Author Topic: Yeerk Culture  (Read 1407 times)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
Yeerk Culture
« on: March 26, 2016, 08:36:25 PM »
Note: the creation of this topic was inspired by a conversation in the thread about Yeerks stealing hosts, although this is actually something I've been pondering for some time.

What are your opinions on Yeerk personality and culture?  Namely, what do you think typifies the Yeerk 'mindset' if there is one, and why are they that way?

I, personally, tend to see Yeerks as being very self-interested, at least on average (Visser Two is a rather notable exception).  They focus on their own survival first and foremost, everything (and everyone) else being secondary.  This leads to a lack of empathy for others, most notably other species.

I also tend to think that all of this is a perfectly reasonable reaction to the societal norms implied by their own biology.  Every Yeerk is an orphan.  Their parents are dead by the time they are born.  But that's okay, at least from an evolutionary perspective, because Yeerks don't really need parents when they're born.  They're surrounded by their own food, so they don't need a provider/caregiver to supply them with nourishment.  And while they may be helpless to defend themselves from threats, they're no more helpless than adult Yeerks are, so they don't really have any use for parental protection either.

Point being, Yeerk society had no reason to invent a replacement for the parent-child dynamic that most species have, so my guess is that they simply do not have an equivalent.  Even their siblings don't really have an opportunity to become close, because there are so many of them (again, there's exceptions here, but Aftran and Esplin are the only Yeerks we ever see mentioning their relations with their siblings, and only Aftran seems to have had a positive experience there).  The reason Yeerks focus on their own survival first and foremost, is because they've grown up knowing that nobody is there to take care of them if they don't.

This lack of a parent-child relationship, in turn, implies that all Yeerks grew up without knowing unconditional love (the function of unconditional love being primarily to foster the relationship between parent and child).  If you're a Yeerk, nobody is ever going to care about you just because you exist.  That, then, explains the lack of empathy.  Yeerks are conditioned not to care about anyone just for existing (and probably think it's a bit weird that other species do), which means they aren't going to be inclined to try to put themselves in another person's position unless they feel that person actively deserves that kind of attention.  This isn't to say that Yeerks can't care about others, it's just that that kind of respect needs to be earned, as it is never freely given.  Look at Aftran and Illim, they both have respect and empathy for humans, but in both cases, it took some action on the humans' part to earn that.

Lack of empathy then plays even more into the Yeerks' self-interested focus on survival (it's easier to place all your focus on yourself if you don't care about anybody else who hasn't earned it) and vice versa.

So what do you guys think?  I already know that at least one of you disagrees with this interpretation, and I'm hoping to hear more.

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
Re: Yeerk Culture
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 10:42:56 AM »

Good points here.

I'll cite Poparena and refer to the use of propaganda by Yeerks and Andalites in developing the way they do. If a Yeerk is self-interested, it's only because the "society" in which they love rewards ambition and accomplishment. Esplin was given a host because his knowledge of Andalites made him stick out and, more importantly, showed that he could be useful to the Empire. Otherwise, it's likely that he would have just continued floating around in the Yeerk pool. Hosts weren't exactly plentiful. Even when the invasion on Earth took place there weren't that many hosted Yeerks in the grand scheme of things. One can assume that the Yeerks caught on to this quickly: show your worth or remain irrelevant.

The Yeerks we do get insight into, Aftran, Esplin, Edriss, are only a few Yeerks. The latter two aren't exactly the best examples for empathy. Aftran did have fellow Yeerks she liked and felt things for, and was a prime example of a Yeerk raised on propaganda. I think in Visser, Edriss trains Yeerks on how to infest Gedds, and I THINK--don't quote me on it--a large part of that training is lack of empathy for the host. The belittling we see so many Yeerks do is probably something they were trained to do. Aftran comes to see that the Empire's way is not the right way.

We only see a handful of peace movement Yeerks. Everyone else is a Visser or Subvisser, or an ambitious Yeerk who wants to rise in the ranks. Perhaps the I hosted Yeerks are more empathetic to each other, given that they're all in the same irrelevant boat
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate