Author Topic: Conceptual question  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Tom

Conceptual question
« on: July 20, 2015, 02:35:50 PM »
Hello Animorph Community,

New member here! I have a conceptual question I have been discussing with a friend and also Animorph fan- if someone is disabled, like they are blind or dyslexic, does this follow them when they morph into more creatures? Is this issue addressed in any books?

Thank you for any light you could shed on this issue,

Tom

Offline Tim Bruening

Re: Conceptual question
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 12:50:31 AM »
Hello Animorph Community,

New member here! I have a conceptual question I have been discussing with a friend and also Animorph fan- if someone is disabled, like they are blind or dyslexic, does this follow them when they morph into more creatures? Is this issue addressed in any books?

Thank you for any light you could shed on this issue,

Tom

You will be glad to know that a blind person is able to see while in morph.  Physically disabled persons have normal movements while in morph.  Better yet, if the disabling injury was externally inflicted, it is no longer present when one demorphs.  However, birth defects don't get healed in that manner.  I don't know if dyslexia would be healed by morphing.

Offline donut

• Xtreme Member
  • Don't Blink
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 01:11:28 AM »
The books are a little contradictory on conditions existing before someone gets the morphing ability.  Sometimes they are healed, sometimes they aren't by morphing.  Those conditions shouldn't follow them into the morph though.

Dyslexia is trickier.  That's a mental disability.  I don't think morphing ever affected someone's mind in the books.  Other than deep emotional scars.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 07:21:40 AM »
Blindness wouldn't be an issue, but I highly doubt something like dyslexia would go away after morphing. Although if you're dyslexic and morph someone who isn't, would you be able to read normally while in morph? I'm honestly not sure
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline tigz

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 08:54:31 AM »
Blindness wouldn't be an issue, but I highly doubt something like dyslexia would go away after morphing. Although if you're dyslexic and morph someone who isn't, would you be able to read normally while in morph? I'm honestly not sure

since dyslexia is currently presumed to be a genetic trait altering the way the brain interprets and configures word patterns i would assume it would not be "corrected" upon de-morphing.
morphing someone without dyslexia would also not "correct" the ability as reading is not an instinctual skill that would transfer with the morph and the ability to read while in morph would come from the mind of the morpher not the morphee. Clarified =D

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 01:53:47 PM »

since dyslexia is currently presumed to be a genetic trait altering the way the brain interprets and configures word patterns i would assume it would not be "corrected" upon de-morphing.
morphing someone without dyslexia would also not "correct" the ability as reading is not an instinctual skill that would transfer with the morph and the ability to read while in morph would come from the mind of the morpher not the morphee. Clarified =D

I'm assuming that morphing and demorphing wouldn't correct autism either, which is sad given the autism explosion of recent decades.

Offline Redtailednothlit

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 02:12:23 PM »
Blindness would be cured - see Loren.

Dyslexia I would assume not. The ability to read would come from the person who morphed - case in point: Tobias can read, whereas a hawk can't. The ability to read comes from his human mind.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 04:38:53 PM »
Blindness would only be cured if it was the result of an injury, not a genetic condition. Loren was cured of her blindness, but they recruit an extra Auxilary at the end of #50 who is a blind girl and she's still blind after being given the morphing power.

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 01:31:00 AM »
Assuming that a person with dementia could focus well enough to morph, would the morphing cure the dementia?

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 04:52:16 AM »
It's a mental issue and also genetic, so again it probably wouldn't help. Unless they were brain damaged from some kind of injury.

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 06:00:35 PM »
I am left-handed.  If I were to morph a RIGHT-Handed person, would I in that morph be left-handed or right-handed?