Author Topic: Why does the hit song 'Viva La Vida' by Coldplay remind me of Elfangor so much?  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Yorick Brown

I don't get it.
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
I don't suppose you were reading The Andalite Chronicles at some point while listening to the song? It doesn't really remind me of Elfangor, but I have had similar things happen to me with other songs. One song still reminds me of the Darren Shan Saga even though it's been a few years since I read it, and another song my brother was playing last time we were in Scotland reminds me of the Mirror Dreams/Mirror Wakes books I was reading at the time.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Yorick Brown

No. I wasn't reading that book though I'm reminded of it whenever I think of the song.

I think it's because of the lyrics about the hardships that a leader faces reminds me of Elfangor's struggles in the book. Not only the tough battles he fought but also the perfect human life he left behind when the Ellimist whisked him away (never and honest word but that was when I ruled the world...).
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
"Revolutionaries wait for my head on a silver plate"...yeah this song reminds me more of Visser Three than anyone else x3 But I can see the whole, 'Elfangor was on top of the world and lost what he had' thing.

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Raskipper

My media arts professor warned me that the process of getting a degree in digital media would warp your perspective on films and movies.  He was right.  Often, I will hear a song and my first reaction would be "Wow!  That would be an amazing end credits song for a movie adapted from certain Animorphs books.  For example, "We Are" by Kids in the Way would be an awesome song for The Invasion, "Mama Said" by Metallica would be epic on #30, and "Reckless Youth" by Pillar would play nicely after viewing #7 as a movie.

Offline XenomorphLV426

:P  Of all the Metallica songs available you choose "Mama Said"?  They country & western song?

Marco would probably be disappointed.  "Fight Fire With Fire", "Blackened", "Fuel", come ON man.  Energyyy.

Offline Raskipper

#30:  Marco plans to basically kill his mother to save the world.  The ending is simply Marco and Rachel sitting in his room, wondering if she actually died or not.  Not exactly a scene to have end with a metal song.  "Mama Said" is a song that deals with trying to get over the death of the singer's mother, basically letting her go and trying to get on with his life.  How does this not fit the situation?

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
Honestly, the song "Livin' la Vida Loca" seems more like it...
for me, at least.
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline XenomorphLV426

Ricardo Martinezzz, maracas and salsa and stuff.

Offline TheFearlessLeader

I have a list of songs that I cannot listen to without reminiscing about the Animorphs. I listened to them every time I sat down with a new book. I would put 5 CD's in my 5 disc changer and just lay or sit and read while the music played.

I get sad even thinking about it now. I used to open my window hoping to see Tobias come flying in. I would hear the noises outside, feel the cool breeze coming in, and look out into the dark, imagining that I was a member of the team.

You think about it now, and it's like, geez that is pathetic, but then you realize it was just that amazing of a book series to pull you in and never let you leave.
I went to the window and looked up at the stars. Somewhere up there, around one of those
cold, twinkling stars, was the Andalite home world. Somewhere up there was . . . hope.

<They'll come,> Tobias said. <The Andalites will come. And until then . . . >

I nodded and wiped away my tears. "Yeah," I said. "Until then, we fight."