Author Topic: What did you like/dislike about the Animorphs?  (Read 4261 times)

Offline WeLeadTheLost

Re: What did you like/dislike about the Animorphs?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 03:47:08 PM »
Liked

1.  I loved how each book was narrated by a different character and seen through their own unique perspective. Every Animorph had his/her own unique personality, the books reflected that nicely.
2. The different alien speacies. So imaginitive and diverse.
3. The way the animal instincts/bodies were described. Applegate did a great job of conveying what it would feel like to actually BE a hawk, tiger, ect
4. The humor. I never get tired of Ax's antics.

Disliked

1. The last book. Yes applegate wanted the Animorphs to go out fighting, and I respect that, but I personally, was hoping for a conclusive, if not happy, ending.
2. The TV show....ugh
3. the ending of "The arrival" I felt pretty sorry for Ax  :(

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
  • "I'm honestly a huge dork."
    • My Book
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 04:19:13 AM »
Disliked

1. The last book. Yes applegate wanted the Animorphs to go out fighting, and I respect that, but I personally, was hoping for a conclusive, if not happy, ending.
2. The TV show....ugh

I'm so glad someone understands where I'm coming from. The tv show was HORRIBLE! (Yes, that bad) I do respect Applegate's wishes, but, seriously, I would prefer if it were conclusive... Anyways, thanks for saying that so I know I'm not the only person to think that... :)
My Tumblr
Saffa is my shorm and RAFtwin. :D Lumy is my awesomeful RAFbrother. ;D
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer 2013
Best RAFian Supervillan/Minion Duo 2013 (Saffa/Abby :D Morph Twins)
RAFian Artist of the Year 2016

Offline Adam

• British
  • Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Animorphs Fic Writer
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 09:36:29 AM »
I must admit that I was left rather disappointed with the TV series. I was so desperate to watch it as well!
Check out my Animorphs fan-fiction on this site!
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=9858.0

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 06:46:41 PM »
     What I liked:

1) The David Trilogy. It's getting pretty specific (bordering on a whole other topic) but this was probably some of the best books in the series. I've given my reasons as to why in other threads, but I won't post them here unless someone is curious.

2) I am also a fan of having the books narrated by different characters--imagine an Animorphs series that was narrated solely by Jake, or Cassie.

3) The shade of gray morality--made the series what it was. And it was surprisingly adult for a 9-12 series.

4) The Animorphs created more Animorphs-- David and the Auxiliaries. I enjoyed this little experiment, though the fate of the Auxiliaries was more than tragic.

5) The cover art--mostly-- was great.

6) The Aliens.

7) The surprisingly adult themes that I didn't even notice until I was an adult! Cannibalism, genocide, slavery, war, etc.

8) Jake wasn't always a great leader, and that was OK.

9) The voluntary Controllers--and even the Yeerks-- were sympathetic.

10) The Animorphs is a 1990's book series-- I love this, and I wonder if I would hold it near and dear to my heart if it came in the 80's or mid-2000s.

11) Probably most important of all-- It appealed to outsiders.

What I disliked:

1) Agreed on the repetitive intro--though, paradoxically, it was a good way of getting people into the series. My first book was 23: The Predator, and I don't remember being confused as to what was going on. Mainly, though, it was just grating--especially when doing a re-read.

2) Some of the Megamorphs books and side adventures--like when the Animorphs go to Atlantis. Now, that's not to say that they weren't good books. But they mostly just felt pointless--especially with the Megamorphs, where time travel made most of the adventures either forgetful (for the characters) or entirely insignificant for the plot's purpose...Though, maybe that was the point?

3) The occasional conflict between Rachel and Jake in regards to leadership. I understand what they were doing with it, but it didn't feel natural...

4) The fact that most portrayals of Marco (the TV Series, fan fiction, fan videos, etc) emphasize his status as half-Latino, or Hispanic. I get equality. But really, the TV series especially put too much emphasis on this that Marco looked like a walking stereotype. You can hear it in some of the voice work for the video games, and some fan fiction makes a big deal of this as well. How often in the series do they ACTUALLY bring up the fact that Marco is half-Hispanic? I don't know, maybe it's a cultural thing? I'm from Canada, so I don't know if there's a huge importance on such things.

5) Animorphs 48: The Return--how David's return and departure was handled. And the fact that we don't get to hear David's side of the story.

6) We never find out more about the Ssstram, Nahara, or the Mak, aside from the fact that the Yeerks supposedly enslaved the entirety of their respective races. Sure, this gives us a chance to let our imaginations run, etc. But really, if they enslaved the whole race of any one of these creatures, how come we don't see any Mak-Controllers? I don't know. It just always bothered me, personally.

7) Tobias never uses his morphing powers for anything but reconnaissance. Yea, yea, we get that you're good at it. And we get how much you love your Hawk body. But I mean really-- you're just gonna fly around occasionally attacking some controllers while your buddies are in the heat of the battle? Come on, man, you have your powers back--USE THEM!

8) Cassie's overall character--more often than not, she's poorly handled.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:13:33 PM by Empress Goose »
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline donut

• Xtreme Member
  • Don't Blink
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 07:15:59 PM »
What I liked

I liked 13-26.  I think that was the best part of series hands down.  KA seemed to really get into the writing and story through that part.  She was even foreshadowing and developing events several books in advance.  I thought that was really cool.

I liked the character development.  The ghostwriters dropped the ball with it, but until then it was excellent.  I loved the way they struggled with some of the decisions they had to make, and how some of those decisions changed them.  I liked that the characters had breakdowns during throughout the series from the stress.

The humor!  I think that's what really hooked me into the series.  I couldn't read through most of the books without breaking out laughing.

The development of the bad guys.  Visser 3 didn't really get developed and always had a kind of stereotypical stupid badguy thing going on, but all the others were intelligent, had their own problems and power struggles.

Ax's awkwardness, cinnabunz bunzzzza

What I didn't like

Cassie   :P   The first part of the series she was annoying, but ok.  Later she just got really whiney and had the attitude "we can't actually hurt the people who we're at war with".  Later in the series she even refused to help destroy the yeerk pool because the yeerks would starve, even when she was ok with doing the same thing by destroying the kandrona earlier.

The ghostwriters, how they undid the character development.  Especially with Rachel.  Rachel was pretty intelligent, she loved battle, but she wasn't stupid about it.  Then she turned into someone who's only personality traits were insulting Marco and wanting to fight.

There also seemed to be obvious things that should have been done by both sides, but especially the yeerks.  Like, once Visser 3 knew about the peace movement and became concerned with it, there was an easy solution: swap hosts.  All they had to do was put a new yeerk in the host and they'd know everything the other yeerk had done in that controller.  The peace movement would have been stamped out pretty quickly.  There seemed to be a lot of those type of things in the books.

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 10:34:13 PM »

^Good point. You'd think he would have done SOMETHING.
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline MegaMorph

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 02:34:52 PM »
What I liked: Each book being narrated by a different character. I liked that I was able to learn about their life and personalities on a different level.

All the different alien species, very creative. I don't think my imagination would be able to come up with such elaborate descriptions of the different alien species.

What I disliked: How every book kind of gave you a walk-through of what was happening. Everyone was described again by the character "writing" the book, the taxxons, Hork-Bajir, Andalites (Ax and Visser 3.) The beginnings of the books were very repetitive.

The last books ending. I wish we would have known what happened after they rammed the Blade Ship.

NateSean

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 10:03:43 AM »
A lot of people don't like the repetitive nature of the books openings. And I admit, when Book 16 began differently I was shouting halleluja in my head, but if someone picked up the series in the middle of it, you'd need them to understand what they were reading.

That first few pages can keep new readers and make them want to go back to the beginning.