Author Topic: On Cassie's "Intuition"  (Read 5773 times)

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
Re: On Cassie's "Intuition"
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2014, 01:40:40 PM »
Book 19.  Pretty early in the series, way before the events we're talking about and before the gray-area stuff really came seriously into play in the books.

She's pretty much given up on the "right or wrong?" stuff by that final story arc where everything's escalated.  She's complicit in the recruiting disabled and sick kids to the fight, she's cool with Jake blackmailing Erek, she's not speaking up about stealing bombs from military bases to load on a train and blow the sh*t out of a bunch of human hosts.

It's a pretty clear evolution, from the initial stages of the war soon after they met Elfangor, through to the war-weary Cassie of the final 10 or so books.

And the thing about the cube?  That's the point, she did go through the thought process.  She knew (or at least perceived it probably would) work in stoking the Yeerk resistance and the Taxxons, and saw that endgame when nobody else could.  Doesn't make it right, going rogue and doing it all solo, but it's silly to say it wasn't thought through.  The "it would be the worst thing ever" was likely just before she had that lightbulb moment and saw the possibilities, before that idea hit her that the rest of the team never comprehended.

And she didn't know it would work out.  It was a gamble that paid off.  Jake pulled that type of gut-feeling sh*t all the time and we're cool with it.  Only difference with Cassie is she did it on her own, deceptively.  Which makes it less-than-right, but they were all pretty fine with forgiving the means when they saw the end.

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2014, 02:48:27 PM »
I have gone over in other threads before how they could have done the same thing without handing over the box. I don't buy for a bit that this was some thought out plan, or she had some eureka moment. The only reason she did it, besides the author just wanting it to happen, is what she believed Jake was about to kill Tom and didn't think they could both take him alive for some reason. If it was actually thought through, she would have done it differently. The narration beforehand would have mentioned something. There would be plot points.

I could go on and on about this. Jake did not pull off this kind of stuff all the time. No one has done anything to that extent. This isn't just a gamble. This was complete idiocy.

Ani-Master 2014!

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2014, 02:56:57 PM »
Jake made moves based on instinct rather than logic all the time.  Just more in the heat of battle, nothing so macro.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2014, 03:03:27 PM »
But does he ever think to just hand over the morphing cube, or anything else so extreme?

Ani-Master 2014!

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2014, 05:04:52 PM »
Honestly, I think if Jake saw that far ahead, he just might.  The difference would be he'd consult the others if given the chance to.  Thing is, that's why Cassie's there, she and Marco play the big game, Jake's only really good at figuring out the here and now, how to get them all out of a bind and home safely.  Only Cassie could have pulled off that particular chess move.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2014, 05:25:23 PM »
He would have consulted the group, and if they agreed it had potential they would have done it in a way that didn't involve handing the box to the enemy. It would have had the same effect without the drawbacks.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2014, 07:00:16 PM »
A little late, but I don't think it's fair to blame Cassie for quiting. She did, but she came back.
And Jake took the offer to back out too (MM4).

But I do agree with Chad, NFS you keep saying Cassie saw ahead; where in the course of the series do you see that she was ever thinking "if the Yeerks have access to the morphing tech, they can be converted" on a mass scale. F***, even doing that to Aftran was Jake's idea. And then it's ignored for 20 books. Giving her that "insight" was one of the most poorly executed retro-fixes I've ever seen.

Other thinks to gripe about

She's complicit in the recruiting disabled and sick kids to the fight,
which she should be, they do have a stake in the fight, and are only a little more vulenerable than the able bodied out of morph. Why did they spend half that book making that a moral crisis?

she's cool with Jake blackmailing Erek, she's not speaking up about stealing bombs from military bases to load on a train and blow the sh*t out of a bunch of human hosts.
and I'd say this is a great example of why her intuition is not to be trusted. This was unfolding very rapidly, and she was still under pressure from screwing up with the box, and she cracked. She lost sight of how she would respond, and how to find another way. I don't doubt for a second that she was okay with it, but she couldn't figure out how to neutralize it since everyone else had changed so rapidly.

Cassie had a lot of talents, her most valuable from the strategic stand point was probably being able to read people well. She understood motives and desires, and how that would play into others battle plans, so she could counter and set traps appropriately (which is the only arguement I can think of about her premotions on the box, but I remain doubtful). But then when things are in motion, when she's charged with responsibility, she has luck, or Ellimist being a dick.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline NickDaGriff

• RAF's resident geeky gryphon
    • My deviantArt
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2014, 07:38:24 PM »
I already established that Cassie didn't put any thought into handing over the cube in post 9.  Her whole thought process is plainly spelled out in the book's text, and it had nothing to do with thinking ahead.  That was solely because she didn't want to see Tom die, and she justified it by saying she wanted to protect Jake from himself, but all that did was drive him crazy and make him unable to trust anyone or feel like he could rely on others.  That's why he pretty much cut the others out from the decision making from that point on, even though their input would have helped massively in coming up with less bloody alternatives.  He couldn't see the others as anything but a risk factor.

I'm not even sure why flushing the pool would do anything. There's already been a situation like this with the oatmeal, and v3 didn't care until he was thrown in. I think this part was just thrown in because KAA wanted Jake to do a very bad thing. Something less justifiable than what he did to Eric, since if he really wanted eric to help there weren't many alternatives to work around his programming. Not to mention that he probably wouldn't have killed Chapman anyway. It was an odd moment to me, and seems like it was thrown in there just to show how far Jake has fallen. Why did he think flushing Yeerks would cause V3 to rush to the bridge?

Visser 3 was under very intense scrutiny at that point, he had to be on his very best behavior or he'd be removed from power.  He may have been able to get away with things like randomly killing and eating minions earlier, but only because the Council didn't care too much about Earth until Visser 1's trial, when the memory dumps clued them in on the planet's actual potential.  After that, they started pouring in more resources, even though they didn't fully trust Visser 3 to handle it, him being on probation.  Losing the ground pool was seen as an acceptable loss on his part, because they still had the pool ship in orbit, there was no real way for them to see it coming, and that pool was part of Visser 1's plan anyway (meaning he could wash his hands of it because he'd already said it was a waste of time and a bad idea, thus strengthening his position).  Once he lost the pool ship, however, his fate was sealed.  He could either be executed slowly by Kandarona starvation, or surrender himself and hope for a quick death in human hands.  Book #6 established that cornered Yeerks won't fight back if they don't see any escape, and we see it subtly throughout the series.  That's why Visser 3 gave up.  He saw that the pool had been flushed (because he was already on the bridge), and knew that he was as good as dead no matter what he did.  That's why the ship was as good as taken once they had access to that console.

Jake didn't see it as enough, though.  He was pissed because his whole deal throughout the books was about not wanting all the responsibility in the world on his shoulders while being forced to take it.  That whole emotional buildup came to a climax during the final books and he snapped under the pressure.  He'd just seen a few hundred soldiers and all the auxiliaries die as nothing more than a diversion that he ordered, and the shock of it geared him into full denial mode, and he dumped three years worth of pent-up rage and hatred onto the yeerks in the pool.  Who knows, in that state of mind, he might have even ordered Chapman killed (though he'd lose his leverage and Ax probably wouldn't have done it anyway).  He was in an eye-for-an-eye mood and ended up seriously regretting it later, partially because he could see in hindsight how he'd made the same kind of emotionally-driven individual decisions he chewed out Cassie for.  The decision made perfect sense on his part and was heavily foreshadowed, it wasn't just thrown in for trauma-giggles.

One thing that's bugged me about the writing itself in these books is that there's a notable difference between what the authors (KAA in particular) would usually state about a character, and how they would actually act.  Cassie (the so-called people person of the group and the one who always saw ahead) was actually very much trapped in the emotional here and now, always thinking about what made her situation uncomfortable and flat-out ending it without thinking very clearly about others.  She couldn't even see what was going on with Tobias or Rachel, her own best friend for years.  Jake, on the other hand (the one who supposedly just reacted to everything), was generally the one thinking up plans for the team that usually played out pretty well, even if he did end up having to improvise a lot.  Unfortunately, we can't just base our ideas of the characters off of what the authors tell us about them, we have to look at their actual thought processes and actions themselves.  I challenge anyone to pull up some actual evidence from the book that Cassie planned for taxxon freedom/yeerk rebellion before she gave the cube over, and I'll buy it.  As it stands, she had no reason whatsoever to believe that her actions would help the war effort in any way, and that was far from being on her mind as she bit Jake.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 07:41:32 PM by XenoFrobe »
[spoiler=A writer at heart:]
My sequel fic, Animorphs #55: The Following
My first Memoirs fic, A Geeky Gryphon's Origins

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2014, 07:49:38 PM »
I'm not real sure why recruiting disabled kids was supposed to be morally gray.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline NickDaGriff

• My deviantArt
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2014, 08:04:33 PM »
Because as a culture, we like to feel sorry for anyone less abled than us.  It's just BS, them recruiting at a hospital was no different from an Andalite recruiting the first kids he saw.  They didn't have any idea what they were in for and it still sucks, but it's really no different.

EDIT: Semi-relevant video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K9Gg164Bsw  That's why it's BS.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:14:36 PM by XenoFrobe »

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2014, 03:01:46 PM »
I've already established what my main point is here indirectly: Most of what we are saying heavily has to do with how we would act in the exact same situation. Cassie's actions (And motivations) seem plausible to those who would behave similar to Cassie. Jake's motivations seem more believable to those who would have acted like Jake themselves.

Jake was pissed because his whole deal throughout the books was about not wanting all the responsibility in the world on his shoulders while being forced to take it.  That whole emotional buildup came to a climax during the final books and he snapped under the pressure.  He'd just seen a few hundred soldiers and all the auxiliaries die as nothing more than a diversion that he ordered, and the shock of it geared him into full denial mode, and he dumped three years worth of pent-up rage and hatred onto the Yeerks in the pool.

The key here is "Pent-up rage and hatred" and "snapping under the pressure." What direction and how a person snaps heavily has to do with what sort of person they are. When I snap under the pressure, what happens is that I collapse not under my resentment but under my own self-hatred and fear. What's being held back is not hatred of others but hatred of self and an overwhelming feeling of inadequacy. To a person like this, Jake's actions do not come off as rational or foreshadowed--- They come off as insane and unexpectedly violent. A similar belief will occur in someone whose experiences have led them to eliminate emotional factors when making decisions.

Cassie had a lot of talents, her most valuable from the strategic stand point was probably being able to read people well. She understood motives and desires, and how that would play into others battle plans, so she could counter and set traps appropriately (which is the only arguement I can think of about her premotions on the box, but I remain doubtful). But then when things are in motion, when she's charged with responsibility, she has luck, or Ellimist being a dick

Coming from experience, luck and goodwill are often the secret advantages of being passive. Perhaps because what's coming into play isn't luck at all, but a subconscious survival tactic which comes out of being able to read people really well.

But there's probably no way that K.A. was factoring that nifty feature in, and so I have no real excuse for most of this other than it having been part of Cassie's character since the start of the series. (As early as #4). She has a knack for knowing things she shouldn't....

Offline NickDaGriff

• My deviantArt
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2014, 03:18:55 PM »
I've already established what my main point is here indirectly: Most of what we are saying heavily has to do with how we would act in the exact same situation. Cassie's actions (And motivations) seem plausible to those who would behave similar to Cassie. Jake's motivations seem more believable to those who would have acted like Jake themselves.

---

The key here is "Pent-up rage and hatred" and "snapping under the pressure." What direction and how a person snaps heavily has to do with what sort of person they are. When I snap under the pressure, what happens is that I collapse not under my resentment but under my own self-hatred and fear. What's being held back is not hatred of others but hatred of self and an overwhelming feeling of inadequacy. To a person like this, Jake's actions do not come off as rational or foreshadowed--- They come off as insane and unexpectedly violent. A similar belief will occur in someone whose experiences have led them to eliminate emotional factors when making decisions.

Oh trust me, I’m nothing like Jake.  Not in the least.  He’s almost the opposite of real life me.  If I relate to or project myself onto any animorph, it’s Tobias for sure.  Like him, my typical method of snapping under intense emotional pressure is to shut down, internalize, just leave without another word (or maybe some short biting words), privately stew in a swirling vat of emotions for a while, and do some seriously heavy introspection until I can face the world again.  Definitely not leader material, more a solitary go-with-the-flow ideas guy.  Still, that doesn’t mean I can’t try to get into Jake’s head.  Having a certain viewpoint doesn’t mean we can’t understand where others are coming from.

When Jake’s pissed, he wants to lash out, but doesn’t really want to destroy anything, so he does it kind of passive-aggressively most of the time.  He will yell and tell people exactly what’s on his mind from time to time as well.  However, when he was under more stress than he’d ever had in his life from multiple factors that didn’t allow him his usual dealing methods, and saw an easy way to strike a huge blow against the enemy, that seemed like the ideal place for him to lash out with what felt like perfect justification at the time.

Jake’s feelings of self-hatred came after the fact, when he had a chance to sit back and really look at the damage he caused over the course of the war.  And some of the things he did really were excessive and violent; I never said they were rational, just understandable from his perspective.  He was trying really hard to remain impassive and unemotional, but it didn’t work.  He was just too emotionally charged from everything he’d been through, just too personally close to the conflict to be able to remain detached and cool-headed. 

As for foreshadowing, it started in #6 with the jacuzzi attack, which was mirrored by Alloran in The Andalite Chronicles.  Note the animorphs’ collective shift in moral views between the occurrences.  In the beginning, the Yeerks were just the enemy, plain and simple.  Then, by the time TAC rolls around, they start to appreciate the fact that the Yeerks are sentient individuals, and don’t all want war.  The contrast between the first two events highlight how far the animorphs have come in perspective (even though they weren't there for TAC; it’s still heavily thematic regarding the end), and Jake’s actions in the finale highlight how far he’s fallen with respect to those occurrences.  Following that, we get to see how Jake totally loses it when his family is in danger in #31.  His ability to stay rational just vaporizes, and he can barely think through the stress.  When Marco’s dad said Jake always had a place in his family in #50, Jake almost broke down crying because that made him feel more than ever like his own family was gone for good.  That’s one of the moments that made him so driven in the finale (and made Cassie's betrayal hit that much harder).  He felt like he had nothing left to lose, because his family was gone and he later found his friends couldn’t be trusted (with Cassie’s betrayal and Ax going behind his back).  He felt completely isolated, and began keeping to himself.  He didn’t feel like talking over plans with the others was a good idea, because one of them might object and ruin everything.  And so, without Cassie and Tobias to temper him or Ax and Marco to counsel him, he made a bunch of really ruthless decisions that ended up getting a lot of people killed.  Don’t get me wrong, no one was coming out of this war clean, but it could have been a lot less bloody.

Coming from experience, luck and goodwill are often the secret advantages of being passive. Perhaps because what's coming into play isn't luck at all, but a subconscious survival tactic which comes out of being able to read people really well.

But there's probably no way that K.A. was factoring that nifty feature in, and so I have no real excuse for most of this other than it having been part of Cassie's character since the start of the series. (As early as #4). She has a knack for knowing things she shouldn't....

Like I said before, I'm not totally convinced Cassie is good at handling people.  She tries to be nice, and certainly makes efforts to defuse volatile situations, but lots of people can do that.  If she was so good at reading people, why did she never even offer Tobias any help when he was losing his mind in any of his books?  Why didn't she see the whole struggle Rachel was going through and help her?  Seriously, all Rachel needed was for people to reassure that yes, she was a good person where it counted.  Jake was in a fragile state of mind when his family got taken, and he desperately needed closure on Tom.  But what do we see? 
  • Through inaction, Cassie just affirms Rachel’s role as the "bad guy" of the team at the end of #48, the book that shaped Rachel’s mindset for the whole finale.  All she saw was Rachel getting progressively more violent, and never tried to help her, just pre-judged and condemned her apparent attitudes without ever trying to look deeper.  Rachel, in fact, took deep personal offense to this and it drove her to a breakdown in the end, followed by a suicidal level of determination to keep her friends safe when she'd picked up the pieces of herself.  Tobias was literally the only person she had who told her she wasn't a monster.  Cassie, her alleged best friend, should have been there to do that too.
  • With Tobias, Cassie barely has any interaction with him throughout the series, apart from them sharing dreams after he mistakenly tried to eat her in #4, and the bit in #9 when she coldly treated him like he was being a jerk for eating cute little animals (which couldn’t possibly be more insensitive to his more obvious struggles if she actually tried) right at the moment when he was trying to open up to and sympathize with her.  Come to think of it, it’s no friggin’ wonder he never talked to her afterwards.  It's not like he has serious issues with emotional dependence, trust, acceptance, and getting hurt by those closest to him or anything.

[spoiler]
Quote from: Animorphs #9: The Secret
<Hey, Cassie,> a thought-speak voice said as I crunched noisily through the woods. <What's
going on?>
I looked up and saw Tobias go skimming by. He flared, turned on a dime, and landed on a
branch. He dug his ripping talons into the soft bark.
"Not much," I said.
<I heard it was pretty bad last night. >
"Yeah? Who did you talk to?"
<Ax. Who else? He was definitely weirded out by the whole thing. >
I stopped walking. It was something in the way he said "weirded out." "Tobias, who else did
you talk to?"
<Maybe Marco,> he said.
"And Marco told you I went nuts, right?"
<Actually, the word he used was "insane." Also "Looney Tunes." And "wacko." But he
meant it all in the nicest possible way. >
I laughed bitterly. "Well, I guess I did go a bit wacko," I said.
<Welcome to the club,> Tobias said. <None of us is going to come through all this
completely normal. You know that. Too much fear. >
"Well, I'm pretty sick of it," I said. "I had to destroy the termite queen. I know, she was just a
bug. But you know, who am I to decide that it's okay to kill one animal and not another? Here
I am, the big Earth Mother, tree-hugger, animal-lover, as Marco would say, and when it gets
down to it, I'm just like ..."
<Just like me?> Tobias asked.
"Just like any predator," I said lamely.
<You feel bad because you had to kill the queen in order to survive.>
"I shouldn't have been there. It's their world, not mine. Those little tunnels in a rotten piece of
wood -- that's their whole universe. I invaded it. And when they got in my way, I reacted.
Who does that remind you of?"
<Look, you are not a Yeerk, and termites are not human beings,> Tobias said. <There's no
comparison.>
I didn't bother arguing. "Look, I have to morph. There's something I need to do."
<What?>
I sighed. "It's something stupid, all right? There's this mother skunk we have who's injured.
She has a litter of kits who are going to die. I think I know where they are, more or less, but I
can't get there walking like a human."
For a moment Tobias said nothing. <Skunk kits? Near the edge of the Yeerk logging compound?>
"Yes."
<I can show you where they are.>
For a frozen moment of time I refused to understand what he'd just said. I didn't want to think
of why Tobias . . . why a red-tailed hawk would know the exact location of a litter of skunk
babies.
I took a couple of deep breaths. I tried to keep my voice level. "Are they still alive?"
<There are four still alive,> Tobias said.
I felt an emotion I don't feel very often. I felt it boiling up inside me. I glared furiously at
him. At the ripping talons. At the nastily curved beak.
I could picture the scene in my mind. The way he would have swooped down, raked those
talons forward, snatched the defenseless kit off the ground and . . .
I was shaking. I laced my fingers together, just to stop them from trembling.
"I'm going to save what's left of them," I said. My voice didn't sound like my voice.
<I'll help you,> Tobias said.
I used my osprey morph and flew behind Tobias as he led me directly to the spot I had seen
the night before. I carried the frozen grasshopper in my talons. I didn't ask Tobias any
questions, and he didn't say anything.
He pointed out the almost-invisible entrance to the skunks' lair. And then he flew away. I
knew he'd go to Jake and tell him what I was doing. And I knew that I had hurt Tobias by
treating him so coldly.
But, to tell you the truth, I didn't care right then. I just wanted to find those baby skunks. I
don't know why, but somehow
in my mind those baby skunks had become very important.
[/spoiler]

Legendary kindness and people skills, hard at work right there.  Seriously, look at Tobias go, trying to bond with that active listening, heartfelt reassuring, honesty, and personal sacrifice as Cassie ignores it and trashes their chances of close friendship for the rest of the series.  She apologizes later, but that kind of stuff still cuts really deep for him.

• With the whole cube situation in #50, you know what a “people-person” would do?  Negotiate or manipulate.  Things she was supposedly good at.  She specifically says she wanted Jake to “be able to face himself in the mirror,” and that if he killed Tom he’d end up crossing the moral event horizon (which he debatably did anyway, partially as a result of her actions).  And when she had a chance to capture Tom, the thing Jake has wanted more than anything since day one, she just let him go--no, more than that, kept Jake from him.  And that played absolute hell on Jake’s sanity for the rest of the series, even long after the war.  What a person with people skills would have done is sneak around, block escape, keep Jake from hurting him with constant reassurances, and then talk the Yeerk into surrendering with promises of life and freedom from Visser Three.  Seriously, what Yeerk wouldn’t find that tempting, especially one that’s cornered at all angles and at extreme risk of being killed by V3 for the slightest mistake even if he does escape?  Even if that failed, she’d still be in a position to just chomp his hand with the Dracon beam while Jake secures the cube and apprehends Tom.  They could fix injuries with morphing later.  What a person with people skills would NOT do is maul their boyfriend with no warning at all and doom their family members to the hands of the enemy.  That just seems insane and unexpectedly violent.

[spoiler]
Quote from: Animorphs #50: The Ultimate
I stopped in my tracks.
Because there stood Tom, unsteady, blood dried and streaked on his face.
Clutching the blue box. And a Dracon beam.
His eyes were wild. They darted toward Visser One. I imagined what Tom was
thinking. Whoever had the morphing cube held the future of the planet in his
hands.
Why would he hand that over to Visser One?
Tom ran.
I followed him to the edge of the ramp. Saw a pair of eyes gleaming in the dark
below me. A crouched body, black and orange.
Jake!
He watched as Tom staggered past. Then padded after him. His paws nearly silent.
Again, I followed. Into the surrounding woods. Beyond sight of the school. Barely
keeping Jake, the silent, bloody beast, in sight.
Still, Tom must have sensed something. Because suddenly he looked over his
shoulder. Turned.
And fired.
The Dracon beam singed Jake’s shoulder! But he kept moving forward. Toward
Tom.
“Back off!” Tom screamed. “I mean it, I’ll kill you!”
Jake took another step forward.
Tsseeeew!
Tom fired again. The shot hit Jake in the back leg. He fell heavily.
Tom took off running. Sure that Jake would not, could not, follow.
But Jake lifted the tiger’s seven-hundred-pound body on three legs and started
after his brother. Into the shadows. Into the darkest place Jake had ever been. The
place where he would have to kill his brother. Or be killed by him.
Suddenly, I remembered my father’s face. His voice. “Is what you’re doing
humane?”
No matter which way it went between Jake and Tom, I would lose Jake.
Because if Jake had to kill Tom, he’d never be the same. He would cross whatever
line it was that separated us from them.
And I was pretty sure there was no crossing back.
I ran ahead into the dark. Followed the trail of Jake’s blood.
Tom crashing through the woods ahead of me.
Soft, irregular thudding. Jake.
Stalking his brother. Prepared to kill him. For what?
For a morphing cube. For…
It wasn’t worth it.
Suddenly, I knew the truth.
I reached the clearing where they both stood.
Tom was out of breath. Staggering.
Jake was only a yard or two behind him.
Tom turned. Lifted his arm. Aimed his weapon.
“I’ll kill you, Jake,” he said, voice ragged. “I will.”
Jake snarled. Crouched. Prepared to spring.
That’s when I shot forward and closed my jaws over Jake’s uninjured back leg.
Clamped down.
Jake roared. Turned on me. Smacked at my head with his paw. The blow sent me
sprawling. Claws raked deep gashes in my side.
But it was worth it. The pain, everything.
I’d done what I had to do.
I’d made the sacrifice.
Tom disappeared into the night.
Jake and I lay there, panting with pain and fatigue.
We had nothing to show for this fight. Except that we were alive to fight another
day.
And tomorrow, Jake could face himself in the mirror.
[...]
We’d been back twelve hours and Jake still hadn’t spoken to me.
Hadn’t even looked at me.
Nobody but the two of us knew what had happened. They knew only that Tom had
gotten away with the morphing cube. That Jake was devastated.
And they knew something was very wrong between me and Jake. But they didn’t
know why. Finally I decided to force the issue with Jake.
Jake stared at me, his eyes cold and hard. “Well?”
“Stop treating me like I’m the enemy,” I said.
Jake turned and began to stalk away. I trotted alongside him and grabbed his
sleeve.
He yanked it out of my grasp and faced me. His face was white with anger. His lips
were shaking. “How could you do it?” he cried, his voice breaking. “Why?”
I choked. “I was trying to protect you!”
“Protect me?” His brows lifted in amazement. “How?”
“You were wounded. He might have killed you.”
“Then why didn’t you go after him?” Jake demanded. “You weren’t hurt. With the
trees for cover and the wolf’s speed, you could have taken him down!”
I couldn’t explain. Because I didn’t understand it myself. All I knew was that letting
Tom take the morphing cube had seemed absolutely the right thing to do.
And something still told me I was right.
[/spoiler]

Sure, he can face himself in the mirror, but she can’t grasp why he wouldn’t want to face her after what she did.  Personal betrayal involving incredible physical and emotional pain, endangering the war effort, and almost getting them both killed on the spot (I think the only reason the Yeerk didn’t shoot them in the confusion was because maybe his dracon was running low, otherwise he had two animorphs at his mercy and every reason to kill them), all because she didn’t want to see Jake hurt.  Is she just that self-absorbed that she can’t see what’s wrong there?

Personally, I don’t see any way to reconcile what she does and how she acts with what the authors say about her, unless she’s unknowingly working on a totally different level.  Hence, my headcanon.  She could have helped them overcome their respective issues in a healthier way, but didn't because the Ellimist needed hardened soldiers, not happy kids.  On her subconscious, STG level, she saw that if they weren't constantly being pushed to rely on themselves more and more, they wouldn't have become strong enough to do the things that needed doing. 

If she is good at reading people, and knew exactly what she was doing throughout the series, then the implications about her aren’t very nice.  It would mean she was being incredibly callous and/or messing with peoples’ heads, causing them a huge amount of grief and danger for no real rational reason.  If she’s a part of the Ellimist, she’s at least got a decent motivation then, even if she doesn’t fully understand why.

When I did a bunch of rereading for this post, I also noticed she mentions how she doesn’t even know why she does things quite a lot.  She just chalks it up to, “I don’t know,” and, “Something tells me I’m right,” all the time.  I've got three examples in the above two excerpts alone.  Just running off extremely lucky selfish gut instinct, or perhaps something… More*strokes chin melodramatically*
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 05:11:04 PM by XenoFrobe »

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2014, 10:32:30 AM »
Looks like it's time to come back in. XD

Once I post on Roleplaying across the board, I will take my shot at this. :} <3 You're still like the second or third coolest guy ever.

Offline KingAlanI

• my Tumblr
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2014, 07:57:10 PM »
Even if this was canon, it seems like a plot hole or some other sort of writing problem. On the other hand, maybe it's a well written character flaw.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2014, 08:06:01 PM »
Part of being a well written character flaw is that other characters make note of it and urge the character to change. As opposed to Tobias telling Jake it was beyond wrong to exclude her from a meeting after what she did.

Ani-Master 2014!