Author Topic: How would Mother's Day affect the Animorphs?  (Read 3012 times)

Offline Tim Bruening

How would Mother's Day affect the Animorphs?
« on: May 09, 2016, 01:47:55 AM »
(Aluminator's edit, in an effort to make this a topic which allows for better discussion)

How would the various Animorphs celebrate Mother's Day? How would it leave them feeling? How would it affect them, and what implications might it have for them, both on and off the team? Might it motivate them? Leave them depressed? What about the other characters? How would things be different at different points throughout the series? How about throughout the various alternate universes we see? Any other interesting thoughts on the topic?

Quote from: Original Post
Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day to Visser 1!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 04:17:17 PM by Aluminator (Kit) »

guitarhero01234

Re: Happy Mother's Day OT
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 02:05:38 PM »
Tim. This. Is not. Animorphs-related. How many times do we have to tell you this?

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 02:07:28 PM »

Technically he did make it Animorphs related by directing it to Visser One.
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

guitarhero01234

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 02:13:12 PM »
I don't think that really justifies a new thread for it, though. Tim has been temporarily banned before for making countless threads like this.

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 02:20:25 PM »
     Gosh darnnit, Tim. Get your shiz together, mate!

Well, let's discuss how hard Mother's Day would be for some of the Animorphs characters, specifically what roles mothers play in the series.

Ask a mod to change the topic's name, and then this can be a useful discussion.

Edit*

So in an attempt to make this a relevant topic, let us examine what Mother's Day would have been like for the Animorphs, not just through the Animorphs themselves, but through various other characters, species, and (mayhaps) cultures. First, the mothers themselves: namely, whose mothers, their roles in the series, and specific moments between mother and child which could help explain their relationship. Secondly, what the mother role means to those with mothers--humans in general and Animorphs characters specifically--and those without--Yeerks and the Chee to name a couple.

Of the six Animorphs, only three currently have something akin to stable relationships with their mothers: Jake, Rachel, and Cassie. Marco's mother is Visser One, and doesn't see her son as a free human being until near the end of the series. Tobias' mother was forced to abandon him due to memory loss and blindness. Ax's mother is still alive, but he hasn't seen her since he boarded the Dome ship with Elfangor--you know, to fight Yeerks and stuff. So throughout the series we have examples of present and absent mothers.

I'm wondering how certain Animorphs would have acted on Mother's Day. One can assume that Jake and Tom and their dad would take their mother out for brunch or dinner or what have you, maybe attend a family dinner to celebrate mother and grandmother. There would be flowers, and the usual begrudging appreciation for their mom that is seen in teenagers on Mother's Day. I can totally see Jake thinking, "I love my mom and everything, and I want to appreciate her, but I also have things to do." Likewise, I can see Tom (specifically Tom's Yeerk) actively expressing his indifference to his family and being mistaken for the moody teenager who would rather be anywhere else, and be doing anything else than wasting the day pampering mom. Now, picture how Jake might feel once his mom gets taken by the Yeerks. Mayhaps it wasn't around the time of Mother's Day when all that was going on, but one imagine the sort of state Jake's mind would have been in regardless.

Rachel's mother provides an interesting case: both a single, working mother, and something of a badass/hard-ass in her own right. I can see Naomi getting handmade gifts from Sara and Jordan, while Rachel buys a gift, or does some other nice gesture like make her breakfast, or take her mom out to a day at the spa. We see a few times in the series that Naomi is often too busy to play the same role Jake's and Cassie's mothers play. Sometimes Rachel has to take care of her siblings and make dinner because, being a lawyer, Naomi can't. She has to provide for her family alone--although, she must get a nice amount of child support from her ex-husband. But even when Naomi's life is sent spiralling down into the Yeerk war by the end of the series, she still puts her daughters' well-being first. She is the mama-bear.

Poor Tobias, we all know, was raised without parents. With two fathers (his biological and step fathers) dead, and his mother absent due to aforementioned circumstances, Tobias was shuffled between two relatives who could care less about him, one of whom was an aunt. Was their a genuine attempt initially by his aunt to care even a little about Tobias? Did Tobias make cards for his aunt on Mother's Day? What of that nice neighbour lady who used to let Tobias pick berries in her backyard: did he see her as a mother figure? When Tobias' actual mother, Loren, is back in the picture, there's an attempt by both to establish some kind of relationship, but it's...well, the definition of awkwardness. In Animorphs 49: the Diversion, Tobias actually gets jealous of Loren's dog. Yet, suddenly he finds his mother in his life, and he's hopeful.

Cassie's experiences were probably similar to Jake's, only she still gets to see her mother even after the Yeerks find out their identities.

Marco and his father probably visit the grave of his mom, which is made all the more difficult once Marco discovers that she isn't actually dead. Imagine how much more difficult this day would be once he's aware that his mother is out there helping the biggest threat to humanity. Given that said discovery took place in Animorphs #5, and Eva isn't freed until Animorphs #45, Marco faces roughly two or three mother's days with this information. That must suck. Then consider the fact that he gets a step-mother that he might have to show appreciation for. Maybe they suddenly go to brunch or dinner, like Jake or Cassie's family, except with the fact that Marco knows the truth, and must continue playing out a harsh lie.
     I find myself asking how Ax would have reacted. Do the Andalites have similar days dedicated to mothers? Feel free to provide examples, because I personally cannot remember Ax reflecting solely on his mother, apart from the homesickness he feels in the series. Given how many rituals Andalites perform daily, I imagine there could possibly be an annual ritual commemorating one's mother. I think Ax would have had some thoughts to out down in his little Human culture diary about Mother's Day.

Then there are examples of mother figures not existing at all. The Yeerks and the Chee are two such races created without a biological mother figure. Even animals have mothers, though they play different--but somewhat similar--roles in the development of their young. A Yeerk is born as one in a litter of hundreds and sometimes thousands of other Yeerks, from the remains of three deceased Yeerks. They have no emotional attachment to their parents--given the latter--and one could argue--as many fans have--that this influences a Yeerk's development, especially where empathy is concerned. Yeerks do have hosts, however, and most likely have thoughts about such a human tradition. Edriss, Eva's Yeerk, actually sees herself, and not Allison Kim, as the mother of Madra and Darwin--the children of the latter and Hildy Gervais. Of course, Visser One has some interesting thoughts on what constitutes love--one of which being infesting her former host's children and forcing them to love her. Then, of course, there is Edriss' other host, Eva, another mother.

The Chee consider the Pemalites as more than just creators; they feel genuine love for the dog-like race driven into extinction by the Howlers. Some Chee might have posed as mothers themselves, similar to how Mr. King poses as Erek's father. Naturally, one can assume that the Chee don't go so far into their roles as to actually celebrate the Androids posing as a mother figure.

The Hork-Bajir do have females who act in mother roles, unlike the Yeerks and the Chee, but not a lot is written about the sort of bond that a mother Hork-Bajir has with her child.

Most of these thoughts don't come to many conclusions. But I'd be interested in hearing what everyone thinks.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 05:59:31 PM by Duck, Duck, Goose »
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
Re: How would Mother's Day affect the Animorphs?
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 11:52:10 AM »
Alright, I've edited the first post, so this is now a discussion of the implications of Mother's Day for the various Animorphs. Good suggestion, Goose ^_^ I'll add to it later if I get the chance.

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 01:17:18 PM »
Alright, I've edited the first post, so this is now a discussion of the implications of Mother's Day for the various Animorphs. Good suggestion, Goose ^_^ I'll add to it later if I get the chance.

Would it be kosher to expand this topic further to consider how Father's Day would affect the Animorphs, or should we start a new thread for that?

Offline Quaf

• Andre, the seventh animorph
  • Gold Donor
  • be excellent to each other and party on dudes
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 05:29:42 AM »
Go ahead. You can even edit the title of the thread cos you started it, just please don't start a new one. And man, you like using the word kosher a lot.

Edit:
DDG you basically summed up all my thoughts on the mothers and stuff, so I don't have anything to add there.

Also, reading back on this I got off topic quite a few times, sorry :P

Okay, Father's Day. Actually, more of a general animorphs/father relationship post. I have a terrible memory and haven't read the books since summer, so forgive me if I've missed anything/made mistakes (I probably missed a lot of apostrophes and capital letters too). Let's take a look at the relationship between the animorphs and their fathers.

You've gotta feel sorry for Tobias here. His stepfather is dead, I don't think tobias even remembers him(?)The next "fatherly figure" he has is the uncle, and what a great guy he is. Probably was drunk on Father's Day. The most fatherly person in his life pre-book 23 was the teacher who I forgot his name, the only guy who noticed he was missing. Seriously, where were the cops? Did their school not notice he hadn't rocked up after a year?! Anyway, then he found out his real dad was an alien, whoop dee doo. This was probably the best news he'd heard regarding his parents, other than Loren being alive later on, since he knew Elfangor was a great guy-he'd felt some sort of connection with him in the Invasion, and now it all made sense. Then in whatever book the torture one was, he felt the tail blade on his forehead. That moment was probably the closest Tobias had ever felt with a father. As for Father's Day, I like to think that post-book 23, tobias and Ax had a little celebration in the forest, with Ax telling T stories about his bro and T wishing he could of known him better.

Now Jake, oh fearless leader. He had a good relationship with his dad, similar to his mum, maybe shared some more common interests regarding sport and whatnot. He and Tom got their dad a present, watched a basketball match, ate food, I honestly have no idea what people usually do on Father's Day. Hey, maybe the reason he went to choose a lawnmower was because Tom had gotten him a voucher from the lawnmower place for Fathers Day! It wasn't shown much in the books, but do you think Jake really cared about what his dad thought of him in the way he was afraid of telling Tom about the ball team in book 1?

Rachel's parents are pretty interesting. Her dad saw her and her sisters only on weekends, so Fathers Day would be a pretty big thing. They would go out for dinner or something, maybe have a little time one on one at a gymnastics show (is that even a thing?) without the siblings. She is portrayed as more of a daddy's girl and he seems to give her more attention than the other 2, what with asking her to move states with him. It's funny, I'm good friends with someone with divorced parents and she is pretty much Rachel. Lives with her mum and sister, sees dad on weekends, she likes her dad more than her mum but that's a different story, is really tough - has a black belt in karate and will punch you without hesitating AND has a strong passion for shopping and expensive clothes. She's also blonde but sadly is not named Rachel. ~Maybe the tough exterior is Rachel's way of dealing with the divorce. I've actually never thought of it that way.

Uh, Marcos dad should be the one giving him presents since Marco took care of him for like 2 years. They probs did whatever normal peeps do on Father's Day, maybe played a video game for bonding time, visited Eva's grave (or would that be too depressing on Fathers Day?) Yeah I don't know what else to add.

Cassie is just Cassie. Good relationship with dad because of shoving-pills-into-animals bonding time.

Pretty much the same as Mother's Day with Ax- still alive, hasn't seen in a long time. Although he has a bit of pressure from his dad to avenge elfangors death, kill the Abomination blah blah. Do andalites celebrate these things? Probably not. Maybe a ritual for good health or something. I'm interested, do you think that Ax's parents had a favourite between Elfangors and Aximilli? You could view it in a couple of ways -
1. Elfangors is the eldest, first child, brave hero of war, prince, made them proud/ax is second child, always shadow of his brother, never going to live up to him
2. Or since there's quite an age gap between them, when Elfangor was at war they payed more attention to Ax growing up and were closer to him, youngest child never gets in trouble sort of thing
3. They love them both equally <3

This is probably the longest post I've ever made on here XD
If only I was this interested in Romeo and Juliet character analysis'.

Any thoughts? Maybe on other species in the series?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:45:22 AM by Quafikitivon »
Well, I'm the boss... Head Honcho. El Numero Uno. Mr. Big. The Godfather. Lord of the Rings. The Bourne... Identity. Er... Taxi Driver. Jaws. I forgot the question quite a while back. Who are you, again?