Author Topic: Do we really want an adaptation/general adaptation discussion  (Read 13678 times)

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: Do we really want an adaptation?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2015, 12:43:47 PM »
You'd get away with an adult cartoon more if it was Japanese anime. I think it would be cheaper if it was animated, but here in the states we believe animated=for kids for some reason.

Remember kiddies. If anyone brings up an animated classic called Fist of the North Star, don't go looking for it online expecting something geared towards 11 year olds.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2015, 01:54:29 PM »
Make it an independently-made webseries? It'd be hard to get the rights, though.

NFS: I'd expect a medium PG-13. Maybe an uncut version that's a little more violent.
yeah

Offline tigz

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2015, 02:25:33 PM »
You'd get away with an adult cartoon more if it was Japanese anime. I think it would be cheaper if it was animated, but here in the states we believe animated=for kids for some reason.

I think the general stereotype of "its animated so its for kids" is starting to dissipate thanks mainly to anime, especially if it would be online specific distribution.
if that was the case u also wouldn't need advert breaks (thats commercial breaks for the non UK) but you could embed ads for the extra cash. or do that hilarious product placement thing that some do where its just so blatently obvious. lol.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
Re: Do we really want an adaptation/general adaptation discussion
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 08:26:42 PM »
Freaking out about Animovie rumors released today. If the rumors are true, Deborah Forte is to produce.

The producer of the TV series.

God help us all.
yeah

Offline Dylan

• Jeremy Jason McCole's #1 Fan
  • Xtreme Member
  • Do you just hate trashcans?
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
Freaking out about Animovie rumors released today. If the rumors are true, Deborah Forte is to produce.

God help us all.

U SERIOUS???? SEND MEEEEE LINKS YEERKSALAD

And by Deborah Forte (who did the 90's show and goosebumps)????? I just pooped in horror after reading that.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 11:16:27 PM by Dpsb5 »
Waffles. Nuf' Said.
2015: Best Newcomer to RAF
2015: Most Insane Member

Offline poparena

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 10:38:30 PM »
You guys know it was never NOT going to be Deborah Forte as executive producer, right? She's the bigwig in charge of pretty much every single Scholastic film and television production. In any case, most of the TV show's failings fell on the writers side of things, about the only thing Forte could have done to improve show would have been to petition for a larger budget, which wasn't going to happen.
Winner, Best RAFproject 2011

THE OPINIONATED ANIMORPHS BOOK GUIDE

Offline donut

• Xtreme Member
  • Don't Blink
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 11:08:18 PM »
I guess you guys saw.  Someone just posted it on Facebook and I couldn't believe how close this thread started to the announcement, or the rumors at least. 

I'm now obligated to ask: are you a wizard?

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 01:47:27 AM »

God help us all.

Whom would you nominate in her place?

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 01:59:35 AM »
Guys, "produce" is a broad term, doesn't necessarily mean she'll be too hands-on.  For example people like Kathleen Kennedy running Lucasfilm, or Michael Bay at Platinum Dunes, are heavily involved in a direct sense, but a lot aren't.  Especially executive producers, like Stan Lee on the Marvel films, who have nothing whatsoever to do with them creatively or financially, it's a formality credit due to their connection to the business side of things.  I've never seen her name before so not familiar with her in the slightest, but it's a strong possibility she's just the one signing off on it to be explored, the suit/executive.

Her biggest movie on her resume, The Golden Compass, was actually pretty solid, liked that a lot for what it was.  But she's listed on imdb as one of ten producers on that, so I sort of get the sense she'll be more of an "executive producer", more than Lee with the Marvel stuff, sounds like she's directly responsible for "pushing/greenlighting" this, but I wouldn't put too much stock on her previous children's TV stuff as tone, this could go any number of ways.

Interesting, though.  And it's nothing new, Katherine & Michael announced a couple of years back that a number of studios were scouting and testing the waters with the idea.

I'm still skeptical about this though, both about it even happening (it's obviously still really really early stages, and a huge amount of movies get ditched early in the game before they actually get anywhere, go into pre-production), and whether if it does it's worth getting too excited about.

I didn't even know there was a Goosebumps movie coming out (or already came out?), so that might point toward this being a pretty low-budget under-the-radar affair.  I'd guess if it does get some money behind it and actually becomes a major production, we're probably looking more at something like The Maze Runner or Percy Jackson or whatever here, that sort of 'level' of film, I'd really doubt we'll be getting some huge Harry Potter-esque investment here.

And yeah, while Universal is promising, the Scholastic involvement should be interesting to see.  Katherine & Michael always sort of seemed like renegades of a sort at that company to me, their three late-90s series were pretty different in "feel' to all the other stuff Scholastic was publishing at the time for that age group.  So, I don't know.

If Katherine & Michael have any significant input, and Forte's just the moneywoman, and they get a director with some guts to push things beyond the generic young-adult-movie-adaptation vibe we've seen so much of recently, this could be a winner.  That's just a lot of "if"s, and seems a bit much to hope for.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 05:04:26 AM by NothingFromSomething »

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2015, 06:06:08 AM »
This has un-heart-attacked me.

I'm interested to see if KA and Michael get involved. Hoping that they somehow shift to TV, but any adaptation would be interesting to see.
yeah

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 02:42:15 AM »
Yeah, it'd be nice.  But just...don't get too hopeful, 90% of the time even when an author gets an "executive producer" or "story by" credit, they're not a actually involved in any manner of significance, it's more of a polite acknowledgement thing.

It'd be awesome to have them on-set, and meeting with the director in pre-production and stuff, but it so rarely happens.  There's no real incentive for the studio to do it, they're providing all the cash, they want to have final say even if it headbutts with the author's opinions.

Best thing to hope for would be a director who was familiar with/a fan of the books before ever signing onto the movie, not coming at it fresh.  Having an understanding of tone and "feel".  If that's the case, and if they're at a stage in their career where they have final-cut, studio interference is downplayed a lot.

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2015, 07:08:44 AM »
At least on Paper Towns, John Green (the author) was on set pretty much the entire time. I haven't actually seen the movie, though, so I'm not sure if it was a good adaptation.
yeah

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2015, 09:31:03 AM »
I think what'd bug me the most about an Animorphs adaptation, is you just know some suit somewhere is going to make the decision to age up the kids.  No way in hell are we ever getting 13 year olds fighting a war and dealing with combat trauma in anything mainstream. 

I didn't mind it so much in Ender's Game for whatever reason, but it's the same basic principle.  Animorphs'd just be changed pretty fundamentally, if you want to keep them the same ages you're going to get something really neutered & acceptable, none of the grit.

The whole point of the series is that they're child soldiers who are in way over their heads. If Ender's Game can do it, so can Animorphs....in fact Animorphs would be a hell of a lot less depressing. The only thing I could see them holding back on is the gore. KA could get pretty....graphic sometimes
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2015, 06:46:26 PM »
I'd be okay with it being a tad less graphic, but I still would want gore. Totally bloodless violence doesn't make sense, but super bloody violence isn't necessary.
yeah

Offline Dylan

• Jeremy Jason McCole's #1 Fan
  • Xtreme Member
  • Do you just hate trashcans?
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2015, 09:58:27 PM »
I'd be okay with it being a tad less graphic, but I still would want gore. Totally bloodless violence doesn't make sense, but super bloody violence isn't necessary.
I think the violence should be somewhat how Marvel does it.
Intense and Exciting, but not gory.
Waffles. Nuf' Said.
2015: Best Newcomer to RAF
2015: Most Insane Member