Author Topic: Animusic  (Read 11022 times)

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
Animusic
« on: August 18, 2015, 07:51:19 PM »
Sometimes I listen to stuff and think it'd work well with a certain moment in the series if it were adapted into another television show/movie. Do you guys feel the same way?

Take, for example, Broadchurch's main theme. Once it picks up, it makes me think of the end of #22. Imagine the camera slowly moving backwards as [spoiler]David screams, pleading to rejoin the Animorphs on his lonely little island.[/spoiler]
Crap.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:58:51 PM by YeerkSalad »
yeah

Offline Tim Bruening

Re: Animusic
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 07:55:55 PM »
Sometimes I listen to stuff and think it'd work well with a certain moment in the series if it were adapted into another television show/movie. Do you guys feel the same way?

Yes.  I have imagined star Trek crisis music playing during the cliamatic battle in Megamorphs 4, and music from Lois and Clark (A 1990s series about Superman) playing as Cassie the whale drops onto the Veelek at the end of Megamorphs 1.

guitarhero01234

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 11:09:27 PM »
We're In This Together by Nine Inch Nails is a huge Anisong for me. Both the instrumentation and lyrics really remind me of Tobias and Rachel, and [spoiler]the soft piano at the end of the song is just heartbreaking if you consider the final book.[/spoiler]

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 11:19:05 PM »
We're In This Together by Nine Inch Nails is a huge Anisong for me. Both the instrumentation and lyrics really remind me of Tobias and Rachel, and [spoiler]the soft piano at the end of the song is just heartbreaking if you consider the final book.[/spoiler]

PP 8-9 of "The Reaction" : Cassie has told her Mom that NIN is short for "Nice Is Neat", not "Nine Inch Nails".  Cassie had done that so that her Mom would buy her an NIN CD.  Cassie is worried that during the zoo tour, her Mom will reference "Nice Is Neat", which will so embarrass her that she will have to change schools.  It seems to me that there is another issue that Cassie has overlooked: When her Mom references the the rock group "Nice Is Neat", everyone will wonder what she is talking about.  The ensuring discussion would lead to Cassie's Mom learning that NIN means "Nine Inch Nails", at which point she will be mad at Cassie for lying to trick her into buying the CD.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 06:45:49 AM »
That's true, but is it really relevant to this discussion?
yeah

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 06:56:20 AM »
That's true, but is it really relevant to this discussion?

My post discussing Cassie and Nine Inch Nails was in response to a post that discussed Nine Inch Nails.  That seemed relevant enough to me!

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 07:11:22 AM »
Sorry. The first time I read it it seemed pointless and spammy, but in retrospect it was somewhat relevant.
yeah

guitarhero01234

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 11:30:12 AM »
Or Cassie's mom would just listen to "Closer" and learn what it's really like to "work with" animals.
I'm sorry that was awful

Offline Redtailednothlit

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 04:01:24 PM »
Volbeat - Room 24 makes me think of the Yeerk pool.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 04:21:05 PM »
Or Cassie's mom would just listen to "Closer" and learn what it's really like to "work with" animals.
I'm sorry that was awful
Just looked up the lyrics.

Well then.

I listened to We're In This Together. Industrial rock isn't my cup of tea, but I can kind of see where you're coming from.

Room 24 is... frankly, terrifying. I think it could work with the YP.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 04:36:39 PM by YeerkSalad »
yeah

Offline Dylan

• Jeremy Jason McCole's #1 Fan
  • Xtreme Member
  • Do you just hate trashcans?
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 05:25:17 PM »
I'm sorry that was awful
OOOOOOOOOH ew. :o

I imagine the soundtrack of animovie/tv show wouldn't that kind of hard rock you guys are talking about. I imagine it would have bit more softer/indie rock sound
Waffles. Nuf' Said.
2015: Best Newcomer to RAF
2015: Most Insane Member

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 06:38:53 PM »
I imagined it to be an orchestral thing - no lyrics, little/no electric guitars... but lots of epic.

Update: Sorry that I keep bringing up Broadchurch, but its music is just... well... *bawls* I'm not allowed to watch the show past season 1, and in fact my mom was uncomfortable with season 1 on its own, but I still love the crap out of it.
Anyway, Beth's Theme would fit REALLY well with [spoiler]Rachel's funeral.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 07:11:21 PM by YeerkSalad »
yeah

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 12:08:24 AM »
Dude, people who've read the books are going to grasp the NIN reference, no need to explain it all.

But yeah, pretty much anything off NIN's "The Fragile" for me.  Not even so much lyrically, but just the sonic vibe of the whole thing, sort of definitive of that 90s alt-rock feel.  Amazing album too, easily Trent's most complex and layered.  Heaviness, gentle piano melodies, crazy inventive synth stuff, it's just awesome.

Ah, Volbeat are awesome Redtail.  :)  Actually met 'em a while back at a dual Volbeat/Iced Earth show, really cool guys.

Other music I'm pretty sure I've thrown out there in old other threads, Bad Religion's "Come Join Us" is pretty much the perfect The Sharing song.   :D  It's just about cults and lock-step mentalities in general, but man it's so lyrically on-point.  Great melody too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCWPCiHJ8rk

Also The Offspring's album Ixnay On The Hombre, from '97.  Not so much directly addressing the same themes as the books, like the Bad Religion song, but musically it's probably for me the most "nostalgic" of albums in terms of perfectly capturing that pretty specific "sound" of rock bands from the mid-late 90s period the books were being published.  Likely it's the album they're supposed to be playing from in the concert scene with Jake/Marco where they're referenced, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER-m2zIMN5Y

Gah, music pretty much died in about '98/'99.  :(  Stupid this-decade-and-the-last-one with its stupidness, heh.

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

guitarhero01234

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 12:24:17 AM »
Holy **** man, you like some awesome music! This decade didn't totally suck though, you got a lot of bands putting out great stuff.

Aside from what I already posted, I had a discussion a long time ago about how Ghost of Perdition by Opeth has a lot of parallels with Marco and Visser One. There's also War by Devin Townsend for having similar messages to Animorphs.

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 12:53:08 AM »
Ah, Opeth.   :D  Depressing as hell but somehow make me happy.  Just like Type O Negative, haha.  Doomy & gloomy & ... soothing in their melodic sing-song-y craziness.

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.