Author Topic: Back Seat Moderating  (Read 5904 times)

NateSean

Back Seat Moderating
« on: June 19, 2015, 12:33:17 PM »
There's been a trend lately of relatively new members telling other members what not to post. There's a report button for a reason and the backseat moderating creates a sense of elitism that this forum doesn't need.

redtailedsaffa

Re: Back Seat Moderating
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 01:41:14 PM »
Thing is, the report button is a bit of an extreme measure, generally reserved for ad spam posts, or content that is obscene, derogatory, or openly rude and hateful (a little knowledge of RAF's history would help there). If someone is just politely telling someone that they're going off topic or they're being irrelevant, rude or annoying with the matter of what they post, that's fine, all it needs is a little talking out. That said, the report button does alert the staff to the presence of a critical post, so we don't want people pushing it for petty reasons.

relatively new members telling other members what not to post

Perhaps you could just give us an example of this sort of thing? A screenshot with the names blacked out using MS Paint? Then it becomes a little clearer than this one-line post. I'm not saying you have evil intentions or anything, but we just want to know. I'm sure I speak on behalf of the whole forum here, even though I am not staff. And if this is just newbies learning the ropes, we might as well go easy on them. Have a three-strike policy before you, I dunno, minus karma or something. Hence my not understanding the "elitism" bit. Isn't that typically a characteristic of older members?

Offline Dylan

• Jeremy Jason McCole's #1 Fan
  • Xtreme Member
  • Do you just hate trashcans?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 03:14:41 PM »
Eh, I might of did this :( I'm sorry :P :-[
I'll be the bigger person here and I'll own up to my mistake
[spoiler]
Tim, you know that's a certain amount of dead posts you can bring back.

I don't see a rule specifically limiting how many "dead" threads I can revive.
IDK, just some of these posts are reaching a decade old!

There is no rule about reviving old discussions.
Eh, I'm sorry. I remember someone telling me that a while ago.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 09:30:05 PM by Dpsb5 »
Waffles. Nuf' Said.
2015: Best Newcomer to RAF
2015: Most Insane Member

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 06:14:47 PM »
You know what, NateSean, I was going to let this whole thing slide. Didn't want to get involved with another Almighty Queen-esque debaucle.

Then I saw you had the audacity to accuse other members of backseat moderating, when the ONLY person I've really seen doing what you describe is YOU. And I know you've accused me of backseat moderating three years ago, and I was only telling Cornson (who hasn't been signed in for a while now) that double-posting is typically something to be avoided. Now I've seen you've taken it upon yourself to smite everyone you percieve to be "backseat moderating".

I mean, really how is what you are doing any different?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:08:03 PM by CloakedFigure »

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline Dylan

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 08:08:19 PM »
I owned up to my mistake. If what CloakedFigure is saying about you is true, then it's pretty b!tchy, hypocritical, and petty for you to be complaining about my coment. :mad:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 09:30:41 PM by Dpsb5 »
Waffles. Nuf' Said.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 08:13:23 PM »
I don't really want to get embroiled in all this, but I just want to interject that you guys should probably just chillax.  If there is a real problem, a moderator will take notice, even if nobody actually reports the post in question.  This site has pretty awesome moderators, who are very good about keeping a general eye on things.  That's why they were picked to do what they do.

This sentiment is more-or-less directed at both sides of the argument.  If 'necro-posting' was becoming a problem, a moderator would say so.  And if 'policing' of supposed necro-posting was becoming a problem, a moderator would say so, too.  It isn't against the rules to post in an old thread, but neither is it against the rules to misunderstand the rules and maybe think that it is.  As long as you aren't being mean about it, which I really don't think anyone has been.

:)

Offline Dylan

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 08:21:33 PM »
I don't really want to get embroiled in all this, but I just want to interject that you guys should probably just chillax.  If there is a real problem, a moderator will take notice, even if nobody actually reports the post in question.  This site has pretty awesome moderators, who are very good about keeping a general eye on things.  That's why they were picked to do what they do.

This sentiment is more-or-less directed at both sides of the argument.  If 'necro-posting' was becoming a problem, a moderator would say so.  And if 'policing' of supposed necro-posting was becoming a problem, a moderator would say so, too.  It isn't against the rules to post in an old thread, but neither is it against the rules to misunderstand the rules and maybe think that it is.  As long as you aren't being mean about it, which I really don't think anyone has been.

:)
Amen  :angel:
I applaud
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 01:00:52 AM by Dpsb5 »
Waffles. Nuf' Said.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 01:02:49 AM »
Thanks, Dino, that was the best response we could've had. For future reference, it's okay to point out kindly to another member where he might be going wrong; getting all inflamed about it is where there is a problem. I notice the OP has been smiting people for this supposed "backseat moderating", especially newer members who really don't deserve it and are just trying to learn the ropes like Dylan here. I might as well go and fix that. In the meantime, clear off, everyone. We don't want this to become another hate thread. Saffa out. :)

Offline Dylan

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 01:11:13 AM »
Thanks, Dino, that was the best response we could've had. For future reference, it's okay to point out kindly to another member where he might be going wrong; getting all inflamed about it is where there is a problem. I notice the OP has been smiting people for this supposed "backseat moderating", especially newer members who really don't deserve it and are just trying to learn the ropes like Dylan here. I might as well go and fix that. In the meantime, clear off, everyone. We don't want this to become another hate thread. Saffa out. :)
I've learned fro my mistake.
I won't do that again. :angel:
I appluad you Saffa and Dino. ;)
Dpsb out
Waffles. Nuf' Said.

Offline Ash

• RAF Ancient
  • Social Staff Leader
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 03:46:38 AM »
I don't think there's much more to be said here. If a member informs another about some rule or posting issue in a level-headed manner, there's nothing wrong with that.

If anyone has further concerns, feel free to PM me or another staff member.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 05:22:23 PM by Ash »
You may have been given a cactus. Doesn't mean you have to sit on it.

Generation One

Keep up with RAF! Twitter | Facebook

Suspicious activity? Bot alert? Report the post or PM a staff member!