audience, though.  They're switching the tone up big-time and going for broad mass appeal.  Sort of like what they did with Transformers, only it looks half-decent unlike that.

I wouldn't so much blame Scholastic for the marketing.  The marketed the original run pretty damn well, it's just that the audience who wants it are now like 25-35 years old (and honestly, 90% of the people who read them back in the day don't care about it anymore, life goes on) and the kids these days just flat out didn't give a sh*t.  Which is fine.  But it was just sort of a shot in the dark, seeing if there was interest.  There just wasn't.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 02:28:07 AM by NothingFromSomething »

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 11:02:57 PM »
There is still a market for books targeted at kids 5-15. Although I'll admit it is probably smaller than it was when Animorphs first came out. I didn't really notice any marketing for the new release so that could have very well been part of the reason they didn't do well. I definitely didn't like the new covers.

themichaelgrant:
Hmmm. I don’t know about another Chronicles. I never know till I sit down to do it. We’ve thought about revisiting Animorphs, most recently when I was contemplating a new series (new as in I haven’t written it yet) where I saw I could either base it in the Animorphs universe or the Gone universe. The Gone universe worked better, and I no longer have much of a relationship with Scholastic, whereas I am very tight with Katherine Tegen, my publisher/editor at HarperCollins. As for the ‘controversial’ ending of Animorphs, we still think it’s right, but more right for us than it was for the readers.
The interest has been mentioned other times, dig through the amas

It sounds like this ended up becoming a sequel in the GONE universe, which he just confirmed about a week ago: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/14563799-monster
He does say he's mixing in about 10% Animorphs though!

To the point of the original topic though: I really like that the ending is ambiguous. I think it tells the rest of their story without really telling the rest of their story. Whether they survived this battle or not doesn't matter. Eventually there would be another battle and eventually they would die in battle. They were just the kind of people who would always have a war to fight.

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 11:47:55 PM »
Exactly.  Exactly.

Jake's doomed to fight, he's never, ever going to be free of it, and whether he dies then and there with the ship or not, he's dying doing this at some point.

It's just the "the end is the beginning is the end" thing.

Offline TheFearlessLeader

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2017, 11:12:42 AM »
I would like to see a sequel series written, but set in the future. So, like, not right after the ramming of the blade ship. But instead, introduce brand new characters either on Earth, in space, or both. Have it be 2017, with the ending of the last book falling under the same chronoligical timeline. That would put the gang somewhere in their 30's.
Maybe there is another threat out there, and a young group of teens needs to step up and stop them some other way. Maybe animal morphing isn't as common and instead there are a number of alien species that can be acquired for use in battle. Maybe Elimist is still playing his games and interfering while not interfering.

And maybe make vague references to what happened in the past, with the group ramming the blade ship. Like, don't spell it out exactly but point to historical events that were impacted by the final pages of book 54. Is The One still out there? Is that the threat, finally making it's way to Earth space?

Maybe they live and make an appearance somewhere deep into the new series. Maybe it is confirmed that the action of ramming the blade ship caused a chain reaction of positive events to unfold, although they all died in the process. Maybe Cassie goes searching for them, and ends up like Elfangor, crash-landing back on Earth somehow, giving her dying breath to a group of teens and telling them to FIGHT.

I just think someone could write a very successful book series today, in the Animorphs universe, under some of the circumstances outlined above. Without having to simply take over directly after book 54 ends, and without even including the entire main cast of characters.
I went to the window and looked up at the stars. Somewhere up there, around one of those
cold, twinkling stars, was the Andalite home world. Somewhere up there was . . . hope.

<They'll come,> Tobias said. <The Andalites will come. And until then . . . >

I nodded and wiped away my tears. "Yeah," I said. "Until then, we fight."

Offline crayakdidnothingwrong

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2017, 01:25:53 PM »
I would like to see a sequel series written, but set in the future. So, like, not right after the ramming of the blade ship. But instead, introduce brand new characters either on Earth, in space, or both. Have it be 2017, with the ending of the last book falling under the same chronoligical timeline. That would put the gang somewhere in their 30's.
Maybe there is another threat out there, and a young group of teens needs to step up and stop them some other way. Maybe animal morphing isn't as common and instead there are a number of alien species that can be acquired for use in battle. Maybe Elimist is still playing his games and interfering while not interfering.

And maybe make vague references to what happened in the past, with the group ramming the blade ship. Like, don't spell it out exactly but point to historical events that were impacted by the final pages of book 54. Is The One still out there? Is that the threat, finally making it's way to Earth space?

Maybe they live and make an appearance somewhere deep into the new series. Maybe it is confirmed that the action of ramming the blade ship caused a chain reaction of positive events to unfold, although they all died in the process. Maybe Cassie goes searching for them, and ends up like Elfangor, crash-landing back on Earth somehow, giving her dying breath to a group of teens and telling them to FIGHT.

I just think someone could write a very successful book series today, in the Animorphs universe, under some of the circumstances outlined above. Without having to simply take over directly after book 54 ends, and without even including the entire main cast of characters.
I'm honestly not sure how interested I'd be in a series without the mains. I mean I'd definitely give it a chance, but for me the books were always about the characters. Idk.

Offline NickDaGriff

• RAF's resident geeky gryphon
    • My deviantArt
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2017, 06:28:48 PM »
Well, they say that if you can't find the story you want to read, you should write it.  ;)

That does sound like a good idea for a fic, and the post Yeerk War era is ripe for great stories.  Nothing wrong with bringing in a full team of new OCs, they just have to be interesting.  Good stories are always about the characters.  And yeah, this community could always use more fics. :)
[spoiler=A writer at heart:]
My sequel fic, Animorphs #55: The Following
My first Memoirs fic, A Geeky Gryphon's Origins

Offline TheFearlessLeader

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2017, 09:46:40 AM »
Well, they say that if you can't find the story you want to read, you should write it.  ;)

That does sound like a good idea for a fic, and the post Yeerk War era is ripe for great stories.  Nothing wrong with bringing in a full team of new OCs, they just have to be interesting.  Good stories are always about the characters.  And yeah, this community could always use more fics. :)

http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=5423.0

I had attempted to write something that would eventually play out and become a new series with brand new characters. It was just baby steps to start, but it hasn't blossomed since. I truly haven't had any time to write more. But the premise was that the next "mission" they would go on would introduce the new "team", and that the Ellimist had planted an extreme power inside one of the new team members, which would eventually be revealed. It would counter The One's power, and I had many other ideas going on at the time I initially wrote that so many years ago.
I went to the window and looked up at the stars. Somewhere up there, around one of those
cold, twinkling stars, was the Andalite home world. Somewhere up there was . . . hope.

<They'll come,> Tobias said. <The Andalites will come. And until then . . . >

I nodded and wiped away my tears. "Yeah," I said. "Until then, we fight."

gacett

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2017, 07:46:41 PM »
Hello.  I'm saying hi to my own past and those of you who were here a decade or more before.  It's nice to see some familiar names still posting here.  Reading the books now feels like a time machine to who I was and how the world was back then, if you guys remember how the 90's felt.  Time flies, but now it feels like ages have passed.  Hope you guys are doing ok :)

MC's all the way for me, I grew up with them.  Trying to tell a story without them in the universe would feel like ditching my old friends for new ones.