Author Topic: The Resolution Chronicles Part 3  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Almighty Queen

• Banned
The Resolution Chronicles Part 3
« on: June 04, 2008, 02:03:15 PM »
Well I might as well finish it up right here.

Chapter 24

Derrick brought over Dad’s wheelchair. Dad was able to put himself in the chair without any help. He did give Derrick this dirty look though. Derrick bolted away to the other side of the room and halfway hid behind a wall. Daddy was NOT playing around with him. I’m sure he wasn’t a fan of this psychic arrangement in the first place.

“So, Mr. B., What are we supposed to do?” Tanya asked.

“That’s a good question. I wish I had a good answer for you all. Other than Rae, all of your psychic powers are too defensive to be used in combat, and I would NEVER think about sending my daughter into harms way.” He narrowed his eyes at Derrick.

“Then what are we supposed to do Dad, sit around and wait until you say it’s safe? We DO have an Andalite to watch over while we’re here.” I folded my arms over each other.

“Listen, you all have taken it as far as I feel comfortable in letting you all go. What would I tell your parents? That I let you get yourselves nearly killed trying to save Rae’s Mom? Trust me, war is not something you want to rush into. Ever.”

After Dad’s mini-speech, we were all pretty much silent. Until Jon’s eyes went wide, like he was remembering something important.

“Kel!” he yelled. “We left Kel downstairs! They’re not going to keep in the hotel for long!”

“You left an Andalite, by himself, in a human hotel? Are you just asking for trouble? Look, look. I’ll fix myself up here. You go find your Andalite friend. Rae, bring him up here. I’m assuming he’s how you all got here, with his ship.” I nodded and backed out the way. None of this made any sense to me. How was it that Dad was drinking again? He swore off the stuff when I was two. Were things really that bad with Mom and Uncle Marco that he had to throw his sobriety away?

I was about to find out.

Downstairs, there was still a commotion. Kel demorphed, but was surrounded by security guards and his hooves were slipping in the remnants of the ice cream cones He was trying to explain that he was not a misbehaving alien, but a good and trustworthy Andalite.

He saw me throughout all of the traffic and pointed.

(There! That’s the human who is my leader! Princess Rachel!)

I stopped and swing my head around. Other Andalite guards were restraining the poor Andalite, and they had his tail down on the ground.

“Please, Please, this is torture. Let him go. He is with me.” I shoved my way over through all the excited onlookers.

(And you are?) One of the guards said.

“Rachel Berenson. Gosh, what is it with everyone wanting to know who I am today?”

The Andalite ignored my rant and released Kel into my custody.

(Oh boy, Princess Rachel, that was quite the experience. The flavors of the Ghirardelli chocolate ice cream sent my mind into overdrive-)

Wow, Andalites sure liked their food.

Even during times like this.

“Um, Kel, that’s great, but right now I need you to focus. We need to go upstairs, where my Dad and I are working out a plan to save my Mom and Uncle Marco.”

(As you wish, Princess Rachel).

Unforced loyalty? Now THIS I could get used to.

Kel and I took the elevator back up to Dad’s room, where I guess he was entertaining them with war stories.

“Oh, there you two are.”

(Is this THE Jake, THE Prince Jake?)

“Yes, but-“

(Prince Jake, my name is Kelmiter-Pafriss-Extaran. To be in your presence, it is an honor. Any way I can be of service, please let me know.)

“Uh, sure…the first thing you can do is have a seat while I instruct you guys about what you’ll be facing. I don’t want to send you up there but I have no choice. They are keeping Cassie and Marco in a heavily guarded sensory deprived room. So far, no one has come up with any way to penetrate the barriers set up by the Yeerks.”

“Mr. B, uh, sir. How could our powers help?” Derrick was very nervous as he spoke.

“Your powers aren’t very offensive, and Rae, how long can you hold your freezes?”

“Not very long Dad, a couple minutes, maybe.”

He ruffled his hands through his hair. “We’ll need a rescue squad to get both of them out of there. Problem is, you kids never had any military training, and you’d be fighting grown Xenowarriors. I’ll have to think about our other options”

“Dad, why don’t you just leave us in the spaceship with a video camera, so we can see what’s going on, and if we need to, we can turn back time or put the freeze on.”

He snapped his fingers.
“Perfect.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The ride to the Pentagon was a short one. The only problems they had at the entrance were with Kel; they didn’t exactly feel comfortable with a young Andalite walking around with no orders in particular. But what Dad said, went. The soldiers immediately perked up when he rolled through the corridors.

It must feel nice to get all of this attention…

Finally, he came down a hallway and into a room where many generals and admirals were sitting around a conference table.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, pardon me for having to step away from the situation for a moment. I have now found what is going to defeat the rebel Yeerks.

He pointed to us.

“These kids,”

Everyone in the room looked a bit skeptical. And incredulous.

Me? I was just intimidated by the stars on their shoulders.

But Dad presented our case.

“Listen, these kids, they have…powers. Amazing, extraordinary powers. If you allow them to demonstrate.”

Dad winked at me. I motioned for everyone to form a circle. We all closed our eyes and then there was this glow coming from the middle of the circle.

I could see Mom, strapped to a wall, begging for them to stop pushing Uncle Marco’s head into a tub of water while his head was covered by a hood.

WHOA.

“Okay, that’s enough kids.” Dad signaled to me to stop.

We dropped hands.

“Well, that’s impressive Mr. Berenson, but how can this help us other than give us a window into what’s currently going on in that ship?”

“That’s not the only gift they possess. Rae, are you ready?”

I nodded. I think I could selectively freeze my friends for all of the military people.

I blinked at them.

They stopped in a perfect state of suspended animation.

“Now can that help you?” Dad asked, beaming with pride (though I still think he was a little bit drunk)

The Generals and Admirals were flabbergasted.

“How is she doing that? It must be a magic trick!” One yelled from down the table.

“Oh there are no tricks here. It’s just my daughter and her special powers.”

Even though it was a cool power, I couldn’t hold them like that forever. I blinked again to release them.

“RAE! What was up with that? Let us know before you go off freezing us!” Becky yelled.

“Well sorrrrry,” I said smartly back to her.

“Ladies, ladies,” Dad came in between us. “This is not the time or place,”

I rolled my eyes. So did Becky

“Anyway sirs and madams, I was thinking with their skills, we could send a rescue squad to outer space, see into the future with their powers, and stop time when necessary with my daughter’s own special gifts.”

He placed a hand on my shoulder.

“Well, now that I’ve seen what they can do, we’d be fools not to let them help in some capacity. Williams, go give the orders to the rest of the Xenowarriors based out of D.C. We’re going to take these traitors out. Berenson, how close do these kids need to be to exercise their powers?”

“I’d recommend taking them in the same ship that the Xenowarriors dock in. It seems like their power has a limited range.”

“Well the more we sit and talk about it the more time we waste, the longer Cassie and Marco are in peril. Let’s commence the operation immediately.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few hours later we were sitting in a large spaceship, in mini-spacesuits the Xenowarfare program used. Dad was there giving us our final instructions.

“You all are to be used for recon only through your power, and Rae, use your freezes. Otherwise, do NOT get off this spaceship. There is a very strong likelihood you will be killed.”

He put a hand on my shoulder.

“Does everyone understand?”

We nodded our heads.

“Good,”

Dad pulled me aside from the others.

“We’re taking a big risk here, Rachel. The selfish part of me doesn’t want to send my oldest child up there to fight. But if there’s no other way to save your mother, what has to be done has to be done.”

He gave me an embarrassing hug. “Bring everyone back safely,”

Then he rolled out of the ship.

It really hit me.

This was starting to get deadly serious.

Derrick noticed that I was out of sorts a bit and came over to me.

“Everything all right?” he asked.

“Yeah,” I lied.

“You don’t have to lie to me Rae, I was just as freaked out at what they were doing to your Mom and Marco as everyone else was.”

I gripped his hand.

“We’ll I just want them back, alive.”

He gave me a hug.

“We’ll get them,”

But I wasn’t sure if he even believed it himself, because he was trembling.

We took our seats in the ship as one of the Generals explained to the crew what the mission was. Derrick sat next to me and held my hand. I smiled.

BOOM!! I could hear the engine roar as we started to take off. This ship had the sickening effects of G-Force, something that Kel’s ship did not have. I thought I was going to puke. Out of my window, I could see the ground get farther and farther away, until we were out of Earth’s atmosphere totally.

The Earth looked like it did one some of those posters at school. A big blue marble.

Gorgeous.

I focused my attention back on my friends. Some of them looked like they were going to barf any second now, especially Derrick.

Please don’t let him throw up on my lap.

Thankfully, we got high enough up so that we could get out of the seats. Unfortunately, this was not a Zero-G flight. The artificial gravity machines whirred softly in the background.

“Ah, good, you’re all here and feeling relatively fine. Come to the front, we’re almost to the Blade Ship.”

I looked upon it. It was ominous.

And scary.

Mom, hold on, I’m coming.

I could feel us slow down, and start to hover under the ship.

“Attention on deck!” The General yelled

All the soldiers stood at attention.

“AS you know, we have a few traitors amongst us. They have kidnapped two of your fellow freedom fighters, Marco Jones and Cassie Berenson. You must go in and rescue them. While minimizing casualties and capturing the rebels that are holding Jones and Berenson hostage. Is that understood?”

“SIR, YES SIR!!” All 40 or so of them collectively yelled.

“Battle morphs, ready!” he yelled again.

The men started to shift and change until I saw a lot of tigers, jaguars, lions, gorillas, and wolves sitting and waiting on the floor.

I felt another jolt from above.

We must be docked with them.

All of the animals ran upstairs to the docking bay.

The general turned to us again.

“I want you kids to use that power of yours. Show me in the future what’s going to happen.”

We got together in a circle and held hands.

Instantly, we saw slaughtered animals everywhere.

Mom…Uncle Marco…

They were on the ground too.

And they weren’t breathing.
What's Your Flava? - Craig David

Offline Almighty Queen

• Banned
Re: The Resolution Chronicles Part 3
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 01:43:04 PM »
Chapter 25

(Rae)

“Look, we have to stop this.”

I broke the circle and I ran up to the general.

“Get your men out of there, they’ll never make it out alive.” I told him.

The General wagged a big, stubby finger at me.

“That’s not your decision to make, little girl. Our soldiers know that there have to be sacrifices made in order to-“

“But our vision, we just saw my Mom and Uncle Marco dead too! You know you can’t let them die!”

The general twisted his face up, I know he didn’t like what I was saying to him.

“Ok kid, what do you propose, to do.” He wiped the sweat off of his face with his hand.

“We have to turn back time.”

The general laughed. “Hahaha. There’s no way you kids can turn back time far enough to stop them from getting kidnapped…”

We all just gave him a stare.

“Is there?” he looked flabbergasted.

“Just watch” We grabbed hands again. “I have the perfect time in mind”

First the room started to spin around. Slowly at first, like a top, but then it went faster and faster and faster. It felt like we were ripping time itself apart. Little pulses of light started to streak around us…and it started to feel really hot. Hotter than a day at the beach.

Suddenly, we were gone off of the spaccship!

And to another place…

When the room finally stopped spinning, we got our bearings and looked around. The place we were at was barren, military-like.

What are we doing here? Where are we?

At first the voices were dim, but as we came into existence during this period of time, the voices became louder.

“How’s everything going, tennis champ?”

“Tennis Champ? Did you know about this beforehand? Dad!”

“Hey baby. Ignore him. You look wonderful.”

“Wow, I didn’t expect to hear from you guys so soon, I was pretty sure that the government would hide you guys forever.”

“Oh don’t worry, they’re doing that, but we just needed to check in and see how our babies were doing.”

“Mom, I’m not a baby. I’m almost thirteen! A teenager!”

“Rae…” “Well, anyway, where’s the rest of the gang?”

“Oh, Grandma and Grandpa are upstairs giving Tommy and Melissa baths.”

“Well, we’ll give you guys a call another time. Just remember that we love you.”

“I love you guys too…be safe…. what ever you’re doing.”

“How did she become such a piece of work so fast?”

I remembered this conversation! It was the last one I had with my parents before Mom and Uncle Marco got kidnapped!

I looked around. Mom and Dad were staring at the blank screen. My friends were still similarly disoriented. No way was I just talking to my parents while another “me” was standing here!

Well you do know the hazards of time travel…

“Mom, Dad?” I sort of screamed from across the room. They turned around with a shock.

“Rachel?! How can you be here! We were just talking to you back home!”

“Well, let’s just say it’s complicated. Really complicated.” I tried to explain

“How do we know it’s really you?” Dad said with a frown. Dad was skeptical about this, me being here.

“Mom, remember the top step on the stairs in the house. No one can ever fix it right and I always trip over it!” I pointed out. “Who else would know about that?”

Mom and Dad shared glances. It looked like they believed me. Yes! “Ellimist?” She finally asked.

“No, the Precognitics!” Jon said with pride. Everyone ignored him though.

“Um, Rachel, what is HE doing in the group?” Dad pointed at Derrick.

“Do we really need to get into that?” I started to moan.

“Yes” Dad said

“It’s ok Mr. B., I understand” Derrick bowed his head.

“We came from the future to tell you something very important. Mom, you cannot go into space today.” I flatly said.

“Why not” Dad asked.

“You will be kidnapped, tortured, and killed.” Becky blurted out.

And Dad, you’ll fall off of the wagon.

They both looked shocked.

“No offense Mr. and Mrs. B, but do we look like we’re joking around?” Tanya said respectfully.

I then realized we were still wearing the ugly outfits the Army gave us.

“So, how are we supposedly kidnapped?” Mom said.

“All they know in our world is that it’s an inside job. Apparently the people that you trust the most will be the ones to betray you and capture you.”

Dad looked confused for a second. Then it appeared as though a light clicked on in his head. “Nathan, Shawn, Michael, Wayne”.

Mom shook her head. “No way they would betray us Jake. They were your first Xenowarfare students-kids, look out!” She screamed and pointed down the hall.

We turned around and saw 4 soldiers preparing to take out some sort of weapon from their holsters.

“Go hide in our quarters!” Mom and Dad said. Since we were situated closer to their living quarters than to the four soldiers trying to kill us, we RAN down the hallway as fast as we could.

Then I heard Mom and Dad morphing and Dracon Beams flying everywhere. I could hear a tiger’s roar and a wolf’s bark as they started to battle the soldiers.

There was some cursing, and more roaring as the soldiers went up against Mom and Dad. I couldn’t tell who was winning,

ROAR! Tseww! Tseww!

Then we heard automatic gunfire. BAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMB AMBAM.

Everything stopped.

“What do you think happened Rae?” Tanya asked, her voice full of fear.

“I don’t know, but I have to find out. They’re my parents, past timeline or not.”

I decided to peek out of the crack in the door. I got the shock of my life as I looked down the hall.

Those four soldiers were dead, covered in dark red blood. Mom and Dad were also covered in blood, but they were in the process of demorphing. A big burly soldier helped him back into his wheelchair. There were more regular soldiers with guns pointed at the dead guys.

I stepped out of their room and into the lounge where all the commotion had taken place. Immediately Mom and Dad ran over to me and started to hug me, after they demorphed.

I wanted to puke. This whole scene was making me sick.

They were right, war IS hell.

Then a shock came to Mom’s eyes. It seemed like she was remembering something.

“There are two of you in this timeline. You have to go back. Get your friends and tell them, otherwise your existence could be destroyed,”

I nodded solemly.

I knew what I had to do.

Sullenly, I went back over to my parents’ sleeping quarters and told everyone else what was going on. We grabbed hands and that familiar dizzy feeling overtook everyone. The room started spinning around and around and around. Pulses of light wrapped around us. So did the heat. Then we were gone.

(Esplin)

Ah, we had them. There was nothing that anyone could do about it. I gazed out at the stars from the bridge of the Blade Ship. Edriss was proud of me, I know she was. I hadn’t screwed this one up at all.

Speaking of Edriss, she was coming up to the bridge. It seemed she had a message for me.

“We’ve waterboarded both Cassie and Marco, but they have yet to divulge any information.”

“Well maybe I should pay them a personal visit. You know how effective I can be against the humans.”

“Not really, I was the one who lived among them for all of those years.”

I rolled my eyes. Did she really have to point out every single technicality?

“Let’s just go visit the humans, shall we?” I said.

“We’re not going to talk about what happened the other night?” Edriss inquired

“There is nothing to talk about.” I said succinctly.

“So you’re just going to sit here and pretend like it never happened. Why do I bother?”

She stalked off ahead of me towards the East Bay, where the ones they call Cassie and Marco were being held.

We walked the rest of the way in silence. Perhaps it was because she felt the human emotion of ‘anger’ from being with me. Well, you know, that was okay. She made me feel angry most of the time as well. The power she exhibited over others. Her sense of control of situations. It all, shall we say, pissed me off, but that’s what kept me coming back to her…

Finally, we arrived at East Bay. The waterboarding table was empty.

I decided to play ‘nice’

“Hi Marco and Cassie”

I heard silence from their cells.

“You know, I’ve been waiting a long time to finally meet you both, up close and personal.”

“We’ll never tell you anything, Yeerk scum.” A male’s voice said, weakly. I assumed it to be Marco.

“Well, well, it looks like someone has an opinion.” I made my way over to his cell and peeked inside.

The soldiers had done a good job on him. There were bruises everywhere on his body, and both his eyes were swollen shut. It didn’t look like he could move exceptionally well.

However, the man was full of surprises.

As I opened up the door to his cell, something warm and sticky landed right onto my face.

Marco had spit on me!

“Oh, you’ll pay for that you little stinking TERRAN” The human in me wanted to beat him up more.

The Yeerk in me controlled the human’s urges, oh, I had a lot in store for this human.

“Oh no! NO! PLEASE! NO!” I could hear the other one scream. Cassie. My hate for that one was pretty strong as well. After all, she married Jake.

Edriss was preparing to waterboard her again when the emergency lights went on.

We heard screams of animals and looked towards the entrance.

Lions, tigers, wolves, and bears came to rush the entrance.

Edriss dropped Cassie and pulled out her hand-held Dracon. She started firing away at the animals. Most likely Xenowarriors.

“What are you standing there for Esplin? They’re going to kill us! Do something!”

I pulled out my Dracon Beam and started to target random animals as well. But it was of no use. There were too many of them.

“THIS ISN”T GOING TO WORK, EDRISS!” I yelled

As soon as I got the words out of my mouth, everything went black. Pitch black.

I tried to look at myself, but I couldn’t see my human host. Or Edriss.

What in the universe?

I wanted to call out to her, to make sure she was okay, but it was almost like we didn’t exist.

Finally, we were dropped back into the East Bay.

But there were no animals.

Or Cassie.

Or Marco.

“Wha, what just happened?” I demanded of Edriss.

“I don’t know! One minute we were being overrun by animals, the next, I’m alone here with you!”

I picked myself up and did a thorough examination of the East Bay. There were no traces of those Terrans anywhere.

Then something worse happened.

INCOMING, INCOMING, 1 MINUTE UNTIL IMACPT. The loudspeakers blared.

What? Something was coming for us?

“Edriss, did you hear that? Someone is shooting at us!”

“I know that, help me find a shield or something to deflect the missile, or we’re dead!”

I went over to the all-too-familiar dials and controls. Nothing was working.

I tried in vain to pilot the ship away from its current position. But that didn’t work either, the controls were stalled.

30 SECONDS UNTIL IMPACT.

“Edriss….it’s no use. This is it.”

“Esplin, there’s something I have to tell you,” she turned around to face me.

“Yes, there’s something I have to tell you too.”

“I love you,” we both blurted out at the same time.

10, 9, 8, 7…

I pulled Edriss into an embrace. As soon as our lips touched, I could feel the impact of the missile on the ship.

And then everything went white.

Offline Almighty Queen

• Banned
Re: The Resolution Chronicles Part 3
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 08:41:21 PM »
Chapter 26

Same Disclaimer applies

As we were twisting away in the bright lights, I pondered what we just did.

We were responsible for killing four people and changing the past. Who knows what effect that would have on our future?

Would we be sent to a post apocalyptic world like last time? Or maybe, just maybe, what we did had no effect on anything and we would end up just like we started, on the spaceship with the General.

Slowly, we stopped spinning. Jon leaned over and started to hurl.

“Sorry guys, I have motion sickness,” he tried to explain.

“It’s ok Jon, It looks like we’re in the perfect place for that…” I started to say as I looked around. There were excessively bright lights and the empty room we were in was decked out in white. We could see people in lab coats and scrubs were running every which way while we were surrounded by unused medical equipment.

(Where are we?) Kel asked with wonder as he started to morph.

“This, this is a hospital. Where sick and injured humans go to get better,” I answered ,“But why are we here?”

“We obviously changed something in the past Rae. We all saw it. Maybe this place has something to do with the consequences of that change.” Jon pointed out.

Just like that, an orderly and hospital security guard opened the door and came up to me.

“Are you Rachel Berenson?”

I nodded my head.

“Everyone has been looking for you. It was like you disappeared for a good while there.”

“Well, sorta-”

“Who are they?” The security guard pointed his baton at my friends. Luckily, Kel had turned himself into a human so that we wouldn’t attract any more attention.

“Oh, these are my friends.”

“Well, come on. Your father needs you, especially during a time like this,”

I looked up at the rent-a-cop. His silly brown and black uniform was ill-fitting, like he still needed time to grow into it. He barely had whiskers on his face.

Why should I care about what you think?

“As it is, I need to take you to your father. We’ll figure out how to get your friends home. They’ll need to wait in the security office.”

I waved goodbye to them as I was escorted down the hall and into an elevator. My friends went who knows where.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“Oh, to the ICU, the intensive care unit.”

INTENSIVE CARE!

And they hadn’t said a word about Mom at all.

What if-?

No Rae, you can’t think like that!

Finally, we got to the right floor and the elevator doors squeaked open. I looked down the hall and saw a very forlorn-looking Dad sitting near the entrance to a room in his wheelchair.

I ran down the hall.

“DAD!” I screamed

A nurse turned around to shush me, but I fell into his arms.

“Rae! You’re safe! We didn’t know what happened after you left us in the barracks…we hoped you find your way here…”

“Our powers brought us here Dad.”

He nodded his head.

“Where are all the generals? Do they know we made it back to Earth safely?”

Dad looked puzzled.

“What generals?”

“You know, the generals that took us up to the Blade Ship in their spaceship?”

He just blinked at me.

“Rachel, maybe you need to sit down for a second. Time travel works in mysterious ways. None of that ever happened in this reality. After Nathan, Shawn, Michael, and Wayne were killed, and before you guys came here…your mother and I told the government of their treason. They found out the Blade Ship had re-entered the dark side of the moon and they sent a missile to take it out.”

“So that means Mom and Uncle Marco were never kidnapped and tortured.”

“No, and this also means that you changed the future by changing the past, so whatever happened to them no longer exists in this timeline.”

I breathed a sigh of relief.

Dad, you never got drunk…

Then I got curious.

“So, where’s Mom?”

Dad sighed.

“Rachel, there were, some…complications…after your mom and I…after we stopped fighting. Your Mom…she was” Dad looked like he was about to burst into tears. Already his eyes were bloodshot. “Your Mom was pregnant.”

PREGNANT? Well that explains everything…

“About 3 months. But the morphing, and the fighting, it was very hard on her. Almost immediately after we told the government everything we knew, she started having pains. We rushed her to the hospital but it was too late. They said she lost the baby but she’ll be okay.” Dad shook his head and the tears started to pour down his cheeks. “I’ll never understand. Our family has been through so much. Maybe it was the universe’s way of evening things out.”

I could feel something hot and wet on my face too. My tears.

“No Dad, No! It’s not fair!”

He brought me in for another embrace.

“Shh, Rachel, believe it or not, we’ll all get through this. We will.”

I wiped some tears away from my eyes. “Can I see her?”

He nodded his head. “She’s been looking forward to seeing you.”

Dad took my hand and we rolled/walked into her room.

Mom looked haggard. There was an IV coming out of her arm and her eyes were halfway shut.

“They have her on some pretty good painkillers, but you can talk to her. She’s still awake. ”

I went over to her and gave her a hug.

“Mom,” I whispered.

“Hey baby,” she said softly. “I was so worried about you when you disappeared”

“Well I made it here. I’m so sorry Mommy.”

“Shh, honey, it’s not your fault. You did some heroic things to save us.”

I paused for a second.

“Wait, you remember, about the torture, and the alternate timeline?”

“All of it. I’m sub-temporally grounded, remember?”

I nodded.

“I just care that my babies are safe, each and every one of you.”

She stroked my cheek.

“I still can’t believe my baby, the wildcard,” Mom sounded like she was getting woozy.

WILDCARD.

“Maybe we should give your mother some space.” Dad took me to a secluded area of her room.

“I should call my parents. Knowing you, they probably don’t know you’re here.,.” Dad took his cell phone out of his pocket. “Darn, no service!”

“This IS a hospital Jake,” Mom managed to mumble loudly from the bed.

“You’re right, I’ll use the payphone, honey.” Dad shook his head and rolled out of the room.

I just pushed my chair closer to Mom’s bed. I didn’t want to be away from her, not for one second. I feared that I would be taken out of this reality. So I held her hand.

Yeah, we definitely had a bond. One that neither time nor space nor crazy evil overlords could break.

Dad came back a few minutes later.

“I told your grandparents, they said you escaped from our museum?? Rachel, are you not aware that you’re still on punishment?”

“But I saved the world!”

“That’s not the point! Well maybe it is, but anyway. You’re grounded for two more weeks.”

Two weeks! That meant that I couldn’t go to the winter dance!

Dad wasn’t fair. I saved the world and this was the thanks that I got.

“Uh, Mr. Berenson. I found these kids out in the hallway, they said they were with your daughter…I was going to take them to the security office, but I figured you might have a better idea of what to do with them.”

“They’re a long way from home. Just leave them here with me. I’ll take care of them.” Dad motioned for them to come over to where we were.

My friends looked back and forth at each other, petrified. I guess being around Dad did not make them all warm and fuzzy inside.

“How long are they going to keep Mom here?” I asked, somewhat changing the subject.

“Only for tonight, they want to keep her for observation, to make sure she’s okay. I’m staying at The Washington Hotel. It’s the Presidential suite, so there will be plenty of room for you and your friends.”

The Washington. Oh did I have a story to tell him about the alternate reality in that place.

“Honey, it’s 6 o clock. Visiting hours are over. I’ll check in with you tomorrow.” Dad rolled over to Mom and gave her a quick peck. Then she turned over and went to sleep.

Feel better Mom. Especially after everything you’ve been through.

That night, Dad took us over to The Washington. Oddly, there were no problems with the front desk staff this time around.

“Okay, guys in one room, girls in the other.” Dad ordered, eyeballing Derrick the entire time.

“Mr. B. can I just say something?”

Dad turned around and paused in his wheelchair, ready to listen.

“I like your daughter. But I would never do anything to disrespect her. Ever. All I care about is her happiness, and if you truly don’t want me to be around her, I understand. I just want Rae to be happy.”

Dad looked shocked. Then he softened his stance

“Well young man, I will have to talk to your parents before you and Rae can start seeing each other. I just want to make sure you are as sincere as you say you are.”

He rolled away to his bedroom.

“So I guess that means we can be together, huh?” Derrick asked with a twinkle in his eye.

I reached for and squeezed his hands.

“Hopefully,”

“OOOOOOO” Tanya and Becky both said.

“Yeah, yeah, guys.” I couldn’t help but hide my grin.

Dad’s not being an ogre. We really must have done a number on the world!

The next day we all took a spaceship back home. There was a large crowd waiting for us. Reporters and news vans were milling about everywhere.

“Mr. Berenson, what exactly happened in Washington? And why is your daughter involved?”

“No comments until the press conference.” Dad said sternly.

I saw Grandma and Grandpa, Mom-Mom and Pop-Pop. They were standing next to a few cops, with Tommy and Melissa in tow. When I walked off the spaceship, they ran over to me. A few minutes of Rae-getting-the-life-squeezed-out-of-her happened.

“Oh Rae, we were SO worried after you disappeared from the museum. Don’t ever scare us like that again, okay?” Grandma touched my chin.

“I promise,” I fell into her hug.

Mom-Mom and Pop-Pop made their way over to Mom and helped her down the spaceship ramp. I guess they heard the bad news last night, because they didn’t look happy. We got escorted to a limousine that was waiting for us and it took us to the museum, where the press conference was going to be held.

Oh joy, the perks of being a mini-celebrity.

Mom sensed that I was nervous and she patted the seat next to her. I made my way to the back and sat next to her.

“Don’t worry, I hate press conferences too, believe it or not.”

I broke out into a small smile.

“I’m glad to have you here, Mom. I’m glad we saved you.”

She kissed my head.

“I’m glad you did too. I’m glad you did too.”

“So we stopped the alien threat and were able to neutralize their most dangerous asset, the Blade Ship. Any more questions?”

Mom and Dad were conducting a press conference, and gee, people had so many questions about the aliens. It seemed like we were sitting there for hours listening to them answer the same questions over and over again.

“How did you come across the alien conspiracy, Mr. Berenson?” one reporter asked.

Dad chuckled

“Let’s just say I had some unexpected help on that one.”

“What do you mean by unexpected help?” the reporters were confused.

Dad looked out at the audience and winked at me.

“Sometimes the best plans are the surprise ones. And that’s all I can say without releasing classified material.”

Everyone in the room started to laugh.

After all of this, Dad still thought I was special enough to protect.

Just one question, where was Uncle Marco?

“We were wondering Mr. and Mrs. Berenson, what did happen to Marco?’

“Oh, I can answer that.”

We looked to the side of the room. Uncle Marco came in, looking disheveled.

“You see, I was actually supposed to be there, but I overslept. You can’t underestimate the power of the lovely ladies. It seems that I missed all of the commotion.”

The whole room laughed again. Uncle Marco came up to the podium and kissed Mom on the cheek, and shook hands with Dad.

“I wish I hadn’t, boy, I missed one hell of a battle-”

“Thank you, Marco,” Mom held up a hand. “Now, does anyone else have any more questions?”

The press corps was silent.

“Then our representatives will contact you with any additional information. Thank you so very much for your time.”

The room started buzzing and the cops let me on stage to give my parents more hugs. Some photographers were taking pictures of us.

“What’s going to happen now Mom?”

“Home baby. We’re going home.”