Author Topic: Non-Acting roles available  (Read 16952 times)

Offline Mr. Guy36

• im still in ur ear, still controllin ur body
Non-Acting roles available
« on: July 18, 2009, 08:53:24 PM »
The site is pretty much ready for work, but we're missing one piece of the puzzle: everyone who doesn't act!

What we need are:
Timers - These are the people who cut together the multiple parts into one single audio stream.
Directors - You direct. More? Fine. These people will be reviewing the actor's work before sending it to the timers.
Managers - Responsible for directing the "flow of traffic" of various tasks to various roles. I can do some of this to start, but eventually we will need others.

I don't think I missed any jobs, but I might add something if I forget it.

If you can do any of these, post with what job you want, and (if you aren't signed up yet) your username for the site. Weathel will get people signed up when he has the chance, but we can start assigning jobs right away.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

I refuse to remove this sig because of some petty argument. RAF must remain solid.
By popular demand, now with Gaz!

Above silence, the illuminating storms - Dying storms - Illuminate the silence above

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
Re: Non-Acting roles available
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 06:34:25 AM »
well since weathel thinks I'm a (non-official) director, why not? director then... although I think I might give up some of my acting roles, just so it's fair to everyone. depends on how many people are still in this project...

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 12:10:29 AM »
I think I could pull off being a timer, actually. I was quite good at that back in audio/video class. And I though I have, like, 3 acting roles, let's face it, I still don't get that many lines, and I want to be able to help out more.

I'll need to run a couple of tests through GarageBand, first, to make sure it's possible for me to do it on this computer, but I'm 99% sure that I can do it.

EDIT: After doing a quick test, it seems like I can import mp3s into GarageBand with no trouble. And iTunes can convert most audio files into mp3... Still, it would be easier for me if everything was an mp3 to start with. ^^;
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 12:20:20 AM by AniDragon »
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Coal Kropotkin

• The anarchist formerly known as Prince
  • Gold Donor
  • Howdy!
    • Mastodon
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 07:42:46 AM »
If the job's not taken, I'll sign ip for Director! :D

I've been wanting to get more active in some project, and I really think I could do this! :D

If you want me, I'm here!

*EDIT*

Wait, what site am I supposed to sign up for/post my username for?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 07:44:36 AM by Caerdhamos »

RAFEngaged to Ash! <3
Kat's Awesome!

Updated phone: 423 401 8527

RAFJOP at your service!

Offline Mr. Guy36

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 10:05:46 AM »
Ok, a few clarifications.

Anidragon, you can be a timer. Do you already have an account on the site? We're probably going to be using FLAC files to keep the size down but keep full quality. You can use this here to convert them. Just don't convert them to mp3 or another lossy format.
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Audio/MacFLAC.shtml

Broken, sure, you can be a director. I saw you found the thread for the site. The bad news is that weathel just left for a week, so we'll get a list of everyone who needs to sign up and then get them all at once.

Now that we have at least one of everyone except manager, we can pretty much start.

EDIT: now Anidragon actually has a link to follow. Whoops.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 10:54:50 AM by Mr. Guy 36 »

I refuse to remove this sig because of some petty argument. RAF must remain solid.

Above silence, the illuminating storms - Dying storms - Illuminate the silence above

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 10:56:25 AM »
I'm already registered, yeah. I'm not sure if GarageBand can read FLAC files, but so far it seems to be very good about most sound files. If I encounter any trouble, I'll let you guys know.

Do I need to change anything on my profile for the original site? Or is someone else taking care of that?
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 04:28:51 PM »
Ok, a few clarifications.

Anidragon, you can be a timer. Do you already have an account on the site? We're probably going to be using FLAC files to keep the size down but keep full quality. You can use this here to convert them. Just don't convert them to mp3 or another lossy format.
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Audio/MacFLAC.shtml

Broken, sure, you can be a director. I saw you found the thread for the site. The bad news is that weathel just left for a week, so we'll get a list of everyone who needs to sign up and then get them all at once.

Now that we have at least one of everyone except manager, we can pretty much start.

EDIT: now Anidragon actually has a link to follow. Whoops.
so... does that mean I don't get director? not that I mind, but I would like it clarified before starting...

Offline Coal Kropotkin

• Gold Donor
  • Howdy!
    • Mastodon
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 06:09:19 PM »
Well, Morf has seniority, so if he wants it, it's his, I no wanna step on toes.

However, if I am to be a director, what exactly shall I be doing? Do y'all send the audio files to my email, and I download them? Do I need any special programmes?

RAFEngaged to Ash! <3
Kat's Awesome!

RAFJOP at your service!

Offline Mr. Guy36

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 06:34:34 PM »
A director. We could certainly use more than one. The way the system will work is:
Manager creates segment, assigns segment to actor.
Actor records, submits to director.
Director listens, critiques, either sends back to actor or to timer.
Timer edits all segments together into a chapter.

Basically, you critique the actor's work and make suggestions. All the file distribution is done through the site. As for programs, anything that plays FLAC. Try VLC, it's a great program to have anyway, and it plays nearly everything.

Morf, could you take a screenshot of the audiobook site and send it to me? I want to see weathel created a different account type for you.

Offline Coal Kropotkin

• Gold Donor
  • Howdy!
    • Mastodon
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 06:47:56 PM »
I think I have VLC! :D Okay, so yeah, whenever I can help!

One thing, I'm not gonna e online quite as much for a little while, the internet at work is gone, and I'm moving soon. But, I should still be able to do this, considering I have a laptop, and Wifi is everywhere now-a-days.

Also, if anyone needs to reach me about this to tell me to hurry the hell up, ect, if I'm not online (My email is: codythibault@gmail.com btw.) you can (almost) always reach me on my phone, 757-319-3600, or AIM, which sends a text message directly to my phone. AIM is in my siggy. Phone number is too, now that I think of it. Haha.

So, just gimme my post-orders, and I'm ready to roll! :D

RAFEngaged to Ash! <3
Kat's Awesome!

RAFJOP at your service!

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 07:34:49 PM »
Well, Morf has seniority, so if he wants it, it's his, I no wanna step on toes.
surely it's not just one director is it?

well I'm not sure what page of the site you want, so here's the home page...

Offline Mr. Guy36

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 09:06:09 PM »
Alright, so actors and other roles don't look any different. However, I did notice that you are listed as a director. I'm sure weathel can just change member types. We'll add that to a to-do list. On that note, does someone want to make him a to-do list with accounts to make/change?

Once he gets back, we should be good to go.

Offline Coal Kropotkin

• Gold Donor
  • Howdy!
    • Mastodon
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 05:33:13 AM »
Ummm, like I said, if I can be of any help, just tell me!:D

My point: If there's anything other than Director you want my help with, just let me know. For the next few days, I've plenty of free time! :D

RAFEngaged to Ash! <3
Kat's Awesome!

RAFJOP at your service!

Offline Mr. Guy36

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 06:31:43 AM »
Well, I think more than one director would be best for now. Like I said, anybody can temporarily manage. Broken, if you could make a list for weathel? Just figure out who needs to be signed up for what type of account. I'm about to make a thread for my temporary departure, so someone needs to keep track until weathel gets back Saturday-ish. Until that, there's not much actual directing to be done.

Offline Coal Kropotkin

• Gold Donor
  • Howdy!
    • Mastodon
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 03:42:29 PM »
Sure! Okay, guys, you 'eard 'im! PM me if you still need to be signed up. :D

RAFEngaged to Ash! <3
Kat's Awesome!

RAFJOP at your service!