Author Topic: What should have happened to Aftran 942?  (Read 3380 times)

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
What should have happened to Aftran 942?
« on: June 18, 2021, 06:49:43 PM »
I don't think sending her off as a Humpback Whale nothlit was the best thing Jake could have done. I think there are better options that were on the table he could have picked, so I made a poll. Let's see what you all think!

https://strawpoll.com/e3hh4o2ak

Offline TheWolfEmperor

• The Salem Author From Bennington
Re: What should have happened to Aftran 942?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 02:01:55 PM »
The poll isn't loading but I'll weigh in here.

Aftran was a known traitor to the Yeerks. She was being tortured for information regarding the Yeerk Peace Movement and she might well have given up what she knew about the Animorphs.

Try to remember, Cassie risked not only her own life, but the life of Ax to go to the Yeerk Pool alone to rescue her.

She was useless to both the YPM and the Animorphs at that point. She was a low ranking Yeerk who's only saving grace was apparently figuring out that Cassie was one of the so called Andalite Bandits, a piece of information she wasn't even willing to share with her superiors. She probably didn't even have access to the Pool Ship, let alone any of the information higher ranking Yeerks would be privy to. So she was more of a liability than an asset.

Letting her become a Nothlit was the merciful thing to do.
Author, Blogger, Soldier, Spy

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
Re: What should have happened to Aftran 942?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 05:19:48 AM »
I'm sorry that the poll didn't load for you. I hope that if you had been able to read the other options, you may have picked one of the first four. Here are the six options as I wrote them months ago, verbatim:

1. Have Aftran morph human and become a human nothlit, living with the Chee or Free Hork-Bajir and communicating with Illim/Mr. Tidwell for intel.
2. Aftran stays in Cassie's head and receives Kandrona rays from Erek King or another Chee, participating in missions with Cassie.
3. Tom is rescued and his Yeerk is either kept alive (imprisoned) in Erek's head, or maybe Tom kills him. Aftran goes into Tom's head and pretends to be his old Yeerk, acting as a mole/spy.
4. Aftran becomes a different animal nothlit.
5. K.A.'s original ending, fleshed out by Melinda Metz, where Aftran becomes a whale and leaves the war, was the best thing that could have happened for the war effort.
6. Other? (discuss in thread)

I will admit that I got these ideas after reading some fan fictions that feature Aftran as a main character.