Author Topic: Academic Paper on Animorphs  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Canicula

Academic Paper on Animorphs
« on: September 04, 2016, 11:29:01 AM »
Hey guys, I hope the topic fits in this thread, otherwise feel free to move it around.

I'm at the end of my studies in anglistics at university and I always wanted to do a bigger project about the Animorphs. The problem is: I'm not sure what exactly it could be about.

My first idea was to do something about the the differences between the books written by K.A. and the ghostwritten books, but I'm not really sure if that would be possible.
Also, I thought maybe some of you have further ideas concerning academic topic that I didn't come up with.

So to sum this up:
What are your ideas? What could an academic paper be about?

I'm from Germany, so don't wonder, if my sentences are a bit weird sometimes...

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Re: Academic Paper on Animorphs
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 03:37:04 PM »
I really like the author vs ghostwriter idea, but it'd be hard if you're limiting yourself to the books/Animorphs alone. Don't know how much info there is about how that was handled outside a few forum posts on the web.

The obvious thing would be how Animorphs deals with the morality of war: reasons for fighting; how ethics changes over time/circumstance; justifications of killing/slavery; the notion that all of one side is good or evil.

Beyond those ideas, I could see writing about portrayal of animal minds, specifically short comings or misinformation in the books presentation of such (biologist).
There's also the representation of fictional beings, how they were unique, or approriated from standard story telling models; the "noble savage" of the Hork-Bajir; the honorable but overly righteous Andalites; the Yeerks, particularly in regard to their tyrannical and war driven society; the sentient species full enslaved by it's own instincts, Taxxons (particulary unique imo); pacifist Pemalites; the joyful nature of Howlers; those tiresomely complex, adaptable and unbreakable humans with their spirit.

I think for any topic you choose those, it has to be decided if you'll present on the concept as executed by Animorphs (eg author vs ghostauthor: a literary examination with Animorphs as the examples) or how the Animorphs utilized the notion (the effects of author vs ghostauthors on the development and story of Animorphs). Similar, but different.

But I don't know, i don't do literature
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
Re: Academic Paper on Animorphs
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 11:09:12 PM »
I love these ideas. What journals would you be looking at?

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash