Author Topic: Why are all the books named "the (noun)"  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Bootlebat

Why are all the books named "the (noun)"
« on: October 06, 2014, 01:15:27 AM »
Also, am I the only one who finds it WAY easier to remember the books by their number rather than title?

Offline Swift

Re: Why are all the books named "the (noun)"
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 02:25:57 AM »
I usually think of them as "the one where _________", or by the cover or any significant morphs they picked up.

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 03:23:32 AM »
It's just a naming convention, plenty of stuff does it.

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 07:12:45 AM »
I don't think I ever heard of a reason. I'm sorely disappointed that the last book wasn't titled The End. I mean obviously she went for some continuation because she believes stories never end, but I just figured long before the final arc that the last book would be The End.

As for the number thing, no. I couldn't tell you what number the Nartec book was, though I do remember what number some books were. Mostly I remember the books for the events.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 08:43:49 AM »
They had zero input on the titles. They've said as much before. (If nowhere else, I'm pretty sure it's in Anibase). Otherwise it's just a style choice Scholastic made. Lots of series do it. Why was Harry Potter always "Harry Potter and the ____"? Someone decided it was a good idea, either the author or the editors or somebody.

And yeah, there are only a few books I really remember the title of. The rest are by number.

Offline donut

• Xtreme Member
  • Don't Blink
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 11:28:56 AM »
I only remember the title of the invasion.  I call them by their number normally.  For a little while i also remembered tgem by cover morph, but i ended up going to ebook only after losing most of them.  As far as why... because they felt like it. 

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 02:25:23 PM »
Well, why not?  It's simple, it's consistent, it works.

Yeah, I tend to remember them better by number, as well.  I can remember most of the titles, but I have to think for a moment, where as if you give me a plot synopsis I can think of the book's number almost instantly.

I think that's probably because only a few of the titles actually had anything to do with what was in the book.  #10 The Android, #8 The Alien, sure, those are solid.  And, yeah, #3 The Encounter was about an encounter of sorts, and #2 The Visitor involved visiting places, so while they could have been named better, they still make some degree of sense.  But, #5 The Predator?  #16 The Warning?  Not remotely about anything contained within the book.

The worst by far is #24 The Suspicion.  Nobody is remotely suspicious of anything throughout the entire book (except maybe very briefly in the first few chapters).  The Helmacrons show up, they announce what they are and what they want, and the plot proceeds.  They're easily the least suspicious aliens the Animorphs have ever met.

Offline NickDaGriff

• RAF's resident geeky gryphon
    • My deviantArt
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 08:37:07 AM »
The worst by far is #24 The Suspicion.  Nobody is remotely suspicious of anything throughout the entire book (except maybe very briefly in the first few chapters).  The Helmacrons show up, they announce what they are and what they want, and the plot proceeds.  They're easily the least suspicious aliens the Animorphs have ever met.

Well, there's a lot more suspicion in #24 than there was prophecy in #34.  And #50: The Ultimate didn't really have an ultimate anything.

And yeah, I personally remember the numbers really well, more so for the ones I really liked or hated.
[spoiler=A writer at heart:]
My sequel fic, Animorphs #55: The Following
My first Memoirs fic, A Geeky Gryphon's Origins

Offline Bootlebat

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 07:15:15 PM »
I think the warning in #16 is the website about yeerks since that is ostensibly a warning to people about them. One I am really confused about is #41 The Familiar what does that refer to?

Offline KingAlanI

• my Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 12:14:06 AM »
It can make it hard to come up with good ideas for titles.

I look at a file with a list of the numbers and titles because I often can't remember which goes with which. I check my reviews to refresh my memory about what book a particular plot point was in.

Offline Andalite_Shorm

• deviantART
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 07:19:03 PM »
Probably just a pattern that K.A. was fond of; I know of a few fanfiction writers will even have a pattern for their chapter names (one I read had the main character being named Calem, thus every chapter was "Calem's [insert problem or adventure here]"

I only remember the number of the last book (54) but that's about it; as for titles I remember a few but normally, as that first reply says, will remember it as "that book where such-and-such happened"

Also while we're on this note, anyone notice how every time someone speaks in Animorphs it's always name-description; "Jake whispered" "Cassie said", it's never description-name like "whispered Jake", I always found that odd :O
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:12:47 AM by Andalite_Shorm »

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 03:28:29 AM »
It's just a simple & consistent way of writing.  It's like newspapers, they're written explicity with it in mind that it should be able to be read by a 12 year old, basic language and formatting.  Animorphs was a YA series, they just wanted to keep it stylistically straight-down-the-line with no frills.

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.