Author Topic: e-books dont see to be edited at all.  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Question

e-books dont see to be edited at all.
« on: September 06, 2008, 02:05:33 PM »
The e-books of the series do not seem to be edited at all.

There is a ridiculous amount of spelling mistakes that one or two read throughs would spot immediately.

A lot of sentences start with the first portion of a word cut off. Some words are mysteriously replaced by strange symbols. Please look at the first sentence of book 38, chapter 27. It is incomprehensible. Punctuation for thought speak is often missing or replaced by strange symbols. Ending portions of thought speak can be cut off completely leaving a huge blank space.

2 entire pages are completely missing from book 38. Pages 120 and 121 are simply not there.

I am confused at how these mistakes managed to get in there.

Were the e-books not scanned directly from the hardcopy books and then cleaned? If so, then proof readers should have spotted all these mistakes before the book got published in the first place. I cannot imagine someone making a PDF file and manually typing in line by line for 50+ books which would explain all the mistakes.

Seriously, the quality of the e-books is pretty horrible. Why is it not possible for them to be edited and the mistakes fixed, especially missing pages and incomprehensible sentences?

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • Richard's Animorphs Forum
Re: e-books dont see to be edited at all.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 02:10:26 PM »
You make it sound like we are paid, or otherwise compensated to provide the books which are made free for you to download.
The Animorphs ebooks which are available to the public is the product of combined efforts by our members; not paid professionals.

Why is it not possible for them to be edited and the mistakes fixed, especially missing pages and incomprehensible sentences?

While we do acknowledge the errors in the books, editing is only possible with the help of persons willing to do so.

Please see this board: http://animorphsforum.com/forum/index.php/board,14.0.html to make edits, etc.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 02:18:06 PM by Richard »

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
    • Hirac Delest - An Animorphs Archive
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 03:34:41 PM »
Pretty much voicing what Richard said. The e-books are a fan project that various individuals here have spent a better part of their spare time towards. No one was paid for their time or effort. They simply did it because they loved the series. Please be a bit more grateful for what you do have.

Also, the project is still a work-in-progress (as far as I know), so obviously not all the mistakes have been been caught or fixed yet. Follow Richard's link if you feel you can help out or provide something better.

Also check out: ANIMORPHS ANIMATED | ANIMORPHS 300

Xbox Live/PSN Gamertag: Aximlli

Offline Yarin

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Per scientia totus est ostendo sum
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 10:19:55 PM »
Well i think the e-books are great (you may call me a kiss @$$ now)
Live in peace and let your enemies be, but fiercely protect the ones you love. The Nyac Credo.

"Take me to jail please a Klingon is after me" Cave Guy Freakazoid  Freak-A-Panel.

"The fiction will see the real. The answer will question still."  Coheed and Cambria The Willing Well I: Fuel For The Feeding End 

The Pentagon has no contract with aliens or with afterlife entities... That I'm aware of... At this time

Offline V2113

• Recently Returned Raffian, RRR
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 03:45:01 PM »
I won't but I do agree, the E-books rock! But I also semi agree with Question, they do need some editing. That is why I am going to ask one of the people who can lock threads to lock this one, because it is not a big enough topic to post a thread about.
I used to be V, before that I was Tobiasfan21. Then I disappeared for several months after being kidnapped by the Twilight series. Don't make me talk about it, it was horrible. Now, I'm V2113.

I am currently a Heroes fan who enjoys writing more than anything in the world.