Author Topic: How did you get into Animorphs?  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Andalite_Shorm

• deviantART
How did you get into Animorphs?
« on: March 01, 2015, 05:27:05 PM »
I believe I was introduced about 10 years too late to Animorphs XD
I found the books in my school library in Year 8 (7th grade) and picked up Book 1
Around the same time I found another book series called Warrior Cats and had already finished reading it but for some reason no book store held the 2nd book and because our family hadn't really been introduced to online shopping at that stage I asked the school librarian to order a copy in, but it would take a really long time.

So during the break I showed my friends (one of whom was into Warrior Cats like myself) Animorphs but they were at that stage were anything new is stupid so immediately disregarded it as so.

For whatever reason I just sort of shrugged and agreed, but I did bring the book home and completely forgot about it
A few weeks later the school computer sent me an automated email reminding me the book was due back soon- I was kind of concerned because I had no idea where I'd put it, but after ransacking the house I found it down the side of the sofa

I couldn't care less what my friends thought of it, so I began to read it and by Chapter 4 I was really into it!
I already loved the idea of shapeshifters (a big love of werewolves helped with this, so you can guess Cassie was an instant favourite character), and while I didn't have much experience with sci-fi I really liked the concept of Animorphs and moved on to read through all the books the library had to offer (which was a mix and match throughout the series up till about 37 or so, along with Megamorphs 2)

Eventually when the books ran out, I moved on with and would stick with Warrior Cats for a long time. I've been on and off Animorphs since, as I keep finding new book series' that are more easy to access and read XD
Not to mention trying to find people with an interest in Animorphs in real life is like trying to find someone interested in Latin so 3x

But yeah so how did you guys get into it? :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 05:34:07 PM by Andalite_Shorm »

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: How did you get into Animorphs?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 05:44:31 PM »
Back when I was still into reading, I went to a new bookstore to see if it had anything different from my old bookstore. I found animorphs book 8: The Alien. One of the books that was less dark. I remember Ax describing Jake's tiger as moving like molten lava, but didn't actually call it a tiger, so i thought Jake had literally morphed into molten metal. I also believed the cover showed a Human turning into an alien, instead of Ax demorphing.

I found the series at about the time book 15 came out.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 01:23:54 AM »
I don't quite remember to be honest, but it was in '96.  I think it would have been either just seeing books #1 & #2 in the kids section at Borders or one of the smaller bookstores here (I remember getting both simultaneously), or we used to get paper Scholastic catalogs every few months at my elementary school where you could send away for stuff and have it mailed out.  One of the two.  Probably just thought the covers looked cool or whatever, as a 10 year old.

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 08:34:10 AM »
I'd been seeing the books in the Scholastic flyers for a while, but didn't have enough allowance for both them AND Goosebumps. Eventually I spotted book 2 in my school's library and just about devoured it. Never went back.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline pallosalama

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 05:14:21 PM »
I think I saw some animorphs title in library years ago, and thats how I started to read them. I read all 21(?) that were published in finnish, then forgot it.
Recently, about year or two ago I thought about animorphs again and read the series again, this time however I wondered if there were any more episodes, it stopped pretty early in my opinion. So I did some research and came up with the real information. So of course I had to order the series in english, and soo I managed to read all them finally, and this time I also came up with more interest towards series(which is the reason why I'm here.).
Yet seeing your post made me think, "omg, I've never thought of that, you are an evil genius".

Offline skjaedigare

• hohejojsosanon
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 09:27:52 PM »
I think I saw some animorphs title in library years ago, and thats how I started to read them. I read all 21(?) that were published in finnish, then forgot it.

I'm suddenly really curious what "Yeerk" and "Hork Bajir" translate to in Finnish.  :P
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 09:30:30 PM by skjaedigare »

Offline pallosalama

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 06:20:59 PM »
They actually translate the same. Would've probably been too hard to translate species names. I can think of Yeerk being translated as "Jeerk" or "Jeerki" but it does sound pretty stupid and non-scary, to be honest.
Andalites do translate as "Andaliitit", but its basically same with just the suffix in finnish.
Yet seeing your post made me think, "omg, I've never thought of that, you are an evil genius".

Offline Andalite_Shorm

• deviantART
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 01:45:47 PM »
They actually translate the same. Would've probably been too hard to translate species names. I can think of Yeerk being translated as "Jeerk" or "Jeerki" but it does sound pretty stupid and non-scary, to be honest.
Andalites do translate as "Andaliitit", but its basically same with just the suffix in finnish.

I suppose there wouldn't be a reason to translate them- I mean Hork-Bajir isn't a word in English either XD
They probably would have translated it if they needed to :P Like if you've ever seen Pokemon they have a species called a Bulbasaur- that's two English words 'bulb' and 'dinosaur' put together, and I know a lot of countries translated Pokemon so it made more sense ^-^

Offline skjaedigare

• hohejojsosanon
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 07:19:19 PM »

I suppose there wouldn't be a reason to translate them- I mean Hork-Bajir isn't a word in English either XD
They probably would have translated it if they needed to :P Like if you've ever seen Pokemon they have a species called a Bulbasaur- that's two English words 'bulb' and 'dinosaur' put together, and I know a lot of countries translated Pokemon so it made more sense ^-^

You would think that, but apparently, "Yeerk" is translated as "idoiter" in Swedish. Any Swedes (or perhaps, Swedish-speaking Finns?) here to enlighten us? :XD:

Offline WeLeadTheLost

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 05:17:07 PM »
I convinced my mom to take me to the bookstore (most likely in search of the latest Goosebumps book) and saw a rack filled with books that depicted people turning into animals. There has never been a point in my life when I wasn't fascinated by Animals and Aliens, so I picked up Book 1 and.....whatever book introduced the Elimist (Reachel acquired her bear in that one)
I remember coming home, sitting on my bed and reading The Invasion for HOURS. I'm pretty sure I finished the entire book in one sitting.

Reading a entire Animorphs book in one go isn't much of a feat for me today, but back when I was 10?  That was a new record.

Offline Quaf

• Andre, the seventh animorph
  • Gold Donor
  • be excellent to each other and party on dudes
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 04:53:24 PM »
I always pronounced yeerk the same way as 'jerk' and then my dad was reading one of the blurbs out loud and I realised is been saying it wrong my whole life....
Well, I'm the boss... Head Honcho. El Numero Uno. Mr. Big. The Godfather. Lord of the Rings. The Bourne... Identity. Er... Taxi Driver. Jaws. I forgot the question quite a while back. Who are you, again?

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 06:56:04 PM »
It's a pretty subtle pronunciation difference, though.  Just a very slightly stronger "e" variant, no biggie.

I always had trouble with whether it was "AX-imili" or a more even "Aximili" with no accent on a syllable, I think it's the latter.

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

Offline tigz

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 02:38:35 PM »
i think i had just started high school and i remember they had just been released in the uk not that long before i discovered them. school library probably but then i went into my local WH smilths and found some more. then i couldnt find any past book 12 for a while. then the tv series came on and they re-branded the covers with stupidly annoying advertisements. so i went to LA in december that year and bought all the books up to number 21 or so. my suitcase was just full of books on my return lol. then my mother went back to the US 2 years later and got me almost all of them. picked up the few remaining ones a while after that and probably finished reading the series when i was about 16/17 so a bit outside the intended age bracket but once i start a series i like to see it through to the end.

Offline Andalite_Shorm

• deviantART
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 03:03:10 PM »
I always pronounced yeerk the same way as 'jerk' and then my dad was reading one of the blurbs out loud and I realised is been saying it wrong my whole life....

Nothing compared to my pronunciation of Hork-Bajir ('hork-ba-jar') and Visser ('visor' like that on a windscreen) And I really feel like I should have known Visser, it being a real word and all XDD
There was also my horrible misinterpretation of what a Hork-Bajir looked like; I don't know what my 12-year-old self was thinking but I imagined them blue like the Andalites and short, mostly humanoid except for their feet O-o brain why

Offline Quaf

• Andre, the seventh animorph
  • Gold Donor
  • be excellent to each other and party on dudes
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 02:09:31 AM »
I did the same and I also pronounced Tobias toe-bee-us which is completely wrong :P. I even remember the day I worked out I was wrong- in Year 2 we were doing some reading comprehension thing and my teacher was reading out the sample story of an old guy and his cat named tobias who eats birds (the cat not the guy).

http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=3457.45
Well, I'm the boss... Head Honcho. El Numero Uno. Mr. Big. The Godfather. Lord of the Rings. The Bourne... Identity. Er... Taxi Driver. Jaws. I forgot the question quite a while back. Who are you, again?