Author Topic: How big are Andalite torsos meant to be?  (Read 9782 times)

Offline JackP

How big are Andalite torsos meant to be?
« on: January 02, 2016, 08:02:19 AM »
I know the official artwork looks like this:

But stuff in the text says things like "from a distance he could be mistaken for a deer", and in the Gardens the girl thought Ax was a unicorn. Both of these would suggest that their bodies aren't much taller than a horses head, but the artwork goes for more the "alien centaur" approach.

Generally speaking, writers don't have a huge amount of say as to how the artists portray their work, I wonder if KA meant for them to look as the artwork depicts? Maybe something along the lines of this I found on google?

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
Re: How big are Andalite torsos meant to be?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 12:46:13 AM »
Ohh, interesting. So it's not just me that suspects this. Because, yeah, rereading the first several books, there's no mention of the centaur-like appearance with the humanoid torso until after book 8 had been released and we got our first artist's rendition of an Andalite. Fantastic find ^_^

Also, welcome to RAF!

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline Quaf

• Andre, the seventh animorph
  • Gold Donor
  • be excellent to each other and party on dudes
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 12:30:28 AM »
In book 1 Jake describes elfangor like this: "the creature had a head and shoulders and arms that were more or less where they should have been..... but below that he had fur covering a four legged body..." He doesn't mention a torso anywhere, neither does he compare him to centaur, only to a deer.

Later when Cassidy is morphing out of the horse she reminds him of elfangor, but there are no specific descriptions to tell us how big her torso was.

I think K.A. intended andalites to look like the pictures above (those are great), but after the book 8 artwork she stuck with that, because I feel like in the later books someone (Marco?) described ax as a centaur. That's probably my bad memory though :D

Time for a reread.
Well, I'm the boss... Head Honcho. El Numero Uno. Mr. Big. The Godfather. Lord of the Rings. The Bourne... Identity. Er... Taxi Driver. Jaws. I forgot the question quite a while back. Who are you, again?

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 12:09:32 PM »
In book 1 Jake describes elfangor like this: "the creature had a head and shoulders and arms that were more or less where they should have been..... but below that he had fur covering a four legged body..." He doesn't mention a torso anywhere, neither does he compare him to centaur, only to a deer.

"head and shoulders and arms that were more or less where they should have been"

Sorry to disagree with this theory, but I have always assumed that that meant humanoid proportions. That's just how it read to me.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 12:14:51 PM by CloakedFigure »

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 05:15:11 PM »
Yeah, I'm with Cloak.  The first words of Jake's description were "My first reaction was that someone had cloned a person and a deer together."  Which, to me, strongly implies a centaur-oid shape.  Also, the next paragraph mentions that Elfangor had to duck his head under the doorway, which those fan-art creatures don't really look capable of doing (on the other hand, that sentence in the book just brings up the question: why don't Andalite ships have doors big enough for Andalites?)

Also, how come none of the fan-arts have tail-blades?  I know that's mentioned in the initial description of Andalites (although I think it's referred to as a 'horn' or 'stinger' rather than a blade, but still, some form of tail-weapon is definitely present).  And some of the fan-arts' extra eyes don't even seem capable of independent movement, let alone anything like the typical Andalite stalk-eyes?  Again, that's canon from the get-go.

I do really like the artist's concept for the hooves, though.  And the fact that they all have a very 'herbivore' feel to them.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 06:11:34 PM »
And, as for the mistaken by deer thing, I have always taken it to mean the Andalites' lower bodies were more cervid than equine in their physiology. I could just as easily be mistaken though.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
I like that fanart, but others have already said what I was going to. The AC illustrator (not Mattingly) nailed it.
yeah

Warren

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 06:51:43 PM »
Yeah, I'm with Cloak.  The first words of Jake's description were "My first reaction was that someone had cloned a person and a deer together."  Which, to me, strongly implies a centaur-oid shape.  Also, the next paragraph mentions that Elfangor had to duck his head under the doorway, which those fan-art creatures don't really look capable of doing (on the other hand, that sentence in the book just brings up the question: why don't Andalite ships have doors big enough for Andalites?)

Also, how come none of the fan-arts have tail-blades?  I know that's mentioned in the initial description of Andalites (although I think it's referred to as a 'horn' or 'stinger' rather than a blade, but still, some form of tail-weapon is definitely present).  And some of the fan-arts' extra eyes don't even seem capable of independent movement, let alone anything like the typical Andalite stalk-eyes?  Again, that's canon from the get-go.

I do really like the artist's concept for the hooves, though.  And the fact that they all have a very 'herbivore' feel to them.

This was done for what a primitive andalite would look like and the art is by lackofa.  :)
https://www.deviantart.com/lackofa/art/Primitive-Andalite-concepts-422769562

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 11:02:53 AM »
Oh.  Thanks for the context.
yeah

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 03:42:42 PM »
I don't think there was much real hard canon in the early books. A lot of things were retconned, and one of them could have been the original idea of an Andalite looking less like a centaur with a muscular tail, and more like an alien deer with arms.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline AniDude89

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 12:43:16 AM »
How big?  Depends on the number of cinnamon buns they ingest.  :p

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2020, 01:42:18 PM »
The graphic novel straight up gives them a Clydesdale-like appearance, more horse than human but with deer-like hind legs. It's wild to look at. Visser Three looks (and because graphic novels are a visual medium, acts), weird as hell. I think the artist hasn't quite nailed drawing him. Elfangor is...Actually just fine. Perfect. Tobias and the kids look good, too.

Offline Green armadillo ette

• If at first you don't  succeed, redefine success.
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2020, 11:20:21 PM »
In the time that this was first posted, Michael Grant actually released an image of an Andalite from the Animorphs bible, though he defers to the more centaur like image created by the professional artist(s).

https://twitter.com/MichaelGrantBks/status/1119232020121415680
Last night, I laid back in my bed staring up at the stars, and I thought to myself ... I probably should fix that hole in my roof.