Author Topic: On Cassie's "Intuition"  (Read 5775 times)

Offline NickDaGriff

• RAF's resident geeky gryphon
    • My deviantArt
On Cassie's "Intuition"
« on: August 29, 2014, 09:31:32 AM »
This is a crazy theory and purely speculative, but it's my headcanon, so take it as you will.

So Cassie, throughout the series, makes a huge amount of highly questionable decisions that work out in a way almost too good to be true.  In Megamorphs #4, we learn that Cassie has the ability to see how the timeline is supposed to be, and can disrupt any alterations just by thinking about it. So maybe, whenever she gets an inexplicable feeling about how something ''should'' be (I should cripple Jake so that he can't catch Tom and get the cube back), or just ''knows'' something she really has no clue about (you can't mess with free will, mmkay?), or takes some idiotic risk (no way this yeerk's gonna betray me if I let her infest me), she's unconsciously working to keep the timeline on a beneficial path. Heck, she even went nothlit to gain Aftran's trust, and only escaped through a weird loophole in morphing that makes no logical sense with what we know about morphing (her body should've been lost in Z-space like Tobias', and the butterfly would have become her base form; I call Ellimist shenanigans).  This is basically the reason she has no character development. No one can possibly prove her irrational gut feelings wrong, because they never will be.

This does make her seem like a bit of a Sue at first glance. No plot element can really stand up to her ideals, so there's little room for growth. But, consider the implications. Is she aware of the course of the timeline? Is she making it up as she goes? If it's all being fed to her, then what or who is giving it to her?

My theory is that Cassie isn't just being guided by the Ellimist; she is a part of the Ellimist.  The Ellimist planted her here in an unstable little spot in the timeline as part of his setup. Coincidentally, what happened around the time Cassie was conceived/born? Loren and Elfangor accidentally create their own warped mini-universe with Visser 3, bring their time-shifted selves back to Earth with the Time Matrix, and then the Ellimist alters the timeline in order to get Elfangor back in the right spot. All that screwing around caused glitches, some of which the Ellimist realized he could exploit. So, he reached into his collective mind, pulled out someone (maybe Aguella, based on how lovingly he acts with her at the end of Megamorphs #4), and inserted her consciousness into a convenient local spot, right in a gap in the timeline where she can "see beyond the walls" and act as a safeguard. Being a part of the Ellimist's hivemind consciousness, she instinctively knows what he would want her to do, and can act on it without it actually counting as direct interference from him. Of course, he keeps it a closely guarded secret from absolutely everyone (even her) because it would make Crayak pissed (he'd almost definitely see it as cheating) and Cassie a prime target, but that's just how he operates anyway.

[spoiler=A writer at heart:]
My sequel fic, Animorphs #55: The Following
My first Memoirs fic, A Geeky Gryphon's Origins

redtailedsaffa

Re: On Cassie's "Intuition"
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 09:42:16 AM »
ESP?

I always thought that was how she operated, considering I have it as well, to some degree.

Offline NickDaGriff

• My deviantArt
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 02:51:32 PM »
Well, I think being subconsciously guided as part of a larger consciousness would count as ESP, in a literal sense.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 03:45:06 PM »
That sounds more like a hand wave than anything else. The things Cassie does that should end very badly, wind up doing something positive because the author wanted it to happen. Then she doesn't seem to suffer negative consequences, and doesn't  change.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline NickDaGriff

• My deviantArt
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 04:33:40 PM »
Oh, I agree.  I really wish there had been some acknowledgement in-universe as to how terrible her attitudes and decisions were, but no.  She's the author's pet character, but I really want it to be more than just that.  That's why this theory is going to be just part of a larger plot in my fanfic.  Gonna make her take a good hard look at herself for the first time ever.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 04:46:41 PM »
As an in universe explanation, I think it's valid. I'll give it that much.

As ticked off as I was that Cassie let Tom get away with the box, I was more ticked off at Tobias for saying Jake (accidentally, unbeknownst to Tobias) excluding her from a meeting was beyond wrong. Really? Because I would have done it on purpose. I would have straight up told her that she was no longer a part of active missions.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 09:13:27 PM »
She's just intelligent and perceptive.  She doesn't always get it right, either.  I always hated that "Ellimist set up everything ever, ever-ever" stuff the later books seem to allude to. 

It's just like Marco sees that thoroughfare from "Point A to Point B", Cassie's the same but on a more macro level.  Just the big picture the chess game.

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 09:18:28 PM »
I actually liked the idea that the reason the Animorphs never died, ignoring the one megamorphs exception, was that the Ellemist was protecting them by always making sure they had a way out.

Ani-Master 2014!

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 09:23:26 PM »
It's just sort of a cheap way to go, though.  And it would seem to go way over the line of the rules of Ellimist/Crayak's game, like The Ellimist was basically cheating in desperation or something.

Like, sure, it works in a narrative sense like how Elfangor just happened to land exactly where these particular kids were at that point in time and all, but you don't really need to get into all that stuff, makes the actions of the kids that much less special.

Offline NickDaGriff

• My deviantArt
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 03:28:44 AM »
There's just too much to chalk up to her being perceptive.  Just the examples I listed had absolutely no possible way for her to know that they would work out.  Besides, I don't actually buy that she's that perceptive or a very good people-person, when most of her actions are fairly shortsighted.  Her defining characteristic is that she runs on raw unfiltered emotion, and tries to dictate everyone's actions based purely on what she feels comfortable with.  It comes into play over and over. 

When she was in the woods with Aftran, she had no reason trust that a Yeerk with everything to gain would not waltz back home with a brand new morph-capable host.  Cassie just didn't want to see someone get hurt in a time that totally necessitated any measures that would keep their identities safe.  She put her cowardice and half-baked morals before her friends' lives, giving herself up to a Yeerk that was still ranting to that moment about how hypocritical humans were, and that invasion was morally justifiable.  The fact that Aftran ended up being sympathetic and tired of the war was just a stroke of luck.

When she stopped Jake from going after Tom, the thought in her head wasn't that the Taxxons and various Yeerks would rebel or desert once they had the morphing technology.  She was only thinking about Jake and herself.  She didn't want to see Jake hurt Tom (which I don't think he actually would have at that point--he got that desperate after the stress of what Cassie did), and so she kept him from doing something that she knew was necessary because she wanted him "to be able to face himself in the mirror" (yeah, and he was totally fine afterwards).

Quote from: #50: The Ultimate
Jake turned and began to stalk away. I trotted alongside him and grabbed his sleeve.
He yanked it out of my grasp and faced me. His face was white with anger. His lips were shaking. “How could you do it?” he cried, his voice breaking. “Why?”
I choked. “I was trying to protect you!”
“Protect me?” His brows lifted in amazement. “How?”
“You were wounded. He might have killed you.”
“Then why didn’t you go after him?” Jake demanded. “You weren’t hurt. With the trees for cover and the wolf’s speed, you could have taken him down!”
I couldn’t explain. Because I didn’t understand it myself. All I knew was that letting Tom take the morphing cube had seemed absolutely the right thing to do.
And something still told me I was right.

That's not how a calculated risk works.  Either she was working on mindless, selfish emotion, or that was the Ellimist making his move to save the Taxxons from being completely wiped out in the final battle.  I find myself not wanting to hate Cassie overly much, so I lean towards the latter.

We know the Ellimist like to bend rules and play subtle games.  He lies constantly, providing people with a completely false scenario in which they think they're sure of what they're seeing, unaware of the second layer he's working.  Think about #7, where the whole show he put on was just to lead them to the Kandarona.  The deal he made with Tobias in #13 was a complete scam; if he really wanted Tobias to have what would make him happy, he would have given him his human form, removed the time limit, told him Loren's address, and returned all her memories.  But no, the Ellimist didn't need a happy kid, he needed a soldier with complete mastery over his hawk form.  #26 wasn't really about the Iskoort, it was about removing the Howlers from the playing field.  The Iskoort solution to the war was too long-term to be at all relevant to the Animorphs, and the events in #54 have diverged from that potential future enough to make this outcome kind of unlikely.  The Ellimist just wanted to get rid of the pawns that were wreaking so much havoc on unsuspecting species.  He knew that the Howlers couldn't be beaten in combat, and the Animorphs would have to find a better way of taking them out.  So he challenged Crayak to a battle of champions and made sure to include Erek on the roster, magnificently playing everything into his hands.  So yeah.  The Ellimist is already a cheating scumbag (although, he is doing it to save as many lives as possible, so maybe not a scumbag in this context).  It wouldn't even have to be desperation, this kind of thing is just in character for him.

I wouldn't say that the cosmic game makes the actions in the Yeerk War any less significant.  It's all about perspective.  Someday, our sun is going to expand and swallow up everything up to Mars, and then burn itself out.  Earth will be completely gone.  Humanity will most likely be extinct long before then.  That doesn't make the day-to-day struggles of people around the world any less important.  They're both set values that are completely irrelevant to each other.  Two sides of a larger coin.  The Animorphs still suffered and struggled for everything, it's not like the Ellimist just handed them victory.  They're still heroes in their own right, even if he gave them the occasional nudge through Cassie or other means.

Besides, it would make for a great moment for any character to learn that their entire life was as much of a sham as any of the Ellimist interactions above.  It's only cheap if you make it nothing more than a hand wave.  It becomes real if you actually bother to explore it in depth.  Example, look at Inception.  Everyone hates when a story ends with,"it was just a dream all along," because it's almost always done with nothing to back up the literary device, making it fall completely flat and negate the whole story.  Inception made it matter by making the entire story about dreams from the get-go.  When the,"or is it?" moment happened in the end, it wasn't just sprung upon you.  There were hints all the way throughout the movie calling reality into question, including the entire premise of the film itself.  It forces you, as a viewer, to start asking yourself questions and wondering.  No one called that ending cheap.  Frustrating maybe, but not cheap.  And in Cassie's case, how do you even react to the revelation?  How do you go on from there with that knowledge?  It also kind of parallels the Hork-Bajir Chronicles, when they discovered that the Hork-Bajir are an artificial species and it rocked Dak Hamee to the core, so that's something. 

The last thing I want to do is just hand-wave all her actions away.  She did stuff, and she needs to face it.  My idea of the Ellimist's involvement is just to provide purpose to it all, whether it was right or wrong.  Besides, if Cassie is part of the Ellimist, then it's still all her own action. 

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 05:03:22 AM »
I'm fine with the purpose part, but also sort of think maybe K.A. went too far with it toward the end.  And it's sort of contradicted in places, like there's that downright awesome "you mattered" line to Rachel at the end.  If The Ellimist's been orchestrating everything with the kids, all of Cassie's foresight, Tobias overcoming the limitations of the nothlit status and still contributing majorly, a lot of the big near-death experiences, it really takes away from that.  In that case they didn't so much matter personally as just being chosen as his chess pieces.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 07:31:39 AM »
^ That.

I haven't read everything, because ya'll wrote a hell of a lot, but making Cassie anything more than Cassie is too much. Unfortunately though, that was explicitly done. She's subtemporally grounded. Don't know what that means, don't know why she is, but she is. Attributing that to the idea that she's a deliberate extension of the Ellimist though, why? That's no less hand wavy then being STG in  itself.
They did that stupid thing in MM4 were so many of the group were choosen by the Ellimist for various reasons, you'd figure they'd say out right if it was Elfangor's time shifted son, brother, and that chuck of the Ellimist in the short girl.
I took STG to be some rare attribute of some beings of the Animorphs universe, and Cassie just happens to be one of them, and the Ellimist took advantage of that.

Most importantly, though I don't think it made her infallible. Cassie dicked up a lot, and she got lucky a lot. The whole she knew giving the box up would divide the Yeerks always seemed like a retroactive fix to me.
I agree with the idea that she's unusually perceptive, and that things work out too well for her, but you know, there are a handful of people like that in the world. Sometimes people never have to grow or face the consequences. Rare, but it happens. Makes for a boring story character because the thrill is in watching them grow, but for some people it just works (also the problem with Harry Potter's Harry Potter).
Saying it's because she's an extension of super-dude makes that worse, if only because it he did get over played in the end.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 08:26:48 AM »
Yeah.  I don't think it's specifically said that the Ellimist was orchestrating everything though, it's kind of implied but it's vague enough that you can draw your own interpretation from it.  The way I see it personally is that he's sort of nudging things here and there, but doesn't actually get involved in the free will stuff, he doesn't micromanage it all.  I just like it better that way than, you know, "he hand-picked all of these kids by doing some mathematical calculation and thought they had the best chance of succeeding, manipulating them all into being at the mall at the same time that night, having Elfangor crash in the construction site" and such.  I know stuff like the sub-temporal thing contradicts that, it just always seemed out of place to me.  Better when Ellimist's kept to being the big-picture guy, shaping things broadly but not actually explicitly using them as chess pieces in the sense that their free will is just an illusion.  I don't really see it as a fate/destiny thing, personally.

Offline NickDaGriff

• My deviantArt
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 12:35:08 PM »
I'm not attributing it to fate or destiny.  Even the Ellimist isn't fully omniscient/prescient.  He just has a good grasp of potential futures, but he can overlook things and screw up.  If Crayak's capable of it, so is he.  The fact that he lends a helping hand and gives them the occasional nudge doesn't take away from the Animorphs' free will any more than typical daily human social interaction.  Think about how much the influence of other people has affected your life.  Chances are, the typical person has made some pretty drastic changes in their life based on what other people around them were doing.  And yet, it's still technically free will. 

To me, saying that Cassie just happens to have all these rare attributes on top of all these terrible decisions miraculously working out is far more contrived and makes her more of a Mary Sue than having one big subtle attribute that explains everything, not to mention the sheer unlikelihood of the Animorphs roster containing all these highly important kids without some kind of setup.  And I think the Ellimist wouldn't say just how important she is in the end of Megamorphs #4 if she is part of him.  In this capacity, she's basically an anti-Drode, working to balance out his influence on things.  If the Drode doesn't know that he's being specifically countered, all the better.  Most important rule of warfare, don't brag about how awesome your plans are, and don't interrupt your enemy when they're making a mistake.  Given the Ellimist's subtlety, that would be way out of character for him.  He only told the Drode as much as was already obvious, and his apparent gloating was to make the Drode feel as though he'd been given the full breadth of the plan.

Personally, I love the idea of the Ellimist being even more of a Magnificent Bastard than is apparent at first glance.  I loved his book, love the character, love the whole concept.  Manipulative trickster heroes are kind of my thing, I love clever and complex solutions to problems that leave the villain wondering just what the heck even happened.  Still, there really is more to him than just being a big chess player in the sky.  He was legitimately sad when Rachel died.  Sad enough that he completely opened up to her on a personal level. 
Darn it, every time I go back and read the last chapter of the Ellimist Chronicles, I feel like crying again.

Even if they all are just game pieces to the Ellimist, it doesn't make them any less important to the world as people.  Like I said, everyday life and the cosmic game are far enough removed that you can consider them completely irrelevant to each other.

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 01:31:42 PM »
Well, sure, but doesn't it bug you looking at it that way?  That Rachel's sacrifice was pretty much down to the Ellimist making that eventuate, rather than her and Jake scheming it all themselves?  The "you mattered" thing doesn't hold any weight, if when it comes down to it, it was him making them matter through some crazy 4th/5th-dimensional manipulation of the cosmos.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 01:33:40 PM by NothingFromSomething »